U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:28 AM

67,521 posts, read 77,272,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Good grief. This is not at ALL what occurred, as should be evident to anyone reading this thread.

nmnita, you responded very defensively to the OP's original inquiry about whether his or her not being a Trump fan would make living in Hot Springs difficult, and you indicated that you thought he or she was equating being a Trump supporter with being a racist.

I would not be well-impressed by such a "welcome", were I the OP. Fortunately, with my Arkansas background, I know that this was not a typical response and that most Arkansans are more laid-back, regardless of their political views.

I then wrote - to try to return the conversation to the original inquiry - and said I didn't see where the OP had equated supporting Trump with being a racist.

That was my ONLY mention of Trump in this thread. I went on to describe some of the other attractions of the Hot Springs area, about which the OP had also inquired.

Why are you being so defensive, and why are you accusing me of "having to bring the topic up", when my only mention of Trump was in response to your reply to the OP? I was certainly not the one who introduced this evidently very touchy topic to this thread.
let's just agree to disagree on this one; you have your views and I have mine: you see things one way I see things a different way; neither of us are always right or always wrong. So, now let's drop the whole thing. As mentioned OP hasn't been back so doubt this is worth losing sleep over anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 06:13 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,059,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I don't see where the OP claimed or implied that "all Trump lovers are racist". He/she simply described himself or herself as someone who is neither a Trump lover nor racist. As noted, the two do not necessarily equate, although certainly there are some people who are both.

OP: I can't speak to your other concerns, as I was a recent visitor to this area, not a local, but the Hot Springs area is great for outdoor recreation. Lake Ouachita State Park is nearby, along with Lake Catherine and other lakes, and provides boating, camping, swimming, fishing and hiking, while the beautiful and mountainous Ouachita National Forest, with lots of trails, picnic areas and campgrounds, is also close at hand.

The Ouachita Mountains are noted for deposits of beautiful quartz crystals, and several reasonably priced commercial mines, where you can dig for crystals and keep your finds, are a short distance north of Hot Springs. The area is popular with tourists.

Lots of traditional Southern homestyle cooking s available at places like The Home Plate in Jessieville, north of town on Scenic Highway Seven (en route to the crystal mines, Lake Ouachita State Park, and the Ouachita National Forest). Not sure about gourmet cooking, but lots of barbecue places, etc., are in the area.

The town itself is historic and a bit quirky. Most of the elegant old bathhouses have been restored or repurposed, and Hot Springs National Park is near the heart of town. Little Rock is only about a hour away, and offers a wide variety of restaurants, museums, festivals, concerts, and big-city attractions.

Hope you will visit and check out the possibilities
Thank you CraigCreek. I was asking for one of my sons, his wife, and their child.

They have visited the area, and like it quite a bit. However, as with many tourist spots, visiting is different to living there permanantly.

No, I did not mean to imply that "all people who love Trump are racists" however, Trump is a pretty devisive president, and he is pretty aggressive about his opinions. He has said or tweeted that he really does not care much for the loser Americans who didn't vote for him. I believe it was in his acceptance speach.

We aren't talking about George W. Bush or George H.W. Bush, who tried to be presidents for all Americans. George W. called himself a "uniter not a divider".
After 9/11, he famously told Americans that many Muslims were good, people and warned that people should not take their anger out on the Muslim community because of the actions of a few.

I've heard nothing even close to this from Pres. Trump.

Recently, I read something, a joke, about a fee in a certain community to "keep out minorities and liberals" I didn't hear many people rebuking him.

I think I will take a trip with my son and his wife and visit for myself. The area does look beautiful, but there seems to be reason to be a bit cautious, as a transplant.

It's much different when you are from the area. As a trasplant, you have more barriers to overcome.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=48281053 - this is distubrurbing.

Last edited by SoulJourn; 04-25-2018 at 06:37 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
most all regions have progressive churches that welcome new members. As for not being a Trump lover or racist, let me say, not all Trump lovers are racist. Where in the world did you get that idea and certainly in HS there are a number of residence that do not support Trump. You might have a different idea of what AR is like from those comments. So give them a try, spend some time there and see what you think.
The denomination is not always an accurate preditor of the progressivness of a denomination.

My son and his wife attend a United Methodist Church in a Midwestern suburb or a larger city. It is open and accepting of Gay people, and it's multi-cultural. They are proudly proclaim that they have "Open hearts, Open Minds, Open doors".

Methodists are rather moderate, and in my state, also in the Midwest, one can also find more conservative UM Churches are are almost fundamentalist.

So, even within one denomination, their is conciderable latitude in terms of beliefs.

I'm an ordained minister. (not UMC) I tend to notice this type of thing.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Notice the OP hasn't replied since they started the thread. Another big surprise.
Well, "Surprise, Surprise", I am back.

I think I'll make it a regular stop, since I am curious what others have to say. So far, other than Craig, are understand why I'm not exactly feeling much of that "Southern Hospitality" on this thread - or the other, where there was a joke about a charge to "keep out liberals and minorities".

Since my son and his family seem very interested in the area, I'll be reading this sub-forum religiously, you might say.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:23 AM

1,580 posts, read 971,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Thank you CraigCreek. I was asking for one of my sons, his wife, and their child.

They have visited the area, and like it quite a bit. However, as with many tourist spots, visiting is different to living there permanantly.

No, I did not mean to imply that "all people who love Trump are racists" however, Trump is a pretty devisive president, and he is pretty aggressive about his opinions. He has said or tweeted that he really does not care much for the loser Americans who didn't vote for him. I believe it was in his acceptance speach.

We aren't talking about George W. Bush or George H.W. Bush, who tried to be presidents for all Americans. George W. called himself a "uniter not a divider".
After 9/11, he famously told Americans that many Muslims were good, people and warned that people should not take their anger out on the Muslim community because of the actions of a few.

Recently, I read something, a joke, about a fee in a certain community to "keep out minorities and liberals" I didn't hear many people rebuking him.

I think I will take a trip with my son and his wife and visit for myself. The area does look beautiful, but there seems to be reason to be a bit cautious, as a transplant.

It's much different when you are from the area. As a trasplant, you have more barriers to overcome.

Well that wasn't political at all........... W....T....H!?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:15 AM

38,458 posts, read 22,455,945 times
Quote:

I believe that Hot Springs is probably dominated by transplants. I don't think there would be all that many barriers. But people should visit the areas they are interested in moving to. You're not going to get a feel for the community from the internet. The internet posters are such a small percentage of the population, they aren't representative at all.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:13 AM

2,499 posts, read 4,083,880 times
I'll ask again at the risk of fanning the flames of another trollish thread - what does your opinion of President Trump have to do with your sons interest in Hot Springs, Arkansas? Tell me why anyone here should put an ounce of stock into anything you've written as credible. Why not save those who have trouble discerning the time and just admit you're in here taking advantage of a forum with no moderator in order to serve up more political bunk and start fights?

Btw, I know the difference between a truly ordained minister and someone who claims to be such in an effort to gain some type of credibility in a debate with strangers. Nothing I've read from you is indicative of being either ordained or a minister in any way, shape, or form.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 AM

38,458 posts, read 22,455,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I'll ask again at the risk of fanning the flames of another trollish thread - what does your opinion of President Trump have to do with your sons interest in Hot Springs, Arkansas? Tell me why anyone here should put an ounce of stock into anything you've written as credible. Why not save those who have trouble discerning the time and just admit you're in here taking advantage of a forum with no moderator in order to serve up more political bunk and start fights?

Btw, I know the difference between a truly ordained minister and someone who claims to be such in an effort to gain some type of credibility in a debate with strangers. Nothing I've read from you is indicative of being either ordained or a minister in any way, shape, or form.
Wow. They really got under your skin, huh?

Old 04-26-2018, 10:44 AM

20 posts, read 25,879 times
I live in Hot Springs Village. There are not a lot of minorities here but the ones I have met seem like they are as welcomed as much as anyone else. There are probably some racists here but I have not crossed paths with them. Though there are a lot of Trump supporters, there are also a lot of Democrats, Libertarians, etc. I would certainly not pick a place to live or draw conclusions about a state or area of the country based on forum comments.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:36 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,907,361 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
It sounds like the sentiment of someone who does not live in HSV but who has "ideas" about how everyone in HSV thinks and feels about things.

Granted, there may not be a lot of minorities in HSV but I believe that would be more about economics rather than some sort of conspiracy to keep them out. I believe the majority of people in HSV are more concerned with the content of any potential resident's character — and whether they will be quiet, peaceable, law-abiding, and neat & clean — than what the color of their skin is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or