Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,149 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are looking to relocate from Wichita Falls, Texas. Arkansas is a top contender, but we don't really know where to start looking. We want to find somewhere outside of a big city (for job possibilities, pubs, concerts, etc) but my husband wants it rural enough that he can have chickens and enjoy the beautiful scenery nature gives us.
He is a country boy and I am a city girl. We are both ~30, and like to go out and have some drinks, but clubs are not our scene. We are more of the small bar and brewery sort.
We also want to find somewhere culturally diverse. We are starting a family soon and want our future kids to grow up surrounded by people of different races and cultures (we are both white, but intolerant of racism).
We are pretty open to anywhere in the state, but have mainly looked around NWA since it's close to his OK family, my TX family, and seems pretty diverse.
To give you an idea of where we will be moving from, WF cost of living is 98%, pretty mixed when it comes to racial diversity, has smaller cities outside of it (most predominately white) BUT 2 hours away from DFW.
We wont mind commuting 30 -45 minutes to and from work, and would like to be around an hour from concert venues, family activities, etc.
TIA for y'alls suggesstions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:33 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
City-data has a feature where you can see the demographics of any city/town listed. It also has detailed average weather stats, employment information, religious information ...just pull up a town and start perusing. Most of AR is rural just outside of city limits...raising chickens, particularly without roosters will most likely be allowed.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-13-2018, 01:29 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Out of curiosity, what makes Arkansas your top contender?

Old 06-14-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Out of curiosity, what makes Arkansas your top contender?
More or less, it is a medical marijuana state and also has an IVF mandate.
After that, it's the most centrally located area to all of our family, and my husband loves to hunt.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitNit87 View Post
After that, it's the most centrally located area to all of our family, and my husband loves to hunt.
just to let you know, we did vote medical marijuana in 2 years ago, we still have no availability. Otherwise your reasoning makes sense.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:32 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
In vitro fertilisation mandate?
Or is there something else with that acronym?

Hmmm, learn something new every day.
https://www.fertilityauthority.com/c...urance-mandate
Quote:
According to this fertility treatment insurance law, which was enacted in 1987, all accident and health insurance companies in the state that cover maternity benefits must include in vitro fertilization (IVF) as a covered expense. Health maintenance organizations (HMOs) are exempt from the law.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
In vitro fertilisation mandate?
Or is there something else with that acronym?

Hmmm, learn something new every day.
https://www.fertilityauthority.com/c...urance-mandate
Yeah, it's great. Moving from a state that has it, this is my most important need.

As far as the medical marijuana part, it's a plus but not completely mandatory. But if it is legalized in the state, then it's only a matter of time before dispensaries pop up and more and more doctors prescribe it.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
City-data has a feature where you can see the demographics of any city/town listed. It also has detailed average weather stats, employment information, religious information ...just pull up a town and start perusing. Most of AR is rural just outside of city limits...raising chickens, particularly without roosters will most likely be allowed.

Regards
Gemstone1
I know this about city-data. I've been using the site for over 8 years religiously. But when you know almost NOTHING about the state, cities and towns are just words and it becomes overwhelming, hence what the forums are for. Also, I prefer to listen to what people have to say about an area first hand than just read about it on paper. My current city (hometown) looks bad on paper when it comes to crime, but it really isnt that bad if you stay away from certain neighborhoods during certain times.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:28 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
I know this about city-data. I've been using the site for over 8 years religiously. But when you know almost NOTHING about the state, cities and towns are just words and it becomes overwhelming, hence what the forums are for. Also, I prefer to listen to what people have to say about an area first hand than just read about it on paper. My current city (hometown) looks bad on paper when it comes to crime, but it really isnt that bad if you stay away from certain neighborhoods during certain times.
I think the suggestion of the city-data tool was for the demographics (racial makeup) of certain areas since that seems to be very important to you. Many areas many would normally suggest probably wouldn't fit the bill for much in the way of cultural diversity.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 PM

69 posts, read 95,409 times
Quote:
Hi! My husband and I are looking to relocate from Wichita Falls, Texas. Arkansas is a top contender, but we don't really know where to start looking. We want to find somewhere outside of a big city (for job possibilities, pubs, concerts, etc) but my husband wants it rural enough that he can have chickens and enjoy the beautiful scenery nature gives us.
He is a country boy and I am a city girl. We are both ~30, and like to go out and have some drinks, but clubs are not our scene. We are more of the small bar and brewery sort.
We also want to find somewhere culturally diverse. We are starting a family soon and want our future kids to grow up surrounded by people of different races and cultures (we are both white, but intolerant of racism).
We are pretty open to anywhere in the state, but have mainly looked around NWA since it's close to his OK family, my TX family, and seems pretty diverse.
To give you an idea of where we will be moving from, WF cost of living is 98%, pretty mixed when it comes to racial diversity, has smaller cities outside of it (most predominately white) BUT 2 hours away from DFW.
We wont mind commuting 30 -45 minutes to and from work, and would like to be around an hour from concert venues, family activities, etc.
TIA for y'alls suggesstions!

I think Bentonville or Fayetteville would check most of those boxes. Really if you want to just live outside of those city limits somewhere you can have land, some animals, and easily drive into town to the Walmart AMP (outdoor concert venue) or Dickson St in Fayetteville. Bentonville seems to have a few festivals a year (I believe a women's festival, the LPGA event at Pinnacle CC has weeklong events, most of these things are put on by Walmart. Fayetteville has the University that obviously attracts people from all over either in research, teaching, or studying. There's a pride parade, Bike festival, great farmers market, good library.These are the 2 more diverse towns. Bentonville is very geared towards the young professional crowd, yet it's still only about 50k. It's not hard to get to a rural area from anywhere here. Fayetteville is more unique and less chains than Benton county, but most of the jobs are up in Benton county these days.
Also these 2 cities have the better schools overall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas