U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,605,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
You should experience living in a major Metro Bchris, from one Arkansan to another it is a great experience. I love coming home to visit family and friends, but i don't think i will live in a smaller area again for a long time, if ever. I'm opposite of a lot of people, instead of going to a big city to vacation and have some fun, i vacation in a smaller town to escape the pace of city life But again i think people focus on the bad because, for a city its size, Little Rock has too much crime. When you could live in a city twice the size such as Tulsa, with waaay less crime, why pick the more dangerous, smaller one?
I sort of feel that way about going home to rural Arkansas from Little Rock.

As for why I chose Little Rock - I needed a job. I was fresh out of a small college in rural Arkansas. Little Rock wasn't my first choice, but my other real choices were Harrison, AR and NWA, neither of which were my cup of tea. I know you like NWA, but its just not for me. My job offer in LR was by far the best so I decided to take it. I could have taken an offer in OKC or Tulsa for $15,000 less, but those cities don't offer enough over Little Rock to make it worth the paycut. I used to live in OKC, and Tulsa is marginally safer than LR. I wouldn't say its far safer as it has its shady areas as well. For it to be worth it to turn down my offer in Little Rock, it would have to be a decent offer in a major metro like Dallas or Houston, which wasn't on the table for me.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:26 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,522,638 times
yea thats a similar situation on a much smaller scale, so i can relate. Hope you get a chance to spend time in a major metro sometime, its a good experience .
Yea that wouldn't have been worth the paycut. Personally i could never see picking Little rock over OKC or Tulsa if the pay was the same, but with that kind of difference it would have probably been a bad choice.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:33 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I am from Arkansas, I have lived here all my life and I love my home state. I read a lot of post where people are against Arkansas and its people.
I just don't understand why. Anywhere you go you are going to find good and bad qualities and anywhere you go you are bound to find good and bad people.
Anyway with that being said I want to know why people feel this way, and what are they basing their opinions on (have they ever been here or are they just going on the never ended stereotype)?
Two things I can think of I like from Arkansas. American Taekwondo Association is headquartered in Little Rock. Wal-Mart is headquartered in Bentonville.

I've never been to either place, but I wouldn't mind!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:01 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,524,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Clinton...many people think he was wonderful. The only people who think he was the worst President ever are evangelicals. Without getting too political, everybody can agree that the '90s were better times than what we have now.
There are many evangelicals who like Clinton, and many non-evangelicals who do not. Sure, times are good when troubles are ignored. I forgot to pay my gas bill one month. I thought the extra money I "ended up with" was pretty cool. The bill ended up costing me more in the long run...

I personally have done much better in recent years than I ever did in the 90's. One has to realize, however, that I absolutely do not believe that whoever is in the White House has ANYTHING at all, whatsoever, to do with my personal well being. I have more control over my own life than they EVER will!!
You'll have to excuse me, I just get frustrated when I think about people giving all the credit or blame, for everything under the sun, to whoever is president at the moment. I wasn't accusing you of doing that.

Quote:
As for Wal-Mart, as stated above many people even in Arkansas hate them, but unfortunately unless you are in NW Arkansas or Little Rock, you don't have much of a choice for shopping.
I wasn't referring to the people who shop there. Just the corporation itself. It's ruthless.
By the way, Jonesboro has a Target now, and they used to have a K-Mart, but I'm not sure if they still do. They are also rebuilding the first mall to compete with the second mall that opened a few years ago.

Quote:
Hillbillies...tourist areas in north Arkansas market the stereotype to get people to visit. You will find hillbilly type people in isolated rural communities nationwide, not just in Arkansas.
I know. That was the point I was trying to make. I've seen them in every place I've been to. I am related to many of them. They are interesting people. I just can't connect very well with them all of the time.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:18 AM

36 posts, read 116,987 times
I completely agree with bchris about the NWA thing. So many of my friends moved up there after college and wanted me to follow. I just couldn't! I had visited them up there several times, but I just never did like the Fayetteville area. I definetly prefer LR, with it's "high crime rate" and all! By the way I rarely venture into south LR so the latter.....really not a big deal.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 21,538 times
Default what i think...

I moved here from new york and have lived here for the past five and a half years, unfortunately. So I think I at least have some basis when I make my complaints. For starters, the road crews take FOREVER, even on the smallest of projects. Its taken them almost 4 years to complete a 1 mile stretch of road.
And the way people drive I'm surprised they get anywhere in a decent amount of time. It seems like they're always trying to race you on the highway. Sure, it seems nice at first that people are more "laid back" than us Northeasterners, but once you've been here a while it just becomes a nuisance. There were actually times when I've been 15-20 minutes late because people, for no reason at all, other than to most likely just irritate, choose to drive 10-15 miles an hour below the speed limit, and if you try to go around them, they just speed up!

and sherrenee- I think i can classify people as "racist redneck hillbillies," because i set foot in this state 5 years, goin on 6 now, and have regreted every minute of it.

To quote chicago60614-"There were guns everywhere, Confederate flags everywhere, and people were hard core baptist and kinda judgmental about "northerners" and pretty racist. I was surprised."

And I have to agree. People here refer to northerners as "yankees" but a yankee that stays is called a "damn yankee" How's that for "southern hospitality?" what a facade...

Now, there are some redeeming qualties about AR that can attest to, one of them being the enormous amount of outdoor activities there are-seemingly endless-camping, hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking... and the list goes on...
Also, the cost of living is a LOT cheaper than where I'm from. But of course, therein lies another problem-AR entices you down with their cheap cost of living and all the "wonderful discounts" at your local wal-mart, then makes you **** poor broke so even if you wanted to move out if this hell hole, you'd have no funds to do so.
Also, their stand on gays. I myself am anti-gay. I think it attacks everything the family institution stands for. And I know it may sound racist, but remember the bible doesn't condemn people for being black-1 Corinthians 6:9-it condemns gays.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 AM

465 posts, read 1,250,400 times
Hey we finally got a Target in Fort Smith so you don't absolutely have to shop at Wal-Mart. But I have to admit there is just to much rascism, gay bashing, and good ole boy under the table dealing here.
Maybe with the factories shutting down and the college expanding Fort Smith will take a turn for the better someday. Nothing against factory workers, I am one, but I'm trying for something better.
I think what is happening in NWA may ultimately be good for Fort Smith as well. Of course I could be wrong.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Interesting reading everyone opinions....
We spent 2 weeks in Arkansas last summer, Stayed in NWA (Bella Vista) with my Wife's Uncle.. We drove all over northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri. I thought Harrison was a very friendly town, we stopped outside of town to get gas, and the guy getting gas across from me strikes up a conversation that lasts well after both our tanks were full. He knew we were from out of town, as he had asked where we were from.Very nice guy.
In the Town of Harrison we stopped at a feed store and a Tractor Supply store, and had simular experiances, folks being real friendly and striking up conversations with us. We were impressed enough to concider retiring to the area. We didn't experiance anyone being standoffish to us, and my wife is the streotypical California Blond Girl, in fact the day we spent in HArrison she was dressed in this bright pink outfit, definatley not something usually seen around Harrison. The ladies in town were very nice to her. and the guys looked as would be expected....
We were treated just as well in Mountain Home and Flippin although we did spend more time in HArrison...
Now I could see where if we had brought our West Coast hurry up attitude to the area it could have rubbed people the wrong way, but I think if you just look people in the eye, smile, and say hello you'll get a taste of the region...

Old 12-14-2008, 02:06 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,524,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeuss1621 View Post
For starters, the road crews take FOREVER, even on the smallest of projects. Its taken them almost 4 years to complete a 1 mile stretch of road.

Oh my, I know exactly what you mean. Funny thing is, the weather is always warm enough for road construction year-round... considering they were constructing roads in 15 degree temps last week in Minneapolis.
I've seen road crews do things in Missouri in one summer that similar projects in Arkansas took 5-6 years. Unbelievable.
I'll never forget the 20-mile stretch of road that took 15 years to complete... in the flat, wide-open, easily worked farmland, so it's not like they were blasting out tunnels in the mountains or anything.
I don't hate Arkansas because of it, but I never understood what took so long.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,359,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
but I think if you just look people in the eye, smile, and say hello you'll get a taste of the region...
I'm glad you feel that way Cali........

I just got assigned to be the one driving 15 mph under the limit in front of you to make you late on yout next visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or