Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneBramage View Post
The question was "Why Do So Many People Hate Arkansas" and I was simply providing an answer that may or may not be the result of a National Poll. Of course, we all know that the highest class, the superior 5%, can be found right here on this exquisite thread...clawing their chigger bites.
This thread was moved to the Arkansas forum from the General U.S. forum. There are MANY, MANY Arkansas bashing threads over there. Most of them are based entirely on the stereotype by people who have never been to Arkansas, though I will not deny there IS some truth to the redneck hillbilly stereotype often portrayed for Arkansas.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:46 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks, I agree..Yes, there are less educated people in some states, including AR. That doesn't mean 95% and education doesn't make a person good or bad. It doesn't make people backwards nor is it a reason to dislike or bash a place. By the way, I happen to have an education as does my husband, and our kids. My husband was a political appointee to one of our Presidence. I normally do not bring this up as it has nothing to do with these threads except to clarify the fact, we are educated and yet, do not judge anyone by their schooling or their place in life, but by what kind of a person they are.

Nita
Hi Ms. Nita. I am educated also. I have a Masters in Nursing. And yet when i need my car repaired I take it to that mechanic with his 10th grade education. And oh my how i love eating all that delicious food grown by those farmers who were lucky to get thru 6th grade. The best thing about City Data is we allow almost everyone to voice thier opinions. Even the ones who arent bright enough to take thier foot out of thier mouths before speaking! Have a greay holiday sweetie!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Arkansas is a FINE and BEAUTIFUL state. I'm one of your neighbors from Oklahoma and love the people and scenery of Arkansas. What you have is to be treasured and don't ever take it for granted. Anyone that bashes the state apparently hasn't experienced what Arkansas has to offer.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
O ... M ... G!

Guns! Confederate flags! Wal-marts!

Here's a story. Was nearly 30 years ago. Out here in California, there used to be a truck stop, I think it was actually called Rebel. They'd fly a humongous Confederate flag out front. Those were obviously the days before political correctness - back when we were allowed to have high school sports teams called The Indians ... things like that. There was a Rebel truck stop at the outer fringes of LA, in Ventura.

Seems like another universe.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
O ... M ... G!

Guns! Confederate flags! Wal-marts!

Here's a story. Was nearly 30 years ago. Out here in California, there used to be a truck stop, I think it was actually called Rebel. They'd fly a humongous Confederate flag out front. Those were obviously the days before political correctness - back when we were allowed to have high school sports teams called The Indians ... things like that. There was a Rebel truck stop at the outer fringes of LA, in Ventura.

Seems like another universe.
And near that truck stop was a diner called Sambos. 10 cent bottomless cup of coffee. But I guess the name Sambo hurt someones feelings so they sold the chain off to Dennys. Personally I think people get thier feelings hurt too easy.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
And near that truck stop was a diner called Sambos. 10 cent bottomless cup of coffee. But I guess the name Sambo hurt someones feelings so they sold the chain off to Dennys. Personally I think people get thier feelings hurt too easy.
you know we were talking about Sambos not to long ago. It was a chain, at least throughout California. Never was anything meant to be racist, the story of Sambo was one all kids loved to hear from their parents. It wasn't a putdown, but those wonderful days are long past. Capt. Dan, I didn't realize they sold out to Dennys..Thanks for the input.

Nita

Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This thread was moved to the Arkansas forum from the General U.S. forum. There are MANY, MANY Arkansas bashing threads over there.
So....why would our handful of Arkansas haters darken this doorway when they have this audience over there?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:40 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Anyone that bashes the state apparently hasn't experienced what Arkansas has to offer.
....or they just experienced way too many years of it.
Arkansas is perfect for some, but for others, it's a not-so-great place to live.. to put it in an extraordinarily nice way.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM

148 posts, read 350,815 times
Just for kicks I called my mom to see whether she'd share some of those wonderful Sambo parent/child stories but the deafening silence on the other end of the phone suggested it wasn't high on her family's reading list. Applying basic kindergarten rules for a sec, if you hurt someone, even if you didn't mean to, amends must be made.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
Just for kicks I called my mom to see whether she'd share some of those wonderful Sambo parent/child stories but the deafening silence on the other end of the phone suggested it wasn't high on her family's reading list. Applying basic kindergarten rules for a sec, if you hurt someone, even if you didn't mean to, amends must be made.
but you know what, anything can be taken out of context. I don't remember all the details about the story, so unless your mom in her 70s she wouldn't either, but it was never meant, in anyway to be a put down to anyone. It was a truely delightful story and the restaurant was named Sambos with pictures of tigers on the wall etc. Any comment can be hurtful to someone if examined close enogh.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas