U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2008, 07:40 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,371,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I'm referring to the ones who look down on Arkansas.
sorry, my bad.

I agree with you, people get sucked in to what the media says and think that Arkansas is just a bunch of hicks living on top of a hill.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 PM

7,947 posts, read 9,181,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
I agree about Little Rock, not that nice nowadays, and it definatly lacks the awesome scenery of the Northern parts of Ark. Check out Fayetteville(in the Northwest Arkansas area) sometime it is absolutely beautiful. I can refer you to some great places in town with awesome Ozark Mountain views if you ever are in the area, just let me know and i'll tell ya where!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I dont remember where but it was so green and kinda nice,I also drove through downtown in Little Rock and it was the most dead city I have ever seen, has anyone else noticed that about Little Rock?
Downtown Little Rock (River Market) is packed on weekend nights and has a decent amount of people through the week. Its also very crowded throughout the day. If you drove through a few years ago it may have been before it was revitalized. Downtown was dead in the 90s but the River Market revitalization, the new condo towers, and the Clinton library have really turned things around. Today it is the nicest it has ever been and is getting better. As for scenery, Little Rock west of downtown beats Rogers, AR hands down. I find this city [Little Rock] to be victim of a double dose of ignorant stereotypes; not only the Arkansas stereotype but also the stereotype of the 1994 HBO documentary Gang Wars: Bangin in Little Rock.

There is a rivalry between Northwest Arkansas (sprawlburbia) and the Little Rock area. Its like an OKC vs. Tulsa or Dallas vs. Houston type of rivalry. Bottom line is if you are looking for the cultural amenities of a very large city, you aren't going to find it in Arkansas period. That said, both metro areas are "citified" and you will find a fair amount shopping, dining, and entertainment without the racism, rampant homophobia, and confederate flag flying you will find in the more rural parts of the state.

Last edited by bchris02; 03-23-2008 at 11:08 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 2,654,297 times
Yea it seems its always between NWA(growing, beautiful, safe,etc) and Little Rock(waaay too much crime for its size, Tulsa is twice as big and way safer, not growing economically as fast,lack of scenery, etc). I agree that areas around Little Rock might be almost as pretty as Rogers, but not near as pretty as Fayetteville. The Ozark mountains in Fayetteville(Mt Sequoyah being my favorite) are among the most stunning scenery in the state. I do think for some that visit Little Rock and find it unpleasant, it does set a bad example for the rest of the state, making people think it is unsafe and ugly, and in some small rural communities people are prejudice, maybe even racist etc, but the whole state is not like that! Explore areas like Northwest Arkansas, and if you like smaller communities, some part of Soutwest Arkansas are very nice too. But if you are indeed looking for a real city, you won't find it in Arkansas lol. NWA and LR have some decent shopping, but both are basically big town areas, and don't offer what bigger cities do.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Yea it seems its always between NWA(growing, beautiful, safe,etc) and Little Rock(waaay too much crime for its size, Tulsa is twice as big and way safer, not growing economically as fast,lack of scenery, etc). I agree that areas around Little Rock might be almost as pretty as Rogers, but not near as pretty as Fayetteville. The Ozark mountains in Fayetteville(Mt Sequoyah being my favorite) are among the most stunning scenery in the state. I do think for some that visit Little Rock and find it unpleasant, it does set a bad example for the rest of the state, making people think it is unsafe and ugly, and in some small rural communities people are prejudice, maybe even racist etc, but the whole state is not like that! Explore areas like Northwest Arkansas, and if you like smaller communities, some part of Soutwest Arkansas are very nice too. But if you are indeed looking for a real city, you won't find it in Arkansas lol. NWA and LR have some decent shopping, but both are basically big town areas, and don't offer what bigger cities do.
Its not visiting Little Rock (at least today) that gives people a bad perception. Its visiting depressed places like Harrison/Mt. Home, Fort Smith, Pine Bluff, etc. Northwest Arkansas might was well be in Oklahoma. Its more economically connected with the Tulsa metro and very few of its residents ever set foot in Little Rock (or simply drive through on I-40 on the way to somewhere else) and simply bash the capital city based on stereotypes.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 AM

Or perhaps by facts and personal experience. You can fight the facts all ya want, but LR has kinda given itself a bad reputation. Not that that is something i'm happy about, it makes me sad considering its the capitol of my homestate, and hopefully it will get better, but for now thats just not the case. As someone said before, they went through and it was dead. Thats personal experience. I know people that live in Little Rock, I've been to Little Rock, I've seen the crime statistics, I've talked to plenty of people that have confirmed those statistics. But like i said, i hope that changes, i do not hate Little Rock or anything, its just the fact of the matter. Now if you like it, that is fine, noone is saying you can't, and you might be/feel safe etc etc. But the fact is there is a lot of crime, and many people do in fact feel it. And NWA is Southern/Ozark culture, and isn't really all that similar to Oklahoma. I've spent a LOT of time in Oklahoma City(where a lot of my family is from) and Tulsa and can say they are quite different. I do love OKC and Tulsa though!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Or perhaps by facts and personal experience. You can fight the facts all ya want, but LR has kinda given itself a bad reputation. Not that that is something i'm happy about, it makes me sad considering its the capitol of my homestate, and hopefully it will get better, but for now thats just not the case. As someone said before, they went through and it was dead. Thats personal experience. I know people that live in Little Rock, I've been to Little Rock, I've seen the crime statistics, I've talked to plenty of people that have confirmed those statistics. But like i said, i hope that changes, i do not hate Little Rock or anything, its just the fact of the matter. Now if you like it, that is fine, noone is saying you can't, and you might be/feel safe etc etc. But the fact is there is a lot of crime, and many people do in fact feel it. And NWA is Southern/Ozark culture, and isn't really all that similar to Oklahoma. I've spent a LOT of time in Oklahoma City(where a lot of my family is from) and Tulsa and can say they are quite different. I do love OKC and Tulsa though!
Those facts are skewed by a few south LR neighborhoods that have VERY high crime. LR as a whole isn't Baghdad. Even if you are terrified of living in LR, you can live in the suburbs like Benton, Bryant, Conway, Maumelle, and even far west LR and get all the benefits you would get by living in NW Arkansas.

I wouldn't consider NWA true Ozark culture at all, and that is a good thing. Its in interesting mix of culture due to all the transplants. I like to compare it to the far north Dallas suburbs but on a smaller scale.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 PM

3,328 posts, read 4,879,413 times
I had no "stereotypes" going into Little Rock, but after living there a few years, I could certainly see where the stereotypes came from. I don't hate Little Rock, and I honestly wish it could clean itself up.... meaning the entire town, not just the little touristy areas.
I guess I should have sheltered myself better. I'm not the kind of person to live in a place and not explore every nook and cranny of it. Sometimes, that caused me to see things I'd rather not see.
After working in one of the worst neighborhoods for a couple of years, I'd say that HBO's documentary was very accurate, and certainly not sensationalized. Just go up Asher where it runs into Wright, then on to 17th. Maybe veer to the right instead and go along Roosevelt, by the fairgrounds... you'll see the areas that I'm talking about.
I was as familiar with Asher and Baseline as I was with Cantrell or Chenal. Little Rock has many areas that give it a reputation as a thuggish town, with almost as many bad areas as good ones. Don't forget about it's neighbor, North Little Rock, which has it's own issues. LR's reputation is well-deserved.

As for hatred of Arkansas..... It's all been said...
Clinton, who many people think is the worst President ever...
Wal-Mart, the most wrong-headed corporation ever...
Hillbillies... whatever. There are all sorts of people in Arkansas, I guess.
Every state has it's bad apples, but that doesn't make them bad places.

One of my own complaints is that it's southern, without much of the southern hospitality. I was born and raised there, and I didn't try telling people how they should do things, or how backwards they were (though I may have thought it at times..). I just wasn't southern enough to fit in, I guess.

Quote:
Well, it was actually my intention that my Wal-Mart and Huckabee comments be taken facetiously and tongue-in-cheek by Arkansas residents, as I HATE both of those entities with a passion
Mike Huckabee's an ENTITY?....okay.........

Last edited by northbound74; 03-24-2008 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I was as familiar with Asher and Baseline as I was with Cantrell or Chenal. Little Rock has many areas that give it a reputation as a thuggish town, with almost as many bad areas as good ones. Don't forget about it's neighbor, North Little Rock, which has it's own issues. LR's reputation is well-deserved.
Thing is about Little Rock is people only focus on the bad and they ignore the other 3/4 of the city that is nice. I will never go to southeast Little Rock. I don't have a reason to be there. I can understand that Little Rock for somebody who lives or works in that part of town would be very different than Little Rock for somebody who lives and works along Cantrell or Chenal.

Little Rock's crime problem is not unique; most cities with a large percentage of non-whites have crime issues. Its an unfortunate fact but its true. I think it has a lot to do with whites and affluent minorities fleeing to the suburbs. Little Rock has a huge sprawl problem and many of the suburbs are very much white flight communities. Less than a third of the metro area population resides in Little Rock proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
As for hatred of Arkansas..... It's all been said...
Clinton, who many people think is the worst President ever...
Wal-Mart, the most wrong-headed corporation ever...
Hillbillies... whatever. There are all sorts of people in Arkansas, I guess.
Every state has it's bad apples, but that doesn't make them bad places.
Clinton...many people think he was wonderful. The only people who think he was the worst President ever are evangelicals. Without getting too political, everybody can agree that the '90s were better times than what we have now.

As for Wal-Mart, as stated above many people even in Arkansas hate them, but unfortunately unless you are in NW Arkansas or Little Rock, you don't have much of a choice for shopping.

Hillbillies...tourist areas in north Arkansas market the stereotype to get people to visit. You will find hillbilly type people in isolated rural communities nationwide, not just in Arkansas.

All of that said, Arkansas is a beautiful state and with all its negatives it has its positives. If I had the opportunity I would like to experience living in a major metro area for a while, but would definately want to come back to Arkansas to retire.

Last edited by bchris02; 03-24-2008 at 08:52 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 08:47 PM

You should experience living in a major Metro Bchris, from one Arkansan to another it is a great experience. I love coming home to visit family and friends, but i don't think i will live in a smaller area again for a long time, if ever. I'm opposite of a lot of people, instead of going to a big city to vacation and have some fun, i vacation in a smaller town to escape the pace of city life But again i think people focus on the bad because, for a city its size, Little Rock has too much crime. When you could live in a city twice the size such as Tulsa, with waaay less crime, why pick the more dangerous, smaller one?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 PM

30 posts, read 89,277 times
I went to school in Arkansas (Fayetteville) and I did not like it.

It seemed a little backwards to me. People seemed to look for conflict a little too much. Overly opinionated, or something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas