Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,620,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Please forgive me for butting in from another state.
Here in Northern California, in a small mountain town at 1,700 feet elevation, the two major concerns are:

Forest fires
and
The price / lack of availability of property insurance. It is nearly impossible to get new or change homeowners insurance because most large companies like State Farm, Farmers, Geico refuse to accept new clients. It has to do with the fires we have all over.
Car insurance is easy.

If you don't mind, what are things Arkansas residents worry about the most?
Keeping the ticks and chiggers at bay in the summer months and keeping the beer cold on the drive home from the wet county we had to drive to go buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 07:27 PM

8,612 posts, read 4,442,888 times
I got the tics and chiggers on the run, but now I have deer eating my grass.

Oh, yes, deciding which Bar-B-Q place is the best

As for insurance, the two things that worries me most are that there doesn't seem to be any record of when it was built, so I had to guess that for the insurance, and that my house is surrounded by ash trees (one estimated at well over 3 tons), and Emerald Ash Borers were found less than 50 miles from my house.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:00 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I got the tics and chiggers on the run, but now I have deer eating my grass.

Oh, yes, deciding which Bar-B-Q place is the best

As for insurance, the two things that worries me most are that there doesn't seem to be any record of when it was built, so I had to guess that for the insurance, and that my house is surrounded by ash trees (one estimated at well over 3 tons), and Emerald Ash Borers were found less than 50 miles from my house.
while you guys have the deer eating your grass, which is ok and deciding about where to have your next ribs, I have to decide where to put our mouse trap. It seems they have taken over our kitchen in the past few days, so much so, they are eating my cherry tomatoes right off the counter. Twice in the past few days I have one out, picked a handful, put the on the sink as I don't like to put them in the fridge and came into the kitchen in the morning, just to find a couple of them missing. Once our cat did catch one, but all the cat did all day was play with it. Luckily hubby was able to get the poor thing and throw it outside. Cat never did kill it. So today, it is a trip to Ace hardware for a trap or two. Just don't know exactly where to put them. I certainly am not going to pit the traps on the counter top.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
while you guys have the deer eating your grass, which is ok and deciding about where to have your next ribs, I have to decide where to put our mouse trap. It seems they have taken over our kitchen in the past few days, so much so, they are eating my cherry tomatoes right off the counter. Twice in the past few days I have one out, picked a handful, put the on the sink as I don't like to put them in the fridge and came into the kitchen in the morning, just to find a couple of them missing. Once our cat did catch one, but all the cat did all day was play with it. Luckily hubby was able to get the poor thing and throw it outside. Cat never did kill it. So today, it is a trip to Ace hardware for a trap or two. Just don't know exactly where to put them. I certainly am not going to pit the traps on the counter top.
I would get six, not one or two. And I have found the best place to put them is where you won't step on them, but near a baseboard or along a ledge. Always where a surface meets a wall. And that includes inside cabinets, unless they are built tight enough an ant can't get in them.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:12 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I would get six, not one or two. And I have found the best place to put them is where you won't step on them, but near a baseboard or along a ledge. Always where a surface meets a wall. And that includes inside cabinets, unless they are built tight enough an ant can't get in them.
just got back from Ace hardware In stead of getting the old fashion kind I splurged on the ones that come 2 in a pack and are called mouse glue. Now we will see if the money was worth it. At least I don't have to worry about getting my finger caught in one. Thanks for the advise, just so Chester our less than high IQ cat doesn't decide they are a play thing like he does with flower arrangements, clothes in the closet and grasshoppers just for starters.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just got back from Ace hardware In stead of getting the old fashion kind I splurged on the ones that come 2 in a pack and are called mouse glue. Now we will see if the money was worth it. At least I don't have to worry about getting my finger caught in one. Thanks for the advise, just so Chester our less than high IQ cat doesn't decide they are a play thing like he does with flower arrangements, clothes in the closet and grasshoppers just for starters.
I hadn't thought about the cat.
You need to put them where the cat can't get into them.

The only way I know of to get a cat out of one: shears.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:54 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,693,309 times
A set of six black plastic rat traps go for $ 26 on Amazon. Well worth the price.

The best part is they are easy to set and I never had an accident while using them. Reusable.

The bad part is they are not heavy and a rat can carry it away if it gets caught only on a part of their legs. I like to tie two traps together with a wire or tie one to a pipe or something heavy in the garage.
Plastic zip ties work well for that.

When they don't get killed I use a wise grip or hammer to finish the job.

When we lived in Orange County the average was 2 rats a month. Here in Paradise we only caught 2 in three years. I think they dislike our Airedale.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,620,898 times
Nita, Just the fact that you have a cat should've kept the mice away, whether he is killing them or not so this is surprising. Does the cat never go outside? If not, maybe get an outdoor cat. I have a barn cat that keeps all the mice away. He even kills the moles. The only time he comes inside in on cold winter nights.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:38 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,356,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Nita, Just the fact that you have a cat should've kept the mice away, whether he is killing them or not so this is surprising. Does the cat never go outside? If not, maybe get an outdoor cat. I have a barn cat that keeps all the mice away. He even kills the moles. The only time he comes inside in on cold winter nights.
I had to laugh when I read this, it was going to be my answer to the problem also. when I was a kid, we would have inside and outside cats for pest control. The last few decades, I have always had friends in the pest control business, so we either bartered or got a friendly discount. I can’t remember the last time I saw a mouse inside. Now, mosquitoes are a constant battle in southeast ark. Luckily, I can leave the delta and escape them on occasion.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Many cities and towns no longer allow outside cats, unless you have a fence they can't get past (yeah, right), and then they probably wouldn't allow the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas