U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,672 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm interested in how you had 4 acres cleared. We are buying a property outside of HSB. It doesn't have any pasture - just house with small yard. Most of the remaining acerage is brush and woods. I want to clear out about 2 acres to develop a pasture for my horses. How easy (and expensive) do you think that will be?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:47 PM

620 posts, read 1,824,628 times
Bootsieb is probably directing their question at you RogMar, but I may have a solution.

In Horseshoe you can contact Foster's Lawn Care (Jonathan & Amy Foster) at 1512 West Cardinal Drive. Rather than post their telephone number publicly, I'll PM it to you. I've been using their services for lawn maintenance at my house in Horseshoe for a year now. I think you'll find them honest and reliable. I don't know if he'll clear acreage, but it don't hurt to ask. He cleared a lot of limbs for me after the ice storm in February this year.

Hope this helps,
Bull Winkus

Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,357,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsieb View Post
Hi! I'm interested in how you had 4 acres cleared. We are buying a property outside of HSB. It doesn't have any pasture - just house with small yard. Most of the remaining acerage is brush and woods. I want to clear out about 2 acres to develop a pasture for my horses. How easy (and expensive) do you think that will be?
Bull Winkus gave you one option.

I had mine bulldozed.

For every ten farmers, there's probably 6 that own a bulldozer. You can call around and get some people to come out and give you estimates.

If a bulldozer works it, and smooths it, add your grass seed right then. For two acres I'd use at least 100 pounds. Use rye for winter coverage, and either a fescue or bermuda grass for warm weather, you might want to check and see which would be best for horses.

The nice thing about dozing is that it gives you a nice clear place to start. hey can also push over any trees you don't want around.

When I had mine done, my building spot was *heavily* wooded with oaks. IIRC, it cost me about $3,500 to have it dozed, a lot of trees pushed over, the trees burnt, the root balls buried, and the initial seeding done.

That was for 4 acres, but that was more than a couple of years ago, and the guy that did it had both a Cat D6 and a large Case working at the same time.

If you need some numbers to start with, DM me, I'm 14 miles from HSB and know a few of the popular dozer guys.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 AM

7 posts, read 29,191 times
We are looking at moving to HSB and would appreciate a little local information (better armed b4 calling the realtor for a sales pitch). We are looking at a home near Crown Lake. Earlier posts indicate a lot of cheap lots for sale in the area being bought by foreign investors? Looking at homes (online), indicate a mandatory fee? Can someone tell me what that fee is? Tornados? Are there laws on dog types or numbers owned? Thanx for any info you can give me. Richard and Michele

Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 AM

69,254 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastarker View Post
We are looking at moving to HSB and would appreciate a little local information (better armed b4 calling the realtor for a sales pitch). We are looking at a home near Crown Lake. Earlier posts indicate a lot of cheap lots for sale in the area being bought by foreign investors? Looking at homes (online), indicate a mandatory fee? Can someone tell me what that fee is? Tornados? Are there laws on dog types or numbers owned? Thanx for any info you can give me. Richard and Michele
I can't tell you exactly the manatory fees but I will tell you here in Bella Vista they are $24.00 per month and will probably soon go up a little. I have heard in HSV they are $32.00 a month. That should give you some idea. I don't know about how many dogs, but I don't think there are any rules as to what kind you can have. As for foreign investers, that is a story you hear about land and homes in California, OK, NM and many other places. I wouldn't pay too much attention to this.

Nita

Old 07-20-2009, 10:38 AM

620 posts, read 1,824,628 times
Quote:
I assume you're planning on calling Jill Boyer at Scenic. She can fill you in on the details, but I'll tell you all I know, which should be taken with a grain of salt.

I bought a house there in July of last year, but I haven't moved there yet. That's why I'm a little sketchy on all this. I don't know of any association fees. I'm sure there must be some, but it's so low you don't even think about it. It may be collected in the tax bill or water bill or something. So far, all I'm paying is Water, Electric, Taxes and (what's that other thing?) lawn maintenance. Only the water bill and some of the tax bill goes to HSB.

There is a dog catcher. I remember a voluntary donation to the animal shelter in my tax bill. Haven't noticed any dogs on my visits, so they must be doing a good job.

I think the foreign investors are getting out. Hence this thread about the auctions. IMO a large number of the lots are too small to build on with a septic system, and the sewer is not everywhere yet. That may be the reason for the turnover in empty lots.

Hope this helps. Good luck...

Bull Winkus

Old 07-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
The closer you get to Crown, the higher it is. I recently saw an empty lot over there go for $100k.

You're not going to be paying much as far as taxes and stuff goes in HSB. That town is so broke it can't afford to pay attention. They have strangled themselves to the point that when they had to do budget cuts...again..they laid off one full time police officer.

I would recommend that you get a subscription to the city's paper, "The Pacesetting Times", which comes out once a week. After reading a few of them, you'll see pretty much everything about HSB. It's only $20, and will get you much info.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about living there, I go over there to eat on occasion, but you have your golf crowd, your airport crowd, the fishing club crowd, AARP, various state groups, gardeners club.......

If you like peace & quiet with city amenities, that's the direction to look.

Tornados.....they happen everywhere. Out here in the country we all have shelters, which part of the cost is reimbursed by the state. Arkansas certainly doesn't have the corner on the tornado market.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,129 times
Hi All,good info on here.I live in Ohio,and recently bought a lot on Ben's Creek Rd.I saw pics of it.I am coming out there these summer to to look it over.My purpose for it is to build my retirement home.I have my own biz and intend on doing it myself,with some hired help from there.I have been to Ark. many times,and the Ozarks,and love it.Very nice people.I intend on building in large part,a "Green Home" energy effeciant.I am 49 ,so have some time to complete it.I can't wait to call it home.Thanks for the posts. D.S.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,896,672 times
Did you buy it without seeing it first ?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Did you buy it without seeing it first ?
They've got stock pictures that they send out.

Or else every single lot has a tree with a broken branch and a deer rub in the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or