U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 PM

148 posts, read 303,824 times

Advertisements

Of course, silly me, what's wrong with a cute little darkie child in blackface with dramatized facial features and googly eyes or a restaurant that uses jungle imagery from the book as decor? It doesn't take a 70-year old to understand the negative connotations of early Sambo iconography and it never ceases to amaze me that there are those still willing to mourn its loss.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,547,575 times
Amen, sneezy. The fact that anyone would mourn the going-away of a restaurant chain that chose to associate itself with a clearly racist story is sad, sad, sad.

And anyone who doesn't recognize the blatant racism in Sambo is most likely a racist himself/herself. Anytime anything is abundantly clear to most folks, but not to you, you should probably step back and think about it a little more.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,974,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Amen, sneezy. The fact that anyone would mourn the going-away of a restaurant chain that chose to associate itself with a clearly racist story is sad, sad, sad.

And anyone who doesn't recognize the blatant racism in Sambo is most likely a racist himself/herself. Anytime anything is abundantly clear to most folks, but not to you, you should probably step back and think about it a little more.
What a nation of whiny,dont hurt my feelings,everyone one is out to get me babies we have become! How silly! It was just a dang restaurant!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,156,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
Of course, silly me, what's wrong with a cute little darkie child in blackface with dramatized facial features and googly eyes or a restaurant that uses jungle imagery from the book as decor? It doesn't take a 70-year old to understand the negative connotations of early Sambo iconography and it never ceases to amaze me that there are those still willing to mourn its loss.
Quote:
Are there not black-skinned people living in the jungle even today? Are not large lips and eyes that really pop against the dark skin a common feature of the black race's facial features? Do they not have dark skin? I remember the Sambo story, and I don't see how it was negative or blatant racism. The little boy lived in the jungle (as some black people still do even today) and he outsmarted the tiger. It was no more racist than any other fairy tale type story.

Please point out the racism in that story to us unenlightened ones.

(When they put caricatures of white political figures in the newspaper, giving them oversized ears or lips or eyes, according to what their facial features are, do you consider that racist?)

Does this offend you?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
that was not what the story was about, plus I do not think anyone is mourning the loss, some of us just thought the book was cute and the restaurants were fun. Too many people today, read to much into every thing..that is why everything has to be PC. As for taking a 70 year old to realize the connotations, that is my point exactly. Those of us who are a little older didn't see anything in the story other than how cute the story was.

We could debate these things all day and no one is going to change anothers mind. We could debate whether Little Red Riding hood's grandma being eaten by a wolf would scare all little kids as well, but give kids credit for knowing the difference between make believe and reality.

Stumpeace, it might surprise to know most of us never even looked at things like that as anything other than delightful stories. The book was a success so someone decided to pattern a restaurant after the story. No, most of us are far from racists, in fact it might work the other way, ever think about that?

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 07-08-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

Does this offend you?
Yes, certainly the caricatures of the Jewish folks with large noses is offensive. Absolutely.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Stumpeace, it might surprise to know most of us never even looked at things like that as anything other than delightful stories. The book was a success so someone decided to pattern a restaurant after the story. No, most of us are far from racists, in fact it might work the other way, ever think about that?

Nita
Dealing with you gives me a headache. Your lack of ability to use logic and reasoning is both stunning and heartbreaking.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,156,268 times
Quote:
Yes, certainly the caricatures of the Jewish folks with large noses is offensive. Absolutely.
Personally, I didn't even know who that person is or that he was Jewish.....I just grabbed a bunch of caricatures off of google of people who weren't Afram.

You need to put your big-boy drawers on.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,360,937 times
Quote:
Dealing with you gives me a headache. Your lack of ability to use logic and reasoning is both stunning and heartbreaking.
Strumpeace, there are those of us that do not analyze too deeply. Maybe it's naiveity, stupidity, a lack of sophistication, or simply the result of a head injury during youth.

However, as I have stated previously, pretty much anything can be read into anything. I don't feel that Popeye's "Bluto" character, being fat and always begging for hamburger money, is disrepectful of white culture.

Also, for whatever reason, I do not see comedian Bill Dana's act of "Jose Jimenez" as a racist attack on hispanics.

I have watched many shows with black comedians saying things about blacks that would most certainly be classified as a crime if a white person said it.

I have met true racists of virtually every ethnic makeup in my life. Blacks who hate Koreans. Jews that hate blacks. Blacks that hate whites. Whites who hate everybody, probably including themselves. This book does not constitute racism.

When Helen Bannerman published the book in 1899, I don't see how it could be interpreted as anything but a childrens story about a boy triumphing over a group of tigers.

I can, however, see how over the years and the wave of "political correctness", and the "everybody hates me and 'the man' holds me down because I'm (insert your race here)" attitude, it can become another rallying point when somebody else is getting more attention because they're yelling about Harrison, AR.

There are those on this forum that tend to post *only* when they want to point out a negativity, or be critical of someone elses post, or feel that they have this mystical ability to read between the lines as when someone says, "I really like Hot Springs", they see "I don't want to live around Mexicans".

This is why our country is in the state it's in.

Creating fights to fight that weren't there in the first place, and are not even our fights.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,360,937 times
Quote:
I miss "Top's Big Boy" also.

Guess that's a racist loss too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or