U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 12:40 PM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa77gregg View Post
We have seen a video of Rogers lately - are the roads very winding there too? Thanks.
not as much so. I can understand your concerns about windy roads. But I can also assure you we get used to them. The biggest problem in night driving. Most of us over 70 or so try to stay off the roads at night most of the time. Let me add, there are a lot of retired couples living here in Bella Vista from Iowa, all parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 04:13 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,103,376 times
Rogers isn't what I'd call a small town. I'm still not sure if you're looking for more small town rural or an area like NWA.

Have you ever been to AR?

Old 05-29-2018, 02:17 AM

2,112 posts, read 625,203 times
I think anywhere in the I-30, US-167 and US-67 Corridors are good.

At least until you get past Newport on US-67, where it begins to
resemble the Iowa you are trying to leave

Old 05-29-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Rogers isn't what I'd call a small town. I'm still not sure if you're looking for more small town rural or an area like NWA.

Have you ever been to AR?
totally agree. Rogers is just part of the urban,if you want to call it that, part of NWA.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:08 AM

2,278 posts, read 1,448,164 times
Quote:
Plan on escaping the harsh winter and corn fields here.

North-East Arkansas is flat lands and rice fields. Summers are boiling hot out this way compared to places like Mountain Home. Don't let that fool you though, anywhere in Arkansas will be hot and sticky in Summer. Winters are nice, but you do have your ice storms.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
North-East Arkansas is flat lands and rice fields. Summers are boiling hot out this way compared to places like Mountain Home. Don't let that fool you though, anywhere in Arkansas will be hot and sticky in Summer. Winters are nice, but you do have your ice storms.
curiosity, how much time have you spent in Ar? do you actually live here? I ask because some of what you say is true, other part is exaggerated. Yes, NEAR is flat, but where i have a concern is your statement about hot and sticky. Of course coming from the upper mid west the humidity would seem high, but compared to the southern part of AR and the rest of the south it isn't bad at all. As for ice storms, yes, they exist but they are rare and very seldom bad enough to close schools or make driving a challenge, especially for those coming from further north.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 4,820 times
Grateful for all the replies. We have been to Arkansas, but years ago, coming from Memphis - only been to the eastern part. Summers in Iowa are hot and humid too. Another reason why we want to move - the high property taxes in Iowa! We look for a smaller city but not too small.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 AM

9,664 posts, read 7,638,989 times
OP, is it winding, curving roads, or hilly roads that concern you most? Eastern Arkansas is board-flat (except for Crowley's Ridge) and many roads will be straight. The hills and mountains (well, one mountain, Pinnacle) appear at Little Rock, and they continue throughout the north western and west central part of Arkansas. However, there are valleys in between those hills and mountains, and that's where roads tend to run. Most will have gentle curves, with some obvious exceptions (the road up Mt. Nebo is notorious for hairpin turns).

But it's not going to be like the right-angled intersections and straight-to-the-horizon roads you're accustomed to in Iowa. No endless fields of corn, either, though you can certainly grow and get good corn in Arkansas. My retired farmer grandfather always planted Country Gentleman, a white-kerneled sweet corn that I am not sure is still around, in his large home garden in Conway.

Actually, you might take a look at Conway. Although the land east of town is hilly, the western part, heading over to the Arkansas River, is pretty flat, and it's a nice college town, easily accessible to Little Rock (which is MUCH hillier).

Have you looked at a good road map of Arkansas? That will indicate winding roads, and might also include altitude so you can spot the hills and mountains. While hilly countryside is usually very lovely, it might not suit you, so looking in other parts of Arkansas - or keeping to the valleys - might be better for you.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:04 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Quote:
Grateful for all the replies. We have been to Arkansas, but years ago, coming from Memphis - only been to the eastern part. Summers in Iowa are hot and humid too. Another reason why we want to move - the high property taxes in Iowa! We look for a smaller city but not too small.
I have relatives in Iowa. Their hot and sticky is a bit less so than Arkansas. I don't feel it as much as when I have visited there in summer. Arkansas has a longer summer. Winter is not as harsh and does not have as much snow. Snow in Arkansas does not hang around like it does up north. It rarely dips below 0 degrees. I haven't lived in Arkansas for several years. As I recall, it doesn't get in the teens in winter much either. It's all relative. Arkansas will have a more comfortable winter for you.

If you are a gardener, you can grow corn and a good variety of other things. I don't think I have seen anyone grow rhubarb, raspberries and some of the cooler loving fruits/veggies in Arkansas. My grandfather always grew tomatoes in his Iowa garden. The skins were not as hard as ours that we grew in our garden. He may have had a trick we didn't know. I think the hotter sun may have done a number on ours. I just usually peeled them. Our Arkansas garden had better okra. I can't remember if they were able to grow it. Okra is more of a southern specialty.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I have relatives in Iowa. Their hot and sticky is a bit less so than Arkansas. I don't feel it as much as when I have visited there in summer. Arkansas has a longer summer. Winter is not as harsh and does not have as much snow. Snow in Arkansas does not hang around like it does up north. It rarely dips below 0 degrees. I haven't lived in Arkansas for several years. As I recall, it doesn't get in the teens in winter much either. It's all relative. Arkansas will have a more comfortable winter for you.

If you are a gardener, you can grow corn and a good variety of other things. I don't think I have seen anyone grow rhubarb, raspberries and some of the cooler loving fruits/veggies in Arkansas. My grandfather always grew tomatoes in his Iowa garden. The skins were not as hard as ours that we grew in our garden. He may have had a trick we didn't know. I think the hotter sun may have done a number on ours. I just usually peeled them. Our Arkansas garden had better okra. I can't remember if they were able to grow it. Okra is more of a southern specialty.
We actually have several raspberry farms in the NW corner on AR. WE used to go picking but we are getting a little to old for that now. As for Okra, you are right it grows almost wild here.I just planted mine a few days ago. My neighbor from Iowa does have rhubarb in her garden, but I think she originally brought it from Iowa Iowa. They visit Iowa several times a year. Blueberries and blackberries are everywhere around here. The blueberries are soon going to be at their peek but our late spring, or should I say no spring has postponed the raspberries. And our blackberries have hardly started. We have trouble picking the wild ones that are in the lots around us cause the deer get to them before we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or