U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:26 AM

166 posts, read 49,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Same thing happened to us when we lived in Dodge City, KS. Sunday was dry day there so we traveled over to the next little Kansas town over - I think it was about 19 miles away to buy our beer. Oh well. Weird, old laws, but, if the writers had a reason of some sort that they thought was Biblical - I'm not gonna put it down (to an excess, any way). It really doesn't stop anything from happening, but you can't fight City Hall, eh?
It's not Biblical to say you can't have a drink! Where in the bible does it say that? This anti drinking stuff is made up be the churches. That wasn't wine that Jesus turned into water, He turned water into wine. The churches need to mind their own business and stop lying to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 08:18 AM

5,201 posts, read 4,679,553 times
That's what I'm saying, Mike Town, we didn't like the rule, either, we were thirsty for a drink in Dodge City on Sunday like a lot of the locals, but that didn't give us a pass to buy liquor on Sunday there. I'm just saying you can't fight City Hall, that's all.

Apparently my post you quoted above was corn-fusing to you in some way. It's clear that we had to put up with a goofy, old rule of theirs there - we weren't going to overturn police cars over it, though. Throw out my Biblical reference if that makes it clearer - I'm just trying to understand their logic - I understand that it's all right to drink according to the Bible. Sheesh.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
That's what I'm saying, Mike Town, we didn't like the rule, either, we were thirsty for a drink in Dodge City on Sunday like a lot of the locals, but that didn't give us a pass to buy liquor on Sunday there. I'm just saying you can't fight City Hall, that's all.

Apparently my post you quoted above was corn-fusing to you in some way. It's clear that we had to put up with a goofy, old rule of theirs there - we weren't going to overturn police cars over it, though. Throw out my Biblical reference if that makes it clearer - I'm just trying to understand their logic - I understand that it's all right to drink according to the Bible. Sheesh.
In my post I meant no afence to you. We just voted in liquor stores in this area in the last four years or so, And still not open on Sunday. If you want to have a drink or two that's a personal choice and no business of church. The church needs to teach the Bible and stop making things up.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:08 AM

66,760 posts, read 76,048,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
In my post I meant no afence to you. We just voted in liquor stores in this area in the last four years or so, And still not open on Sunday. If you want to have a drink or two that's a personal choice and no business of church. The church needs to teach the Bible and stop making things up.
Mike, I am not sure it is the fault of the churches, I think it goes back to old ideas and yes, the Bible belt mentality. We too went wet about the same time your area did I guess. And yes, can't buy liquor on Sundays but can go to a bar and get a drink. Figure that one out. Let me also add many religions are not opposed at all to drinking. It is still a few, but powerful ones that want to push their ideas down our throats.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:55 AM

354 posts, read 861,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Mike, I am not sure it is the fault of the churches, I think it goes back to old ideas and yes, the Bible belt mentality. We too went wet about the same time your area did I guess. And yes, can't buy liquor on Sundays but can go to a bar and get a drink. Figure that one out. Let me also add many religions are not opposed at all to drinking. It is still a few, but powerful ones that want to push their ideas down our throats.
Us Catholics have no problem with a libation or two!! And I don't mind the liquor stores here not being open on Sunday. It gives them a day off and I can buy whatever I need Monday thru Saturday and have never run out on Sunday.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:32 AM

66,760 posts, read 76,048,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
Us Catholics have no problem with a libation or two!! And I don't mind the liquor stores here not being open on Sunday. It gives them a day off and I can buy whatever I need Monday thru Saturday and have never run out on Sunday.
totally agree. Us Lutherans and the Episcopalians Share your views. As for having enough on hand, we too always plan for the weekend ahead. If we run out that is our problem. Of course that is easy for me to say, MO is only 10 minutes from where we live and they are open on Sundays.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:37 AM

Being closed on Sunday is fine with me I don't care. I don't know what good it does the stores wont lose any money, It's like you knowing a big storm is moving in you stock up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or