U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,360,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
I was never, EVER, asked that question ............... and I'm here almost 2 years now. So I think that it's a bit of an Urban Myth to say that it's such a big deal. It might be in some rural areas but I'm sure that's the case in most States.

As far as religion dominating the social scene, you should try hanging out in The RiverMarket or Dickson Street over the weekend. The only service that I see at these places is 'bar service'!
In the rural areas I'm familiar with it is present but not dominate. I would estimate that about 75% of the people I know attend a church on Sunday.

I resisted for quite a while when I moved here, and then realizing that the vast majority of people that I knew from the farms down our main road went to an area church, the wife and I dropped in one Sunday to test the waters.

We were, to say the least, shocked.

A lot of these folks have to feed livestock first, and then go to church. There they were in their overalls and workboots.

Short service, short Sunday school, and then people split into groups to go out for lunch.

As one of my neighbors put it, it's not so much the services that draws people, it's seeing most of your neighbors in one place, once a week, seeing how everybody's doing, if anyone needs help, who's sick, taking time off the farm to communicate with neighbors.

I'm not a "bless you brother" kind of guy, and neither is anyone that I attend church with.

I will be the first one to admit that there are churchs *everywhere* that will beat you half to death with the bible, and tell you what a sinner you are, and you better repent, and by the way, here's the offering tray.

That may be for some people, I don't judge, but it's not for me and I don't want to be around that atmosphere.

A lot of churches out here are attended by people not so much seeking spiritual offerings, but having an extended social structure.

Maybe that's right, maybe it's wrong, each can make their own judgement, but I doubt there's many places one can go and not find a group of "bible thumpers", or a group of "neighbors".

However, I will offer this, I know people that go to maybe 5 different churchs, and the only time it has ever come up in conversation is when someone mentions another family and I say, "Yeah, I saw them Sunday, they're doing OK".

Then they'll say, "Oh, you must go to <that church>, we go to <this church> with <names 5 families>.

That's the extent of it.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 PM

163 posts, read 543,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post

A lot of churches out here are attended by people not so much seeking spiritual offerings, but having an extended social structure.
There you go. I think that a lot of people attend church for that specific reason ............. the social aspect. You get to see people that you haven't seen all week, and you can catch up with all the local news. Where else are you going to see who recently changed their hair color, who just bought a new suit, or who has the latest Louis Vuitton bag?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,611,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
There you go. I think that a lot of people attend church for that specific reason ............. the social aspect. You get to see people that you haven't seen all week, and you can catch up with all the local news. Where else are you going to see who recently changed their hair color, who just bought a new suit, or who has the latest Louis Vuitton bag?
Correct. In most places in Arkansas, church is pretty much the only way to really be plugged into the community. While up north or in the cities people will invite you to the bar or coffee house for sociability down here they invite you to church. I think the meshing of religion and politics over the past 20 years is a big reason people find this so offensive, but that is another thread.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,360,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
While up north or in the cities people will invite you to the bar or coffee house for sociability down here they invite you to church.
Well, considering that it's over 50 miles to a bar around here, and the "coffee houses" also hold the birthing cow or horse, church is a good alternative.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM

837 posts, read 1,938,913 times
I guess that's why it's never happened to me! I've got a bar on the next block, and a coffeehouse down a few more.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:03 PM

44,621 posts, read 43,151,983 times
For myself, I tend to meet alot of people at school. My thing was this: Whenever I went to church, I saw people at church, I worshiped, stuck around for a few minutes after, and then I was gone for the day, and chances were,I wouldn't see most of them that week because they were either married or had other lives to live. Being a college student, I rarely saw college students at a Sunday service. I met college students at college fittingly enough. Usually, I meet people, I wouldn't say coincidence, but I usually wasn't seeking it out initially. I might happen to share something in common with someone.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:01 PM

28 posts, read 56,422 times
Here's your answer - There are exceptions to everything but generally speaking, like in 95% of the cases, people in Arkanasas are not very sophisticated or educated. They are 20+ years behind the rest of this country in every department including football. Poor, dumb, White trash covers a vast amount of the population.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneBramage View Post
Here's your answer - There are exceptions to everything but generally speaking, like in 95% of the cases, people in Arkanasas are not very sophisticated or educated. They are 20+ years behind the rest of this country in every department including football. Poor, dumb, White trash covers a vast amount of the population.
I as well as many on here take that as a huge personal insult. 95%, what a crock of bull..Have you lived here, if so, when and wher?? Let's talk football? Where are you getting your wonderful information? It seems to me the owner of the DAllas Cowboys is from AR, are you saying he knows nothing about the sport? By the way, I hate the Cowboys...What about Clinton, 20 years behind times, I don't like him either and I am sure Mike Huckabee is really stupid and uneducated..I could go on and on, but it is time for me to call the guys in from the back 40 so we can eat neckbones and cabbage for dinner with some sweet tea and greens!!!!

Nita

Old 07-01-2009, 05:36 PM

206 posts, read 378,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I as well as many on here take that as a huge personal insult. 95%, what a crock of bull..Have you lived here, if so, when and wher?? Let's talk football? Where are you getting your wonderful information? It seems to me the owner of the DAllas Cowboys is from AR, are you saying he knows nothing about the sport? By the way, I hate the Cowboys...What about Clinton, 20 years behind times, I don't like him either and I am sure Mike Huckabee is really stupid and uneducated..I could go on and on, but it is time for me to call the guys in from the back 40 so we can eat neckbones and cabbage for dinner with some sweet tea and greens!!!!

Nita
I agree. The majority of people I have met in Arkansas are not the stereotypical vision that most outsiders have of them. I think they have been watching too much TV.

It doesn't matter what state you are from, there are uneducated people everywhere.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 PM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
I agree. The majority of people I have met in Arkansas are not the stereotypical vision that most outsiders have of them. I think they have been watching too much TV.

It doesn't matter what state you are from, there are uneducated people everywhere.
Thanks, I agree..Yes, there are less educated people in some states, including AR. That doesn't mean 95% and education doesn't make a person good or bad. It doesn't make people backwards nor is it a reason to dislike or bash a place. By the way, I happen to have an education as does my husband, and our kids. My husband was a political appointee to one of our Presidence. I normally do not bring this up as it has nothing to do with these threads except to clarify the fact, we are educated and yet, do not judge anyone by their schooling or their place in life, but by what kind of a person they are.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or