U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,547,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Personally, I didn't even know who that person is or that he was Jewish.....I just grabbed a bunch of caricatures off of google of people who weren't Afram.

You need to put your big-boy drawers on.
You don't know who Albert Einstein is? That's sad. Not surprising. But sad nonetheless.

As for the rest of your statement -- Besides being a racist, you're also crude. Wow. Two for the price of one.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,611,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
So....why would our handful of Arkansas haters darken this doorway when they have this audience over there?
Because over there Arkansas is pretty much universally hated and nobody will stick up for it. The discussions are better when Arkansas lovers and haters are debating rather than the bashfests that happen several times per week over in General US (where the only thing most people know about this state is the media stereotype).

Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 PM

148 posts, read 303,824 times
Luvvy, there are brown-skinned people living in jungles, yes. Most of them are not African tho, since Africa is a continent dominated by deserts, not jungles. Large lips, noses and eyes that 'really pop' are stereotypical but not all that common if you actually look at black and brown people. My brother's nose was patrician. My mother's lips are thin. My skin is the color of cafe au lait and no, none of our eyes sit outside of their eye sockets. My family members come in range of colors, none of which are jet black.

Beyond the factual inaccuracies behind those images, my mother and father are probably the same age as Nita and my grandmother is in her 80s. None can recall loooving that book. So let's be honest, families like Nita's looooved reading that story because it didn't insult them personally. Other equally American families rightfully found no humor or charm in it at all because it was insulting to them, personally.

To me, everytime this happens in this forum it's like listening to drunken 40yo frat bros talk gleefully about how cool it was back in the day to dunk Johnny Q's head in the toilet and freeze his underwear after gym. Harmless fun right? Only we know more today, or we should know more, and we at least try to do better. Or do we, as seen in this thread? In 2009, Johnny may not be able to read but he can surely get a gun or blow the school up. However harmless it seems to you, these things have consequences.

In any case...my kids and I are are going to the library and park this afternoon and will quite enjoy it. Later this week we'll probably get good and dirty picking local fruits and veggies for lunch and dinner next week. Life will go on...or it will for some. The next middle-aged white guy who sees fit to remove my son's binky or otherwise touch his person without my permission may not be so lucky. I'm through smiling politely through gritted teeth.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:42 PM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Dealing with you gives me a headache. Your lack of ability to use logic and reasoning is both stunning and heartbreaking.
Is anyone forcing anyone else to read the responses..??? I am so sorry your heart is breaking.

Nita

Old 07-08-2009, 03:53 PM

64 posts, read 126,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but you know what, anything can be taken out of context. I don't remember all the details about the story, so unless your mom in her 70s she wouldn't either, but it was never meant, in anyway to be a put down to anyone. It was a truely delightful story and the restaurant was named Sambos with pictures of tigers on the wall etc. Any comment can be hurtful to someone if examined close enogh.

Nita
My mother is in her 70s and she told me about the story of "Little Black Sambo" when I was young. (She didn't tell me the story, she told me "about" the story.)

The only bits I remember was that the tiger ran 'round and 'round until he turned into butter, and more significantly, that "Little Black Sambo" was an Indian and not an African!

My mother told me that she thought it was funny that African-Americans got offended by "Little Black Sambo" who was actually an Indian (from India).

Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,156,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
You don't know who Albert Einstein is? That's sad. Not surprising. But sad nonetheless.

As for the rest of your statement -- Besides being a racist, you're also crude. Wow. Two for the price of one.
*sigh* Of course I know who Einstein is....I was talking about that other guy with the swarthy complexion and big nose. You see, I don't really pay much attention to stuff like that, people are just people. Certain races have distinctive facial characteristics sometimes, and it's not racist to recognize that.

I know you think I'm an idiot, but it would seem that in many ways, you are the idiot, because of all the assuming you do about people on here....if they don't think exactly the way you do, they're dumb, racist, bigoted, uneducated, uncultured....I mean, how narrow-minded can you get?

What's crude about someone saying "grow up, you're acting like a baby"? Or did you not understand that that is what that saying means?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,156,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
Luvvy, there are brown-skinned people living in jungles, yes. Most of them are not African tho, since Africa is a continent dominated by deserts, not jungles. Large lips, noses and eyes that 'really pop' are stereotypical but not all that common if you actually look at black and brown people. My brother's nose was patrician. My mother's lips are thin. My skin is the color of cafe au lait and no, none of our eyes sit outside of their eye sockets. My family members come in range of colors, none of which are jet black.

Beyond the factual inaccuracies behind those images, my mother and father are probably the same age as Nita and my grandmother is in her 80s. None can recall loooving that book. So let's be honest, families like Nita's looooved reading that story because it didn't insult them personally. Other equally American families rightfully found no humor or charm in it at all because it was insulting to them, personally.

To me, everytime this happens in this forum it's like listening to drunken 40yo frat bros talk gleefully about how cool it was back in the day to dunk Johnny Q's head in the toilet and freeze his underwear after gym. Harmless fun right? Only we know more today, or we should know more, and we at least try to do better. Or do we, as seen in this thread? In 2009, Johnny may not be able to read but he can surely get a gun or blow the school up. However harmless it seems to you, these things have consequences.

In any case...my kids and I are are going to the library and park this afternoon and will quite enjoy it. Later this week we'll probably get good and dirty picking local fruits and veggies for lunch and dinner next week. Life will go on...or it will for some. The next middle-aged white guy who sees fit to remove my son's binky or otherwise touch his person without my permission may not be so lucky. I'm through smiling politely through gritted teeth.
I never said that all black people living in jungles were African. And the large lips, etc., are very common in the black people around here. Nothing wrong with that, so I don't know why anyone would care.

How did the story insult you personally?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I never said that all black people living in jungles were African. And the large lips, etc., are very common in the black people around here. Nothing wrong with that, so I don't know why anyone would care.

How did the story insult you personally?
I never said the STORY was offensive. I said the imagery that accompanied it WAS offensive to my mother, father and grandfather who are of that era. I, personally, find it offensive because it harkens back to an era in which black people were commonly portrayed as subhuman, silly, stupid, frivolous, ape-like jungle creatures. And no, most of the black people I know and encounter here in Arkansas do not resemble those caricatures. It's unfortunate that you're unable to distinguish among us but I assure you there are variations.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother mammal View Post
My mother is in her 70s and she told me about the story of "Little Black Sambo" when I was young. (She didn't tell me the story, she told me "about" the story.)

The only bits I remember was that the tiger ran 'round and 'round until he turned into butter, and more significantly, that "Little Black Sambo" was an Indian and not an African!

My mother told me that she thought it was funny that African-Americans got offended by "Little Black Sambo" who was actually an Indian (from India).
Unfortunately, the same color-based caste systems that aflicted the U.S. during that time are also part of the French and British legacies in Asia and Africa.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother mammal View Post

you are about right, I do not remember the whole thing, it could have been that exactly, but the story really was about the tiger running around the tree and yes, turning into butter. It was simply a cute story, cut and dry, nothing more, nothing less.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or