U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 07:36 AM

44 posts, read 193,979 times

Advertisements

We found a great place - maybe??? The positives are that it pretty much has everything that we are looking for. Lots of trails and places to ride, land for horses and cattle, nice home, etc. The concern I have is that it's at the top of a mountain - 20 miles or so out. We are used to living out and away from everything - but not the mountain part. Has anyone here on the forum had this experience? Can you share the pros/cons with us? Hubby doesn't have to work but I still need to, so I'd be driving off the mountain 5 days a week. Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 PM

27 posts, read 121,963 times
Default mountain living

I have lived on a mountain here in Arkansas before..just make sure that you have a good road. Find out what priority your road has for getting cleared in bad weather. If you are on a school route you are probably okay. Also what would your job say if you missed a day or two due to bad weather? We don't really have that many bad days on an average year. The Nortwest corner gets the most and you did not say where you lived. Good luck...the good would probably outweigh the bad...PineHollow gal

Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 AM

456 posts, read 1,425,585 times
i've lived high up on an Arkansas mountain for 8 years and can tell you that mountaintop living is Arkansas living at it's best. The temperatures are several degrees cooler both in the summer and winter, and Summer nights are absolutely amazing depending on how high up you are. Mountain breezes are incredible as some mountaintops receive different air currents. There may be a couple of days every winter where the roads are slick but nothing that causes too much inconviniece. You'll love it! May I ask what town you'll be living near?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,357,591 times
I'd have to ask also what area you're going to.

I live in the hills, and have to agree with the cooler temps, and add that the views are great. Lot's more wind than down below. That's a big plus in the summer.

Remember that in most rural areas, you'll encounter some sort of hassle. For us, living up here, it's that when we get a sizeable snow or ice, we might not get off this hill for a day or two. That's as bad as it gets.

During the recent torrential rains we had, "creeks" tend to form at will, and never where you want them. They usually subside in short time allowing normal travel.

I have 5 or 6 "Texas" owned farms around me, you know, people who got tired of teh flat land, and they all have horses. A lot of support around here for whatever you need for equine heaven.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 PM

44 posts, read 193,979 times
Thanks for your replies All - greatly appreciated. The place we were looking at is up by Bidville. Unfortunately, we have to find some work before we can move forward with plans. My big concern would be pulling the trailers and equipment we have up the mountain, along with the daily commute to "town" for work.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 14,631 times
Default Mountain living

I think living up on the mountain should be great. The driving to work is one thing just like any other commute. Might want to see if you can work from home or consult so you don't have to spend the time driving everyday.

Biggest issue may be lack of stuff around. Monutains don't have a lot of stores right there. The drive to get milk half way thru cooking just won't happen. Need to plan a bit more in advance.

When we first moved to the mountains that was the hardest part, but in the end learned to love it. Hope you can find the right place.

Devin

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 07-17-2009 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: no advertising links...

Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,357,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinmurray View Post
Biggest issue may be lack of stuff around. Monutains don't have a lot of stores right there. The drive to get milk half way thru cooking just won't happen. Need to plan a bit more in advance.
[/url]
That's it exactly.

It is 15 miles to the closest store for me. Most of that on dirt roads. That's OK though.

The hardest part to me is going up & down the north slopes in the winter.

One learns the difference quickly bewteen "all wheel drive" and true "4 wheel drive".

Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 14,611 times
I was glad to read the input on this thread. My husband and I bought a few acres on a mountain between Omaha and Lead Hill with the hopes of building a home there one day. A paved road runs along the front of the property (Stonington Rd), but its on such a steep incline and we've wondered about getting in and out in the icy winters as well. Let alone wondering how feasible putting a home at the top of the property would be. The view is so beautiful, that every time we're up that way and stop to walk around, we think to ourselves that we'll FIND a way! It'll be several years before we are ready to build, but until then, we'll dream. North AR is beautiful!

Anyone reading this live in the Omaha area?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,087,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrussell View Post
We found a great place - maybe??? The positives are that it pretty much has everything that we are looking for. Lots of trails and places to ride, land for horses and cattle, nice home, etc. The concern I have is that it's at the top of a mountain - 20 miles or so out. We are used to living out and away from everything - but not the mountain part. Has anyone here on the forum had this experience? Can you share the pros/cons with us? Hubby doesn't have to work but I still need to, so I'd be driving off the mountain 5 days a week. Any thoughts?
All the replies have been on the money, but I don't think anyone ever mentioned winter ice/snow except slick roads. Power outages and trees across your road can, and often is, a major problem during the winter. Get you a chain saw and keep plenty of stabilized gas and that will take care of the downed trees, but if you are at the end of the power line you could actually be out of power for many, many days. Of course a proper voltage/amp generator can solve that problem but requires more stabilized gas. But, as one respondent noted, will your employer be receptive to you having to take days off? I don't want to be a "wet blanket", but you asked for input.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,896,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
All the replies have been on the money, but I don't think anyone ever mentioned winter ice/snow except slick roads. Power outages and trees across your road can, and often is, a major problem during the winter. Get you a chain saw and keep plenty of stabilized gas and that will take care of the downed trees, but if you are at the end of the power line you could actually be out of power for many, many days. Of course a proper voltage/amp generator can solve that problem but requires more stabilized gas. But, as one respondent noted, will your employer be receptive to you having to take days off? I don't want to be a "wet blanket", but you asked for input.
------"will your employer be receptive"

Everyone assumes she will have no trouble getting a job.

Anytime you state you need employment,it could be risky whether you live on top of a mountain or in the river valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or