U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,599,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsong328 View Post
Public transportation is a joke in AR--- Libraries are closed on Sunday -- Banks close early --
PRo -sports -- I think not !! if it ain't a RAZORBACk it ain't worth watching .. so I have been told ..
PLEASE-- wake up people !!! Plus can you beliece all of the stalling over something like a lottery.
These people need to take a look at waht Colorado has accomplished with the lottery money .. OMG-- what a concept -- better schools, park, libraties, handicapp facilities and soooooooo much more ..
I agree about banks and the lottery. My bank is only open from 9-4 and it's closed Saturday so I have had a $200 check just sitting for months that I haven't been able to cash. People are just tryig to stall the lottery because it goes against their religious beliefs.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
I have never had anyone ask me what church I belong to unless they came to my door trying to get me to go to theirs.
Ditto

I have met an awful lot of people and have had extended conversations with most of them, multiple conversations with most.

Never once had the subject of religion come up.

Looks like I'm gonna need to go to where some of these folks live for theological discussion & debate.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 AM

837 posts, read 1,937,762 times
My bank is open from 7 - 7 M-F and 9 - 1 on Saturdays. And they're local.

And the lottery was voted in, wasn't it? Why would people's religious beliefs be slowing it down now? You really think you can implement such a large program statewide in six months? If you want to do a slapdash job, maybe. (It's supposed to be going by October, btw.)

Honestly.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 AM

39,020 posts, read 23,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Ditto

I have met an awful lot of people and have had extended conversations with most of them, multiple conversations with most.

Never once had the subject of religion come up.

Looks like I'm gonna need to go to where some of these folks live for theological discussion & debate.
Whenever I've moved I've had neighbors come over to welcome me (and to satisfy their curiosity), and some neighbors have asked if I belong to a church as a precursor to inviting me to attend theirs. I usually sidestep the entire topic, and people drop it. When I was younger and we first moved to Arkansas, Rogers was much smaller and a greater proportion of the social life revolved around church, so I think it was more important. Some people still devote much of their social time to churches, and so the church is a more important aspect of their lives. Coming from the North, I remember religion being a much more private aspect of life. Asking about one's faith was considered a very personal question. But in my experiences in Arkansas, a question about which church you attend isn't so much a question about faith, it's more of a social question. People are trying to connect with you, and when your name (as in, oh, you're Saul Poe's niece, from over in Red Eye!) doesn't make the connection, your church might (as in, oh, you go to Elmdale Baptist, why you must know Elsie Dinkins!). In small, close-knit communities, people are used to knowing their neighbors. So making those connections with people is part of the getting-to-know-you process.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,464,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The question is usually always asked within the first 10 minutes of meeting somebody in my experience. Nothing in particular wrong with that except it really shows the extent that religion dominates the social scene here.
I think what we're learning in this discussion is how much NWA has changed as a result of outside migration. In other parts of the state, particularly in Jonesboro, where I lived for 8 years, religion dominates the social scene. What bchris02 describes is very commonplace there.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 AM

163 posts, read 542,881 times
Quote:
The question is usually always asked within the first 10 minutes of meeting somebody in my experience. Nothing in particular wrong with that except it really shows the extent that religion dominates the social scene here.
I was never, EVER, asked that question ............... and I'm here almost 2 years now. So I think that it's a bit of an Urban Myth to say that it's such a big deal. It might be in some rural areas but I'm sure that's the case in most States.

As far as religion dominating the social scene, you should try hanging out in The RiverMarket or Dickson Street over the weekend. The only service that I see at these places is 'bar service'!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:06 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
But I have to agree with Jenni, maybe it depends on where in the state you live. I did have a few people, when we first moved here ask if I had a church or church family? This was particularly asked when I would hit garage sales and mention to people we had just moved here. In every case, all I had to say was yes, we do: end of story..Again, I haven't been asked that too many times though..

Nita

Old 06-25-2009, 09:08 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
My bank is open from 7 - 7 M-F and 9 - 1 on Saturdays. And they're local.

And the lottery was voted in, wasn't it? Why would people's religious beliefs be slowing it down now? You really think you can implement such a large program statewide in six months? If you want to do a slapdash job, maybe. (It's supposed to be going by October, btw.)

Honestly.
Ours is open from early morning (I am not sure what time) until 5pm and Sat mornings drive thru. The lottery thing, yep, I thought it was November, but regardless it is on line with what we were told when it passed. These things don't just materialize over night..

Nita

Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 AM

837 posts, read 1,937,762 times
The ones who come to my door are Jehovah's Witnesses and LDS. Not neighbors. And I haven't had anybody come by in quite some time. Maybe the word's out that we're hopeless.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,434,158 times
I'm your neighbor to the north & I think Arkansas is pretty decent. The country/mountain areas are awesome for hiking. Hot Springs is a nice town too.

Pace of life for the most part seemed laid back there, which is the polar opposite of here where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or