U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,471,811 times
Reputation: 4036

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
So how do you think the people of Arkansas who arent Catholic feel when Catholics use the term "the one true Church?" Just curious.
Quite frankly, I don't believe that most non-Catholic Arkansans understand Catholicism. All they know is the misinformation spread from some pulpits. To be fair, I'm sure that works the other way. To directly address your point, however, the Roman church believes that it is the way to "full communion" with God. It does not teach that it is the ONLY way to eternal salvation. Subtle, but material, distinction.

I stand by the point I was making -- that Arkansans should work to adjust to and accept outsiders as much as many of you feel outsiders coming into Arkansas should do the same.

Cheers.

 
Old 12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,353 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Reputation: 38687
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Quite frankly, I don't believe that most non-Catholic Arkansans understand Catholicism. All they know is the misinformation spread from some pulpits. To be fair, I'm sure that works the other way. To directly address your point, however, the Roman church believes that it is the way to "full communion" with God. It does not teach that it is the ONLY way to eternal salvation. Subtle, but material, distinction.

I stand by the point I was making -- that Arkansans should work to adjust to and accept outsiders as much as many of you feel outsiders coming into Arkansas should do the same.

Cheers.
Like a few others, I have to disagree, do Arkansans need to learn more about various life styles? Maybe, but no, they do not have to adjust to outsiders as you call them. Anyone moving to anyplace has to adjust to the life style of those around them, not visa versa..

Nita
 
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 PM
 
77 posts, read 205,664 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Like a few others, I have to disagree, do Arkansans need to learn more about various life styles? Maybe, but no, they do not have to adjust to outsiders as you call them. Anyone moving to anyplace has to adjust to the life style of those around them, not visa versa..

Nita
Adjusting is progress, advancement and the story behind all human progress. Keep in mind that an entire community should not bend-over-backwards and radically change their views to an outside but they should mutually influence each other AND CHANGE each based based on mutual interaction and exchange.

A clear example of this, with reference to religion is Christmas, a completely re branded pagan holiday with almost no historical or even religious connection to Christ.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 15,972,769 times
Reputation: 10024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
Adjusting is progress, advancement and the story behind all human progress. Keep in mind that an entire community should not bend-over-backwards and radically change their views to an outside but they should mutually influence each other AND CHANGE each based based on mutual interaction and exchange.

A clear example of this, with reference to religion is Christmas, a completely re branded pagan holiday with almost no historical or even religious connection to Christ.
But maybe communities, especially smaller ones, are happy with the way things are. Things that made thier community what it is. If an outsider doesnt like it they should look elsewhere.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 AM
 
77 posts, read 205,664 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
But maybe communities, especially smaller ones, are happy with the way things are. Things that made thier community what it is. If an outsider doesnt like it they should look elsewhere.
With respect,

It is then the same thing as the un-contacted or minimal contract tribes and not wanting to effect their culture.

On second thought it is probably worse for these Arkansas communities we are talking about, because while they may want to be completely closed off to change and advancing themselves I am sure they have no problem taking food stamps, social security, medicaid and other forms of societal aid. So if those arkansas communities which are so hostile to any outside influence would refuse the outside benefits then I would have no problem with their position as they would not longer be a detriment to society as a whole, think Amish or those guys shooting arrows at a plane.

Last edited by leorah; 12-18-2008 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Removed hotlinked photo
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 AM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,370 posts, read 6,857,865 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
With respect,

It is then the same thing as the un-contacted or minimal contract tribes and not wanting to effect their culture.

On second thought it is probably worse for these Arkansas communities we are talking about, because while they may want to be completely closed off to change and advancing themselves I am sure they have no problem taking food stamps, social security, medicaid and other forms of societal aid. So if those arkansas communities which are so hostile to any outside influence would refuse the outside benefits then I would have no problem with their position as they would not longer be a detriment to society as a whole, think Amish or those guys shooting arrows at a plane.
I agree wholeheartedly with your position of give and take. However, the flaw in your argument above is the implied assumption of considering things as unified whole. The community as a whole does not receive societal aid. Individuals do and the percentage of individuals in some communities who receive societal aid is not constant. The acceptance tolerance to outside influence is also non-constant. There is not necessarily a direct correlation between receiving societal aid and being non-tolerant to outside influence.

In my opinion, what all this boils down to individual capability to adapt and change coupled with tactful interpersonal relationship building. There is no reason why people of rural Arkansas communities (or a rural community in ANY state actually) would not adopt attitudes which some might refer to as progressive or liberal but it won't be done by force or by sheer will and it certainly won't be done overnight. Before you can convince anyone of anything, you'd better get to know them and their family first. A lot of people who move to rural communities keep to themselves until they see something they want to change and then all of sudden, their new neighbors wind up getting to know them by having a petition stuck in front of them at the front door! Where I grew up, that would be pretty damn rude! That aspect of rural culture is modestly constant and isn't about to change for anyone. It IS culture after all and asking someone to change that would be like trying to convince you that Chicago style pizza is the best on the planet. I see both sides of the coin. There are things that can and should be improved in most rural communities but you just can't do it without greasing the skids first.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 AM
 
3,203 posts, read 3,244,667 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
Adjusting is progress, advancement and the story behind all human progress. Keep in mind that an entire community should not bend-over-backwards and radically change their views to an outside but they should mutually influence each other AND CHANGE each based based on mutual interaction and exchange.

A clear example of this, with reference to religion is Christmas, a completely re branded pagan holiday with almost no historical or even religious connection to Christ.
Is this post about why people HATE Arkansas (which makes me ponder "Do people hate Delaware?"), or Sociology class discussion at San Bernadino Community College (as seen above).

Buon Saturnalia!!!
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 15,972,769 times
Reputation: 10024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with your position of give and take. However, the flaw in your argument above is the implied assumption of considering things as unified whole. The community as a whole does not receive societal aid. Individuals do and the percentage of individuals in some communities who receive societal aid is not constant. The acceptance tolerance to outside influence is also non-constant. There is not necessarily a direct correlation between receiving societal aid and being non-tolerant to outside influence.

In my opinion, what all this boils down to individual capability to adapt and change coupled with tactful interpersonal relationship building. There is no reason why people of rural Arkansas communities (or a rural community in ANY state actually) would not adopt attitudes which some might refer to as progressive or liberal but it won't be done by force or by sheer will and it certainly won't be done overnight. Before you can convince anyone of anything, you'd better get to know them and their family first. A lot of people who move to rural communities keep to themselves until they see something they want to change and then all of sudden, their new neighbors wind up getting to know them by having a petition stuck in front of them at the front door! Where I grew up, that would be pretty damn rude! That aspect of rural culture is modestly constant and isn't about to change for anyone. It IS culture after all and asking someone to change that would be like trying to convince you that Chicago style pizza is the best on the planet. I see both sides of the coin. There are things that can and should be improved in most rural communities but you just can't do it without greasing the skids first.
Couldnt have said it better myself. i am not saying that communities wont change. Change is unavoidable to a certain extent but change will not come on a schedule or just because some newcomer says it should. Rural people live a slow paced life. Why should change be any faster?
 
Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 AM
 
39,075 posts, read 23,165,932 times
Reputation: 12157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Couldnt have said it better myself. i am not saying that communities wont change. Change is unavoidable to a certain extent but change will not come on a schedule or just because some newcomer says it should. Rural people live a slow paced life. Why should change be any faster?
The other thing is that there are reasons things are the way they are. People who are new in a community are comparing it with the places they've lived before, but they are unaware of the context in their new residence.
Every community has a unique history and a dynamic that is different from anywhere else. For instance, it might make sense if the road cut through this property and went straight instead of curving around the property, but locals may know things about that property that newcomers don't. Information that is commonly known to locals isn't always explicity stated at council meetings, for instance, because it's local knowledge. It might be frustrating that a town doesn't have AT & T, but 80 years ago that town might have been struggling to get any phone service at all, and signed contracts that have effectively excluded competition. The wiggle in the road in the old downtown may be because of an old feud. You might not be able to put a park in that location because there used to be mining in the area and there are dangerous tunnels there that would invite tragedy if children were playing in the area. I've lived places where you paid a water bill once a year, not monthly. I've lived in cities where the electric, water, and gas costs were built into rent. People make choices about the way they live, but people also live the way they do because of choices made long ago.
 
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 15,972,769 times
Reputation: 10024
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The other thing is that there are reasons things are the way they are. People who are new in a community are comparing it with the places they've lived before, but they are unaware of the context in their new residence.
Every community has a unique history and a dynamic that is different from anywhere else. For instance, it might make sense if the road cut through this property and went straight instead of curving around the property, but locals may know things about that property that newcomers don't. Information that is commonly known to locals isn't always explicity stated at council meetings, for instance, because it's local knowledge. It might be frustrating that a town doesn't have AT & T, but 80 years ago that town might have been struggling to get any phone service at all, and signed contracts that have effectively excluded competition. The wiggle in the road in the old downtown may be because of an old feud. You might not be able to put a park in that location because there used to be mining in the area and there are dangerous tunnels there that would invite tragedy if children were playing in the area. I've lived places where you paid a water bill once a year, not monthly. I've lived in cities where the electric, water, and gas costs were built into rent. People make choices about the way they live, but people also live the way they do because of choices made long ago.
This is all very true. You never know the reasons behind some decisions. I stopped in a small North Carolina mountain town a few months ago. Turned out this was a "dry" town. Couldnt get a cold beer to take to my hotel room. After talking to the desk clerk I found out that the reason the town was dry wasnt because of some religious aversion to alcohol but an aversion to LITTER! they got tired of picking up the cans and bottles! Ya just never know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top