U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 08:32 AM

13 posts, read 4,324 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
Like a lot of others, we are making retirement plans, hoping to exit the rat race. We currently reside in Fredericksburg VA, which has become the bedroom destination of Fairfax VA, and Washington DC.
I've been checking out northern AR on multiple real estate sites and it seems the majority of homes listed are much older, and needing a lot of updates. We would like a little bit of property, 2-5 acres perhaps. We have seen newer homes offered, but they tend to be on 1/4 ac lots. Anyways.......
We are thinking of buying a lot and and having a modular home brought in and assembled. I've personally built an addition on one of our past homes that doubled the square footage, had a builder build another home, and our current 3500 sq ft home was build by a lot of our own sweat equity, and subcontractors. I was the general contractor on that one. Never will do that again.
We've heard that the modulators go up much quicker than stick built and the quality can be better.
Any thoughts? Anyone been there, done that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:48 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,693,098 times
Quality "can" be better.....or not, depends on the builder. Modulars are built in a factory, so yes the "on site" time would appear to be quicker than a stick built home, but what is the time frame from design approval/contract signing to move in ?
There is foundation to get ready, utilities to be brought to the site, infrastructure (heat/cool/water/power) to hook up. Any builder of modulars should be able to give you a time line. Here is one in my town.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-27-2018, 11:19 AM

22 posts, read 12,112 times
Nodular homes have come a long long way even in the last 10 years...quality is quite good in 2018. Just check with the local county codes ! Some areas may require using special Simpsons for example.

But what do I know, I'm twisted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or