Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 04:45 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,170 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job that I might be moving to Jonesboro for. We'll be moving from Louisville and am curious what the city is like.

Can I get a good pour of bourbon in town? Yelp was no help. Decent selection at liquor stores?

Where is the "nice" area of town with newer construction homes and amenities?

Do you always use MEM as your airport? If not, where and why? I'm not a big fan of the prop plane idea out of the local airport that I read about. Air Choice One?

What are good day trip activities nearby? My wife and I love to hike and visit small towns that have some history and charm.

What areas should I avoid? I know about West Memphis, but are there areas of Jonesboro and surrounding areas to avoid, and why?

How friendly are the people in the region? I am used to Louisville, where strangers talk to strangers like they have been long lost friends, and my wife isn't looking forward to leaving that.

What else should I know about your fair city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 11:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Jonesboro is, I think, in a dry county. While there are private clubs (you can usually buy a membership for less than $10, and they usually include a free drink), you'll have to drive over to a wet county to find a liquor store.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:42 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Jonesboro is, I think, in a dry county. While there are private clubs (you can usually buy a membership for less than $10, and they usually include a free drink), you'll have to drive over to a wet county to find a liquor store.
Eesh, just confirmed what you said as accurate. Strike one. What else?

Old 03-12-2018, 05:49 AM

827 posts, read 658,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I have a potential job that I might be moving to Jonesboro for. We'll be moving from Louisville and am curious what the city is like.

Can I get a good pour of bourbon in town? Yelp was no help. Decent selection at liquor stores?

Where is the "nice" area of town with newer construction homes and amenities?

Do you always use MEM as your airport? If not, where and why? I'm not a big fan of the prop plane idea out of the local airport that I read about. Air Choice One?

What are good day trip activities nearby? My wife and I love to hike and visit small towns that have some history and charm.

What areas should I avoid? I know about West Memphis, but are there areas of Jonesboro and surrounding areas to avoid, and why?

How friendly are the people in the region? I am used to Louisville, where strangers talk to strangers like they have been long lost friends, and my wife isn't looking forward to leaving that.

What else should I know about your fair city?
I think maybe you are asking for to much, But still better than Louisville. There are liquor stores not far away once you get out of the city.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:23 AM

490 posts, read 1,265,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Eesh, just confirmed what you said as accurate. Strike one. What else?
Mosquitos galore as Jonesboro is pretty much surrounded by rice fields.

When I was going to college there the two places to get alcohol were Trumann and Paragould, both about 30 miles away.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 PM

346 posts, read 646,695 times
There is a beer and wine store (maybe no liquor?) on highway 63 south of town, past Bono, as a tiny section of a wet county (Greene) extends across the road between Craighead (Jonesboro's County) and Lawrence County, another dry county to the south - literally just enough land to place a liquor store on!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
As for dry city or county, many of us in AR have learned to live with this. First of all each election more cities and counties go wet and while you wait for that to happen you find a near by location to buy your booze. We lived here in Benton County for 5 years before it went wet. We just ventured the few miles to Mo and bought out supply or down to Wash county. When we lived for 13 years in a town north of Dallas we did the same.Our town was dry but the next one over was not. After we left the town we had lived in became wet.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:00 AM

827 posts, read 658,671 times
These liquor laws are so lame what good does it do? Takes tax money and businesses out if Arkansas or to the next county. These little cry babies are not going to stop people from buying a 6 pack or a bottle. Just burns up gas and because of the drive promotes more drinking and driving.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
These liquor laws are so lame what good does it do? Takes tax money and businesses out if Arkansas or to the next county. These little cry babies are not going to stop people from buying a 6 pack or a bottle. Just burns up gas and because of the drive promotes more drinking and driving.
that was my argument when we lived in Lewisville, TX. In our case it was just as close to go to the next city over to buy our liquor. Of course the huge Baptist church in town made sure we didn't buy any naughty stuff in our town. Finally the forward thinking people won out and realized how much tax revenue was being lost.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:26 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
Same thing happened to us when we lived in Dodge City, KS. Sunday was dry day there so we traveled over to the next little Kansas town over - I think it was about 19 miles away to buy our beer. Oh well. Weird, old laws, but, if the writers had a reason of some sort that they thought was Biblical - I'm not gonna put it down (to an excess, any way). It really doesn't stop anything from happening, but you can't fight City Hall, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas