Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 11:24 PM

6 posts, read 12,109 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone in here can help get point me in the right direction! We will be traveling to the Hot Springs area in July to visit my FIL who is turning 80. He is a self-imposed shut in. He is elderly in stature, hard of hearing, self-sufficient, a proud veteran, and a chain smoker. We will be visiting with our two kids, ages 10 and 12. We would like to get him out of his apartment to enjoy some time with his grandkids. We’ll need two separate rooms/cabins due to his habits. Can anyone recommend somewhere relatively affordable to take him away to for a couple of days? Somewhere where he can sit, tell stories and watch the kids play- just enjoy family time together, maybe get some ice cream sort of speed? We could venture out a bit within a 1-3 hour radius or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 04:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basonbabe View Post
Hopefully someone in here can help get point me in the right direction! We will be traveling to the Hot Springs area in July to visit my FIL who is turning 80. He is a self-imposed shut in. He is elderly in stature, hard of hearing, self-sufficient, a proud veteran, and a chain smoker. We will be visiting with our two kids, ages 10 and 12. We would like to get him out of his apartment to enjoy some time with his grandkids. We’ll need two separate rooms/cabins due to his habits. Can anyone recommend somewhere relatively affordable to take him away to for a couple of days? Somewhere where he can sit, tell stories and watch the kids play- just enjoy family time together, maybe get some ice cream sort of speed? We could venture out a bit within a 1-3 hour radius or so.
I certainly do not have an answer for you as I really don't know enough about the Hot Springs area but I do give you a lot of credit for wanting to make his life a little more enjoyable for a few days. I can tell you, having family that cares is a wonderful thing as we age. I know hubby and I are so thankful for our children and grandchildren. Luckily for us, some live near us.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:33 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Quote:
Maybe somewhere around Petit Jean state park. To find some cabins, you could go to VRBO.com and put your dates and budget in and see what's available. Good luck and have a great time.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:48 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,163 times
Quote:

Take him out to Shangri La Resort on Lake Ouachita. It is about a 45 minute drive from Hot Springs out Hwy 270. It has been there a long time and they have a motel section along with kitchenette cabins. It is very clean and well kept. The restaurant there is very good and they have fabulous pies.

There is a large covered boat dock but I am not sure if they rent boats but I would suspect they might if you want to go out on the lake. Every time I went I had my own boat. If you do go out make sure you have a map or GPS as there are no homes on the lake for landmarks, only the point and island markers and it is easy to get lost out there but the lake is absolutely beautiful and the clearest water you will see. You can find it on Google Earth or Maps if you want to see it.

Contact Us

Last edited by btoverdrive; 05-20-2018 at 06:06 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I second the Shangri la. We stayed there for a couple of nights a couple of years ago and used it as home base to take the kids diamond hunting and crystal hunting.

It's vintage, but was clean and in good condition. Make sure and reserve your piece of pie the night before or you may not get any.

Another good place is Kirby Landing on Lake Greeson. They have newer motel rooms with a kitchenette. It's clean and the owners are nice. You can bring food and cook or the owners can recommend a good place. I think they may also make burgers or sandwiches on site. Sweet Peas has good bbq. We rented a boat and ate at a place by the dam that was pretty decent. July is hot wherever you go, but the rooms are air conditioned. They had a deal where you could stay the week the same price as staying for a weekend. That was pretty economical for us. Check it out. You know your limits.

You might check into Mt Nebo also. They have a lodge and cabins up there. It is beautiful. You could also check VRBO to see if there is something more economical for you.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,109 times
Thank you for the suggestions! I’m going to get right on researching them. I honestly had no clue where to even begin. These sound perfect!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
I vote for Petit Jean State Park. Get a larger cabin if you can, or rent both sides of a duplex cabin - they come with fully equipped kitchens (so you can save on meals), screened porches with swings and patios or decks with picnic tables (sometimes both), and are air-conditioned. If you get one of the larger cabins, you'll also have a view of Cedar Creek Canyon out back; maybe even Cedar Falls. Lodge rooms are small, but comfortable - it's a historic building, which helps explain the rooms' size. Showers only in the bathrooms. Some cabins have tubs, however. Some even have hot tubs!

Beautiful Mather lodge is very close to the cabins - five minutes' walk max. - and there is an adjacent pool plus a wide variety of trails, ranging from short and easy to longer and more challenging. The kids will enjoy the turtle rocks, the Indian cave with petroglyphs, and the Bear Cave, and everyone will like the Arkansas River overlook (at the other end of the mountain) and the nearby museum of antique automobiles.

The only drawback is that the state park cabins and lodge are all non-smoking. But there are plenty of outdoor areas where smoking is allowed.

Take Scenic Seven up through the Ouachita National Forest en route to Petit Jean - it's gorgeous and includes nice picnic grounds with restrooms.

Something else your kids would enjoy while you're visiting would be the Ron Coleman Crystal Mine, off Highway Seven in Jessieville, about fifteen miles north of Hot Springs. Wear old clothes, take plenty of water and wear a hat and try to get there early to avoid the heat of the day. Go on the tour, check out the zip line, and come home with some beautiful treasures! See online reviews for more info.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:48 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Maybe someone else could give better directions on this. Another thing to do if you are staying at Shangra La or Kirby Landing is a day trip to the Little Missouri River Winding stairs. I don't know about the grandfather going, but the kids would love it. The trail going in isn't real far or too bad, but you go down the side of the hill a bit and I'm not sure how well grandpa would do. There are pools, waterfalls and places to wade and splash through the water. It's beautiful and refreshing. Bring water shoes and wear a swim suit.

I hope there is a photo attached. I had to crop it to make it smaller. You have waterfalls you can climb on and some deeper pools to wade in. I'm not sure about pools for actual swimming, but it is a lot of fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Help finding get away spot with elderly vet and kids- Hot Springs area-20160620_123555-edited.jpg  

Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The only drawback is that the state park cabins and lodge are all non-smoking. But there are plenty of outdoor areas where smoking is allowed.

I thought about the smoking angle...most places these days are non-smoking. I doubt a "chain-smoker" is going to want to stay outside all the time so they can smoke...especially in July!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:42 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I thought about the smoking angle...most places these days are non-smoking. I doubt a "chain-smoker" is going to want to stay outside all the time so they can smoke...especially in July!
Well, then, there's the state park lodge and cabins atop Mt. Magazine, highest mountain in Arkansas and usually five to ten degrees cooler than the valleys 2,000+ feet below! Smoking is allowed outside the lodge and cabins, which are large and elegantly rustic, with lots of amenities - but which are also considerably more expensive than Petit Jean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas