U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 PM

22 posts, read 37,249 times

Advertisements

After hearing how low housing prices are there, I looked it up, and wonder what it would be like to live there.
I didn't see any information on how hot and Humid it is there in the summer. Does it snow there?
I have never lived where it snows.
I have only lived in Los Angeles (Beach Cities), and Fremont, Ca. Housing and taxes are crazy here.
I might have to take a 50% cut in pay, cor more, but with everything cheaper, I might want to try it out.
I'm nearing retirement age, 57, my wife is retired. I am a CNC Machinist-Programmer, and there are a few jobs there, but I could also program for companies anywhere, from home. My wife was a realestate broker for 30 years here in Fremont, and wants to maybe invest in an income property or two.
After looking on Craigslist I was in Shock, My god, I could have a Mini Mansion for 75% less than I pay now.
A 3 bedroom 2 bath house 1200 sq. ft. here is over 1 million.
Any thoughts would be appreciated especially from someone that moved there from a big city.
Not all Native Californians are snow flakes (Liberals)
People that live in a place for 20 years or more, either hate it or love it.
I hate California. I feel like I am a foreigner in my own land.
Time to move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 PM

4,740 posts, read 6,064,855 times
It's hot and humid, but just "how" so depends on your perspective. I'm not sure about the humidity in California. People from south Louisiana who have moved up there find the heat and humidity quite tolerable.

It sounds like you have a very marketable skill. You would probably do well in the NW Arkansas area (Bentonville/Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville). I believe there would be plenty of investment property for your wife to get into.

There are other regulars on this forum who have lived out west and now live in Arkansas (I don't live there, just wish I could) and can tell you more than I can about the differences. They will be along shortly.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:30 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,338,578 times
I live in Fayetteville, 60 miles north. Fort Smith is pretty blue-collar, but doesn't seem like a bad city overall. One of the biggest challenges Fort Smith faces is a "brain-drain" of their young and educated moving to Fayetteville and Northwest Arkansas. The economy here is better (housing is also more expensive, although not comparable to SF Bay).

Fort Smith sits in the Arkansas River Valley. To the north a few miles are the Ozarks. To the South a few miles are the Ouachitas. There is some really beautiful countryside not far away.

Comparing it to Fayetteville, the downtown is larger (but less gentrified) and the development pattern is a little more haphazard (signs, lack of tree and landscape requirements, more "crappy sprawl"). Politics are definitely more Conservative in Fort Smith compared to Fayetteville (liberal-leaning college town).

Old 04-10-2018, 05:08 AM

68,666 posts, read 78,655,592 times
op, you would really need to visit for a few days to get a true feeling of the NW region in AR. We are native Califorians who left in the 1980s: moved to DC for work until late 80s, then Texas and NM before ending up here. I won't go into detail, as to why the moves or how we ended up here. It has been the best move of our lives. I don't think I would chose Ft Smith btw, but would consider the cities just north. Anywhere from Fayetteville to Bella Vista.

Yes, there is humidity but nothing like say, Tx or LA> or even the DC area and it is only in the worst part of the summer, from maybe mid June to early Sept. The tempts for the most part are not that high. As for snow, every year is different.We have been almost snowless for the past 3 or 4 years.

Of course property is a lot less expensive but for good reason.The economy is just different.

We have found people much friendlier here, not to mention many are not from AR. This was interesting to us when we first moved here. The down side for some it the religious eliment. We were taken back the first few weeks with people asking us if we had found a church yet? I wanted to say, sure I saw 3 or 4 just down the block a bit. Of course I did not and you get used to this. Very few people are religious in your face types.

There are things I miss about other places we have lived and there are things it take time to get used to here, but overall it is a great place to live. Oh, btw it leans pretty conservative which suits us, but there are many liberals living here as well which is the way it should be. Diversity is a good thing.

I have noticed you have posted some very interesting posts in the past few years?

Old 04-10-2018, 09:23 AM

1,610 posts, read 564,245 times
I'm from Minnesota, lived in Dallas /Ft Worth for a number of years, that is a dry heat there. Houston, on the Gulf has a much much higher humidity. My in-laws lived in Little Rock, AR, it can get extremely humid in the summer, a hot, kind of like a steam sauna. Arkansas does not get snow, except on very, very rare occasions, when they do get some it pretty much closes it down. They don't have the equipment to handle it. They do get very rarely, ice storms, like they do in Dallas. Ice storms very rare, pretty much closes everything down.

That said, Arkansas is a beautiful state. Cost of living is generally low in most areas. One thing strange, your car is taxed on your state property value when you file your yearly income taxes, not sure exactly how that works.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:38 AM

1,756 posts, read 1,063,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I'm from Minnesota, lived in Dallas /Ft Worth for a number of years, that is a dry heat there. Houston, on the Gulf has a much much higher humidity. My in-laws lived in Little Rock, AR, it can get extremely humid in the summer, a hot, kind of like a steam sauna. Arkansas does not get snow, except on very, very rare occasions, when they do get some it pretty much closes it down. They don't have the equipment to handle it. They do get very rarely, ice storms, like they do in Dallas. Ice storms very rare, pretty much closes everything down.

That said, Arkansas is a beautiful state. Cost of living is generally low in most areas. One thing strange, your car is taxed on your state property value when you file your yearly income taxes, not sure exactly how that works.
You're incorrect. The southern part of AR might get less snow but the northern part of the state doesn't "rarely" get snow, and we do have what we need to handle it like salt/plow trucks. We got snow about 6 times this year, most recently this past Saturday morning. My county gets an average of a foot per winter.

This is a picture of my front yard after snow:

Last edited by Hollynla; 04-10-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 04:37 PM

1,610 posts, read 564,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
You're incorrect. The southern part of AR might get less snow but the northern part of the state doesn't "rarely" get snow, and we do have what we need to handle it like salt/plow trucks. We got snow about 6 times this year, most recently this past Saturday morning. My county gets an average of a foot per winter.
Where in Arkansas is that and when? My in laws lived in Little Rock for about 30 years and I can only remember maybe three or so any measurable snow that needed removal, salt and sand. I do remember some ice storms happening more often than any snow, this was pre-1997 or so.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:51 PM

1,756 posts, read 1,063,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Where in Arkansas is that and when? My in laws lived in Little Rock for about 30 years and I can only remember maybe three or so any measurable snow that needed removal, salt and sand. I do remember some ice storms happening more often than any snow, this was pre-1997 or so.
There is a lot more to Arkansas than Little Rock, and as you move northward towards the ozarks, the elevation rises. I live in Newton county.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:51 PM

2,425 posts, read 1,145,241 times
That's a big culture change.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:50 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,636,613 times
"That's a big culture change" other than the weather, this is the most influential difference you'll notice. I moved from the Bay Area to the Ozarks in the 70's for some of the same reasons you mention. My real estate dollars did indeed buy more, which was refreshing, taxes were even more appealing. Humidity was (is) very noticeable, it is not something one "gets used to", simply tolerated would better describe it. Arkansas winters can bring snow, I can recall getting stuck in a snow drift once, but as much as I dislike snow, I dislike the humidity even more. As Nita mentioned, Ft Smith would not appear on my radar for potential places to live either, if AR is where you think you want to live out retirement, keep looking. However there are many factors to consider when looking for the best retirement home, local taxes, services, weather, healthcare, cost of living. If it just the concept of getting more bang for your real estate dollar, there are lots of places in the country that would fit the bill. I find, the older I get, the less adventurous the concept of moving again gets.....choose wisely.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or