Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 06:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
We went check out some places in CV this past weekend. Saw a few we're very interested in. Followed up on Monday with calls to realtors. Really hate to say this, but it seemed like they weren't really happy that we are from out of state looking to buy there. Not just CV, but other places as well. Am I wrong with this assumption? Also it seems that a drive to Batesville would supply adequate jobs. Are there any good size towns closer, like for jobs and shopping? I did see a Wal-Mart in Hardy(?), where we turned off 167 to go to CV....

And no, we're not trying to move there and bring our politics with us. Looking for a fresh slate!

We also loved CV. One house we really liked was on Topez Rd, but that steep driveway though! I'm afraid if it freezes, we won't be able to leave or stop from sliding off the "cliff"! Lol
We never felt that way about Bella Vista. half of the town or even more than 1/2 consist of people from other states. Those people left their homes and moved here to be in a quieter, more peaceful region and most have made no attempt to change the city. Oh, there are exceptions, but the rule is: we moved here to escape and we are never going to leave.

I do know what you mean about not feeling welcome though. When we were looking for our forever home when we retired, we seriously considered TN> We changed our minds when we got the same feeling about most of the smaller towns, that you got. The residence were not anxious to have us city folks invade their little corner of the world.

As for the steep drive ways, that too is something that affects people who want the beauty of a view and yet safety. Believe it or not you never hear of anyone slipping into no man's land because of the steep drive ways. We have so many around here. I feel like you do and it becomes problem when you want to entertain and people either have to park and walk up or down the drive way to get to the house or they have to be brave enough to attempt driving up or down. This becomes a bigger issue as we age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 08:27 AM

1,665 posts, read 973,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We never felt that way about Bella Vista. half of the town or even more than 1/2 consist of people from other states. Those people left their homes and moved here to be in a quieter, more peaceful region and most have made no attempt to change the city. Oh, there are exceptions, but the rule is: we moved here to escape and we are never going to leave.

I do know what you mean about not feeling welcome though. When we were looking for our forever home when we retired, we seriously considered TN> We changed our minds when we got the same feeling about most of the smaller towns, that you got. The residence were not anxious to have us city folks invade their little corner of the world.

As for the steep drive ways, that too is something that affects people who want the beauty of a view and yet safety. Believe it or not you never hear of anyone slipping into no man's land because of the steep drive ways. We have so many around here. I feel like you do and it becomes problem when you want to entertain and people either have to park and walk up or down the drive way to get to the house or they have to be brave enough to attempt driving up or down. This becomes a bigger issue as we age.

Thank you for the response. I did check on Zillow for Bella Vista but unfortunately some homes were out of our price range. We're looking for something cheap and habitable, where we can do repairs ourselves. But I'm quite sure there's many more houses that is not listed. I'm just not looking forward to driving around! This weekend we drove up to Conway, around Dover, the next day up to CV, then down to HS and HSV. Then home the next. Did some serious mileage! Lol

Old 07-31-2020, 01:13 AM

38 posts, read 54,417 times
I've inquired in the past with questions about different properties and had no issues with hearing back from various realtors until just recently. I'm just venturing a guess here, but I'm thinking a lot has to do with the covid situation and the fear of people bringing it from other states perhaps. I'm sure if that's the case, those fears would certainly be understandable. I do have some friends that have lived down there for many years, and they did tell me their winters are relatively short, but snow and ice aren't out of the question. I've only been down there in the spring, summer and fall, so I don't know what winter driving conditions would be like there. I'm not really concerned myself since when I do head that way I'll be retired and won't need to worry much about driving at that point.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of jobs around that area to speak of, but that all depends I'm sure on what type of work you would be looking for. For the most part, jobs within an hour in any direction from there seem somewhat scarce. But, I'm not there, yet, so I'm not the expert. Perhaps some of the locals might care to weigh in on the subject. Btw, where are you from? I'm currently in Illinois.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:22 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
I traveled Northeast Arkansas for 12 years living and working out of Memphis.

I loved the Ozarks and traveling the area around Cherokee Village. That was back when CV was being developed by Cooper Communities out of Hot Springs.

If there are Walmart supercenters, the area's built up dramatically. But the region has never been an industrialized place with most factories, etc. over in Jonesboro or up in Missouri. It's just too far to commute for a job. And even then, jobs in Jonesboro didn't pay well.

Cherokee Village is what it is--a great place to retire to. You have the golf courses there. And you have a fabulous impoundment with Lake Norfolk west of there at Mountain Home. It's truly God's country where live remains simple to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas