U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:11 PM

68,666 posts, read 78,655,592 times

Advertisements

Meant to post this last week. Saturday we were in Aldi's in Rogers. The manager and one of the check out clerks verified ground has been broken for the new store. It is due to open in October. Let's keep our fingers. crossed.

Also while shopping we went to Fresh Market, if they can be so busy, please tell me why Trader Joe's can't seem to manage to get a store here. I love Fresh market but it is so much more expensive than Trader Joe's. Maybe some people can afford to shop at Fresh Market all the time, I am not one of them, though it appears many others are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 PM

933 posts, read 527,034 times
Yep they are under construction on Aldi's.

I hear you about Fresh Market. There is another store on Walnut just east of the freeway that is super expensive. Went in one day and a can of refried beans was over $3 . Went to WM neighborhood market and it was .89

Old 06-15-2018, 09:25 PM
sub

476 posts, read 242,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Meant to post this last week. Saturday we were in Aldi's in Rogers. The manager and one of the check out clerks verified ground has been broken for the new store. It is due to open in October. Let's keep our fingers. crossed.

Also while shopping we went to Fresh Market, if they can be so busy, please tell me why Trader Joe's can't seem to manage to get a store here. I love Fresh market but it is so much more expensive than Trader Joe's. Maybe some people can afford to shop at Fresh Market all the time, I am not one of them, though it appears many others are.
Trader Joe's is kind of awesome.
We're planning on moving soon, and while proximity to Trader Joe's isn't a driving factor of where we go, we do look forward to having reasonable access to one again, even if it's just an occasional Saturday trip. That, and an Ikea.
Not big on shopping and stuff, but those... are good.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:34 AM

2,154 posts, read 7,437,638 times
Aldi USA and Trader Joe's are owned by the same corporate parent (Aldi in Germany). Aldi north division owns Trader Joes, and Aldi south division owns Aldi USA stores. In some places in the US you will find Aldi and Trader Joes in the same area, but those are usually places where TJ arrived first.

The nearest TJ to NW Ark are in Tulsa, KC and St Louis. NWA is fairly small population and might be too far from an existing TJ distribution center.

Aldi on the other hand has a big existing store footprint in MO, OK, TX, KS. Aldi is in an all-out battle to take a bigger share of the US grocery business, and that is part of the reason they are building some a new store on Walmart's front door in NW Ark.

I visited your area last year in November and liked a lot things about it. The grocery store selection looked pretty good too. Do the stores keep a good supply of fresh veggies throughout year? I am spoiled living in AZ because the fresh veggie selection is very good year round.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Trader Joe's is kind of awesome.
We're planning on moving soon, and while proximity to Trader Joe's isn't a driving factor of where we go, we do look forward to having reasonable access to one again, even if it's just an occasional Saturday trip. That, and an Ikea.
Not big on shopping and stuff, but those... are good.
We have been lucky enough to have a Trader Joe's near us for years until we moved here. I was raised in Pasadena Ca and used to shop at the original one before the German family purchased it. Of course I would never move based on a store, but boy do I miss them. Whenever we go anywhere near one, Vegas, Orlando, Texas etc we always stop and buy a few items.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Aldi USA and Trader Joe's are owned by the same corporate parent (Aldi in Germany). Aldi north division owns Trader Joes, and Aldi south division owns Aldi USA stores. In some places in the US you will find Aldi and Trader Joes in the same area, but those are usually places where TJ arrived first.

The nearest TJ to NW Ark are in Tulsa, KC and St Louis. NWA is fairly small population and might be too far from an existing TJ distribution center.

Aldi on the other hand has a big existing store footprint in MO, OK, TX, KS. Aldi is in an all-out battle to take a bigger share of the US grocery business, and that is part of the reason they are building some a new store on Walmart's front door in NW Ark.

I visited your area last year in November and liked a lot things about it. The grocery store selection looked pretty good too. Do the stores keep a good supply of fresh veggies throughout year? I am spoiled living in AZ because the fresh veggie selection is very good year round.
There was a time when you did not see the 2 stores near each other but those days are long gone. Though they are owned by the same family the 2 brothers have now passed away. You may be right about the breakdown. The one thing to remember though is: Trader Joe's is a specialty grocery store with a huge wine selection and other alcohol as well. Aldi's is a discount grocery store, with a very small wine selection if any. There are a few Trader Joe's that do not sell alcohol but very few. Though both stores are great places for shopping, they are totally different and in many cases, draw from totally different demographic groups. By the way, Aldi's has been in NWA for way over a decade.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:39 AM

19,238 posts, read 16,726,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Yep they are under construction on Aldi's.

I hear you about Fresh Market. There is another store on Walnut just east of the freeway that is super expensive. Went in one day and a can of refried beans was over $3 . Went to WM neighborhood market and it was .89
The Fresh Market having higher prices is typical for a specialty gourmet grocery store. Walmart Neighborhood Market supermarkets and Walmart Supercenter hypermarkets have lower prices.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:32 PM

12 posts, read 3,692 times
Not to highjack the thread, but just wait until Lidl opens a store in your area. I used to shop at Aldi all the time, until Lidl opened. I've only been back once since then. Newer, nicer, brighter, similar pricing, more selection. They are a German company starting on the east coast (Virginia) and heading west.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
Not to highjack the thread, but just wait until Lidl opens a store in your area. I used to shop at Aldi all the time, until Lidl opened. I've only been back once since then. Newer, nicer, brighter, similar pricing, more selection. They are a German company starting on the east coast (Virginia) and heading west.
in deed they are moving west but it could be years before they come to AR, I do think the trend toward grocery stores that offer no frills or those who feature specialty items are the thing most of us, especially the younger trendy group are looking for. The days of the massive, nationwide grocery stores, like the massive dept stores are a thing of the past.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:00 AM

1,755 posts, read 1,063,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesLarkin View Post
Trader Joes and Aldi are the same company, as you know
....... but not the same store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or