Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 12:21 PM

47 posts, read 145,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and of course you mean this in jest, right?

It is cute, have seen something similar before..

It is fun to keep these things light, I think the problem comes when people start steriotyping all of us. some of us are educated, not all republicans are dumb or uneducated,we are not bigots or gay haters, we don't all live on junk food or in the country. and the ones that do are really nice people, even rednecks can be nice...

Nita
Yes it is all in fun, but you have to admit that they do look like a couple of hicks. Most people in Arkansas do not look like this. HOwever, I believe these guys live in Fort Smith.

I would not use the definition above for redneck. Some of my best friends are self described rednecks and they are a lot of fun and some of the best people around.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:29 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Why I hate Arkansas:
Lack of quality public transportation in central Arkansas, mainly LR and NLR
The passage of Initiated Act 1
Churches on just about every corner...ugh
The fact that we're heavily taxed despite being in the bottom for per capita income....
Grocery tax

I'll stick it out a few years in Arkansas but hopefully I can escape.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM

570 posts, read 1,583,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Why I hate Arkansas:
The fact that we're heavily taxed despite being in the bottom for per capita income....
Grocery tax

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out of Arkansas.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:18 PM

570 posts, read 1,583,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy View Post
If you are one of these guys or look like one of these guys you may be a hick.
I would rather be a hick than a city boy any day.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Yes it is all in fun, but you have to admit that they do look like a couple of hicks. Most people in Arkansas do not look like this. HOwever, I believe these guys live in Fort Smith.

I would not use the definition above for redneck. Some of my best friends are self described rednecks and they are a lot of fun and some of the best people around.
My grandson in law does look sorta like them, well not quite, doesn't live in Ft Smith was raised (well i won't say where it is pretty small town ) and loves being a redneck....

andLivetoday, i think you have told us this before; yes, you do belong somewhere else;;;no one should live someplace they can't be proud to call home, not saying AR is perfect, but I have lived many places, big and small, metro cities like LA and DC and little towns of 10,000 and less; give me the people of AR anytime to the city slickers.

Nita

Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Why I hate Arkansas:
Grocery tax

I'm glad you plan on sticking it out, LTL. We may not always agree, but you have passion and a vision. Even if Arkansas is not the place you finally end up calling home, you should make a difference wherever you end up.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm glad you plan on sticking it out, LTL. We may not always agree, but you have passion and a vision. Even if Arkansas is not the place you finally end up calling home, you should make a difference wherever you end up.
Why thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My grandson in law does look sorta like them, well not quite, doesn't live in Ft Smith was raised (well i won't say where it is pretty small town ) and loves being a redneck....

andLivetoday, i think you have told us this before; yes, you do belong somewhere else;;;no one should live someplace they can't be proud to call home, not saying AR is perfect, but I have lived many places, big and small, metro cities like LA and DC and little towns of 10,000 and less; give me the people of AR anytime to the city slickers.

Nita
I'm not saying I am not proud to call AR home. Maybe I will find D.C. is not the place for me but I want to experience so many places. Maybe I'll find my way back to AR. Who knows? Que sera, sera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out of Arkansas.
Ha ha, I hope it doesn't. It would be quite a big door.
I know Arkansas has it's faults but I have grown not to hate it as much as I used to. I want the best for it and don't wish it any ill will.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM

47 posts, read 145,964 times
What is a city slicker? The last time I heard that phrase was the beverly hillbillies. Can you be a city slicker and still live in Arkansas? Do you have to be a slicker in city bigger than little rock? Would you just be a big town slicker or a little city slicker if you lived in little rock?

I just don't hear that phrase very much. I could not find it in webster's so I pulled it up in the urban dictionary...The number one definition was a little too offensive to the people who may use that word so I did not post it, but you can look it up there.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
What is a city slicker? The last time I heard that phrase was the beverly hillbillies. Can you be a city slicker and still live in Arkansas? Do you have to be a slicker in city bigger than little rock? Would you just be a big town slicker or a little city slicker if you lived in little rock?

I just don't hear that phrase very much. I could not find it in webster's so I pulled it up in the urban dictionary...The number one definition was a little too offensive to the people who may use that word so I did not post it, but you can look it up there.
thanks for not posting it...: I don't know what made me use it, I probably haven't heard the term in 20 or more years. Little Rock metro people, I guess could be "city slickers" (not the definition you probably read) I think of them as people who are or think they are very sophisticated (spelling) who have never been out of the city..Probably they would be little slickers...

Nita

Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Why thank you.

I'm not saying I am not proud to call AR home. Maybe I will find D.C. is not the place for me but I want to experience so many places. Maybe I'll find my way back to AR. Who knows? Que sera, sera.

Ha ha, I hope it doesn't. It would be quite a big door.
I know Arkansas has it's faults but I have grown not to hate it as much as I used to. I want the best for it and don't wish it any ill will.
We lived in No Va for 7 years and hubby worked in DC. It is a very exciting place, we loved it for the first 5 years or so, of course we came from Los Angeles so were accustom to the "city life" It is, as you can imagine very political and I hate to say, very phony!!!!

enjoy your time in DC, make the most of it, try some of the wonderful restaurants, look out for the crime, it is something very few can see anywhere else as well as the homeless everywhere.. Take advantage of all the sights and sounds.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas