U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,532,985 times

Advertisements

Hubby & I are planning our 3rd anniversary trip to Eureka Springs -it's actually our 18th anniversary! Normally we go around our anniversary in late May, but wondering when would be the best time to see all the spring flowers? Really would love to go when all the trees are blooming, tulips, etc. I'd also love any tips as far as the best natural areas for hikes, bird watching, history, scenery, etc. Thanks for any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 PM

38,811 posts, read 22,914,211 times
Tulips and daffodils are already sprouting, so spring is around the corner. Your best bet would probably be the last week in March or first week in April. But April would be a good bet anytime, with dogwoods and redbuds blooming. If you're staying in Eureka Springs an easy, short hike would be around Black Bass Lake. This used to be Eureka's water source, but it was abandoned years ago. There is a short and easy trail going around the lake. Lake Leatherwood is also an easy hike, though a bit longer. There are several trails out at Hobbs (which has some historic sites marked as well), there is a more challenging hike in Berryville. Roaring River is close by, and has several hiking trails.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:24 AM

363 posts, read 884,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Hubby & I are planning our 3rd anniversary trip to Eureka Springs -it's actually our 18th anniversary! Normally we go around our anniversary in late May, but wondering when would be the best time to see all the spring flowers? Really would love to go when all the trees are blooming, tulips, etc. I'd also love any tips as far as the best natural areas for hikes, bird watching, history, scenery, etc. Thanks for any ideas!
We are going to Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge the first week of May. Not necessarily for the flowers or scenery but I just found about about this place and have to see it. We are staying in one of their cabins for three days and are so excited about going. Can't wait to see the big cats and from all I read about this place, they do great work rescuing the animals. I cannot believe it has been there since 1992 and never heard about it.

https://www.turpentinecreek.org/

Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 AM

3,182 posts, read 2,766,693 times
March is one of those months when you really can't predict the weather. It could be a cold March or beautiful. The changing of the seasons always seems to bring tornadoes in Arkansas. It will be beautiful and in the 70's one day and the next day will be scary. April is probably the better month to go.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:41 PM

167 posts, read 115,727 times
ES is a great place to visit. DW and I love it. Easy to blow a day in town. Some of the eat joints are great.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:06 AM

363 posts, read 884,590 times
We got back yesterday from Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge and I am still in awe of what we saw there. They are doing marvelous things with these animals that have been rescued. This is not like a zoo, the animal habitats are large and grassy to give them room to roam and play.

There are lions, tigers, white tigers, cougars, panthers, bobcats, bears and some "man made" species that should not exist caused by artificial cross breeding between lions and tigers. Turpentine is not a breeding facility, all males are neutered, it is there strictly to give the animals a good life after they have been rescued from some not so good conditions. When the lions start "caroling" you can hear it all over the facility.
I have never heard a sound like that.

We stayed 3 nights in their lodging and it was great. The staff is extremely accommodating and the interns working there are very knowledgeable and friendly. If you stay there all the tours are included. The cabin we stayed in was adjacent to one of the tiger habitats, we could watch them from our window which was so close you could almost touch them. We paid for a private tour which took us to areas that are not open to the public which included the area called Rescue Ridge, a large flat area with habitats for older animals that cannot climb good any more (they call it their nursing home for animals), the new bear habitat they are building which will be all natural wooded areas for the bears to climb and the new animal hospital.

The only slight drawback is there is no food service there. All cabins have mini fridges that they stock with muffins, fruit cups, juice, water, which is complimentary and they all have microwaves. We brought sandwich makings for lunch and went into Eureka Springs for dinner.

If you have not been there I would encourage you to do so if you are an animal lover. This is a family operated facility and all proceeds from the lodging, tours, gift shop, etc go back to the facility and the animals. Tyson donates all the meat for feeding.

Sorry for the long post but I cannot say enough about this place. We will definitely be going back!!

Old 05-09-2018, 12:37 PM

187 posts, read 185,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
We got back yesterday from Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge and I am still in awe of what we saw there. They are doing marvelous things with these animals that have been rescued. This is not like a zoo, the animal habitats are large and grassy to give them room to roam and play.

There are lions, tigers, white tigers, cougars, panthers, bobcats, bears and some "man made" species that should not exist caused by artificial cross breeding between lions and tigers. Turpentine is not a breeding facility, all males are neutered, it is there strictly to give the animals a good life after they have been rescued from some not so good conditions. When the lions start "caroling" you can hear it all over the facility.
I have never heard a sound like that.

We stayed 3 nights in their lodging and it was great. The staff is extremely accommodating and the interns working there are very knowledgeable and friendly. If you stay there all the tours are included. The cabin we stayed in was adjacent to one of the tiger habitats, we could watch them from our window which was so close you could almost touch them. We paid for a private tour which took us to areas that are not open to the public which included the area called Rescue Ridge, a large flat area with habitats for older animals that cannot climb good any more (they call it their nursing home for animals), the new bear habitat they are building which will be all natural wooded areas for the bears to climb and the new animal hospital.

The only slight drawback is there is no food service there. All cabins have mini fridges that they stock with muffins, fruit cups, juice, water, which is complimentary and they all have microwaves. We brought sandwich makings for lunch and went into Eureka Springs for dinner.

If you have not been there I would encourage you to do so if you are an animal lover. This is a family operated facility and all proceeds from the lodging, tours, gift shop, etc go back to the facility and the animals. Tyson donates all the meat for feeding.

Sorry for the long post but I cannot say enough about this place. We will definitely be going back!!

I visited TCWR in April and couldn't agree more with you about the work that they perform there. We stayed in town at a really cool B&B but I'd like to spend a night at their lodging during my next visit to Eureka Springs. Thanks for this post and spreading the word about the work that TCWR performs to provide these magnificent creatures a better life as well as educating the public about the wretched conditions and treatment that many large cats are subjected to in captivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or