Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 5,909 times

Advertisements

Our family is currently looking into moving to Arkansas (not sure what area) and we have a lot of questions. We have never been to the state and are looking for some local feedback as part of our research.
Looking for an area that has a lower cost of living, a small friendly community that is a good place for our teenager who is homeschooled as well as for our 22 yr old daughter. She works in the foodservice industry and enjoys going out to live music and dancing. So someplace that has employment opportunities in this area as well as things for teens and young adults to do.

We love nature and prefer to live in a rural area.
I would love to hear how people living here like it or don't ( pros and Cons)

Thank you in advance

Traci
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 08:23 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,623,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskamom68 View Post
Our family is currently looking into moving to Arkansas (not sure what area) and we have a lot of questions. We have never been to the state and are looking for some local feedback as part of our research.
Looking for an area that has a lower cost of living, a small friendly community that is a good place for our teenager who is homeschooled as well as for our 22 yr old daughter. She works in the foodservice industry and enjoys going out to live music and dancing. So someplace that has employment opportunities in this area as well as things for teens and young adults to do.

We love nature and prefer to live in a rural area.
I would love to hear how people living here like it or don't ( pros and Cons)

Thank you in advance

Traci

What exactly are you calling a rural area because Arkansas has some VERY rural areas, but that contradicts the employment opportunities, live music & dancing, etc. If you are willing to have a longer commute maybe. Usually living in a rural area, small community, is going to mean longer commutes to anything you've mentioned.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 5,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
What exactly are you calling a rural area because Arkansas has some VERY rural areas, but that contradicts the employment opportunities, live music & dancing, etc. If you are willing to have a longer commute maybe. Usually living in a rural area, small community, is going to mean longer commutes to anything you've mentioned.
We currently like off-grid in the woods about 30 minutes drive from Talkeetna AK which is a small community with a big heart and lost of fun things to do. It's home to the number one dive bar in the state (great live music, dancing and other events) It is a tourist town and so there are numerous restaurants. So hoping to like in a similar setting with things to do not too far away OR even a smaller town where we could live in the county. I love trees And am not a fan of large cities. Hope that helps

Also, an area that has cooler temperatures. Don't want to live in the hottest part of the state

Last edited by Alaskamom68; 06-22-2019 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 06-23-2019, 09:00 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,679,889 times
I’m not sure Arkansas is what you’re looking for if you expect it to be anything like what you’re used to.
It’s not that it wouldn’t work, but from the sound of things, some of your expectations wouldn’t be met.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:54 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,623,238 times
Quote:
We currently like off-grid in the woods about 30 minutes drive from Talkeetna AK which is a small community with a big heart and lost of fun things to do. It's home to the number one dive bar in the state (great live music, dancing and other events) It is a tourist town and so there are numerous restaurants. So hoping to like in a similar setting with things to do not too far away OR even a smaller town where we could live in the county. I love trees And am not a fan of large cities. Hope that helps

Also, an area that has cooler temperatures. Don't want to live in the hottest part of the state

We have rural areas that will offer things to do like kayaking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, & hunting and you can be within an hours drive to "town" (which may not be a very big town) but you'll have a hard time finding yourself near an area with live music and dancing (bars) without being near the more urban areas. Employment opportunities can also pose a challenge when living more rural. I live 30 minutes from Jasper which has a population of about 460, is a touristy town in the higher part of the ozarks (cooler) and has cafes that has some live music on weekends. It's also near the Buffalo river for kayaking and canoing, lots of hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. but lacks some employment opportunities due to being sparsely populated and it can take an hour to get to Harrison which is our nearest town.

Maybe Mountain Home or Mountain View area would be a place to look at also. Larger than Jasper but still rural and surrounded by rural areas.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:33 PM

26,504 posts, read 36,360,007 times
Quote:

I know a couple from Trapper Creek who moved to Arkansas and were back within six months.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:33 PM

1,107 posts, read 430,442 times
Quote:

While Northern Arkansas will have winters, snow and ice, they wont last long and I promise you the summers are going to be sweltering. I am right on the line between Missouri and Arkansas and even though it is just June, we have already seen the 90's with high humidity. That's just an indicator or what is to come, not the final product. Be prepared for July/August to bring in some 100+ temps. Also remember you will be in an area that produces hailstorms, flooding rains and occasional tornados. The Midwest weather is a mixed bag of good and bad, but the area has many perks. I love this area, but just be warned the weather can be overwhelming for folks not used to the heat and humidity.

You like off grid? Well we have tons of rural areas where you can be 15-20 miles out of town and almost invisible to the world. We have beautiful clean lakes, acres of forest land, good farm produce, excellent local ranch beef and pork, abundant poultry supply and very friendly folks. Also on the plus side, rural Arkansas while not immune to crime is pretty safe from violent and property crime compared to the more metro states.

Let us know if you make the move, and what you think of the Midwest.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:49 PM

69 posts, read 50,034 times
There are so many places in Arkansas you might like. Small towns along or near interstate 40 between Fort Smith and Russellville such as Alma, Ozark. Altus, Clarksville, Lamar and London may interest you. The area around Hot Springs is another possibility. Google each town to see what they offer.

We live on 25 acres just a mile from the city limits.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:21 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,551,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I know a couple from Trapper Creek who moved to Arkansas and were back within six months.
Yep. I've heard that N. Minnesota and N. Michigan are much better fits for previous Alaska residents who are seeking a lower cost of living.

My recommendation would be outside of Duluth, MN to the OP. The teens will find what they want in Duluth.

A move to Arkansas will be culture shock on many, many levels.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:01 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,679,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yep. I've heard that N. Minnesota and N. Michigan are much better fits for previous Alaska residents who are seeking a lower cost of living.

My recommendation would be outside of Duluth, MN to the OP. The teens will find what they want in Duluth.

A move to Arkansas will be culture shock on many, many levels.
Live music, dancing, and dive bars aren’t really a rural Arkansas thing. Not saying it doesn’t exist anywhere, but it won’t necessarily be easy to find.
The key here is adaptation.
Alaska may have a few similarities with Arkansas, but we’re talking about the rural south here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas