U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 11:06 AM

10,546 posts, read 7,493,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I've seen the pictures of the inside of the Colonial Pancake House and it looks so homey! Is the food good? And do they serve breakfast items all day?
We prefer it to the big Pancake House. Service is super-friendly and the food is quite good. They're only open until about 1-2PM, I think, and last time I was there, they did serve breakfast up until closing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Actually, there's probably never been a safer time to ride them on the heels of that tragedy. You think they aren't going to take every precaution after that? Plus, I'm sure a whole new set of regulations will be in place for those, if they aren't already. .
Having visited Hot Springs several times annually for ~some 35+ years ~ now, here's my take: track & follow the duck boats from downtown, see how long it takes them to ride from downtown to the lake. Forever. Then watch them as they wobble into the lake and bobble about on the waves.
Then remember when 13 people were killed when they bobbled about on the waves. Then take your children and old folks and enjoy the trip, while you're sure the whole new set of regulations will protect you.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:54 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,236,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Having visited Hot Springs several times annually for ~some 35+ years ~ now, here's my take: track & follow the duck boats from downtown, see how long it takes them to ride from downtown to the lake. Forever. Then watch them as they wobble into the lake and bobble about on the waves.
Then remember when 13 people were killed when they bobbled about on the waves. Then take your children and old folks and enjoy the trip, while you're sure the whole new set of regulations will protect you.
Those people died because they didnít pay attention to posted storm warnings and the boat operators ignored said warnings for profit. It was a deadly combination of greed mixed with ignorance. All parties involved bear some measure of responsibility for that tragedy.

I am no mariner or duck boat advocate, but even I know that awareness and common sense will keep you safely away from most situations such as that one.

And if it still bothers you to that degree.....then DONíT GO.

Problem solved.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:17 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
So much to choose from for what you all like!

There are no motel rooms that are "not too expensive" that are worth staying in. (Others will probably disagree with me, but my budget is pretty tight!) If you can get a rental in Hot Springs Village and don't mind the 20-minute drive into town, do that. Much more bang for your buck. Look here: https://www.vrbo.com/4763272ha I have personally stayed in the condo right next to this one and it is a beautiful, quiet, clean complex. Not sure of your dates, though. Look around on VRBO if this one doesn't suit you. If you are talking about THIS weekend, this house is available: https://www.vrbo.com/293289

The Mid-America Science Museum will be a hit with kids and adults alike. Probably too hot for Garvan Woodland Gardens, but remember it for future visits. It has a great children's section. As far as animal farms, there is the Alligator Farm. The aquarium is nice if you like such things...it's downtown, and I think the Alligator Farm is downtown also, or near it. Go to the hot springs across from the Arlington and let them feel the hot water...there are hiking paths up the mountain behind them. My kids always liked the Hot Springs Mountain Tower.

You say you like cruises...I'm assuming the Ducks are still running. You can google that. Water activities -- there are water toy rentals and swim beaches galore, you'll just have to google that too.

Too much to do for 2 nights! lol I've been there, done that.

I agree with the above..

add mc Clards or stubbys BBQ for food.. best in town and they are locally own and operated.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:08 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
We prefer it to the big Pancake House. Service is super-friendly and the food is quite good. They're only open until about 1-2PM, I think, and last time I was there, they did serve breakfast up until closing.

Ok, so only good for breakfast or brunch. Got it! (will probably forget it! lol)

Old 08-14-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Those people died because they didn’t pay attention to posted storm warnings and the boat operators ignored said warnings for profit. It was a deadly combination of greed mixed with ignorance. All parties involved bear some measure of responsibility for that tragedy.
This was the Hot Springs tragedy, not the one in Branson. Weather was fine, no storm or storm warnings of any sort. The duck boat started taking on water from the rear and sank very quickly, within just a few minutes. Later reports indicated it was some sort of drive shaft failure or malfunction. 13 people died.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:14 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,236,294 times
Quote:
This was the Hot Springs tragedy, not the one in Branson. Weather was fine, no storm or storm warnings of any sort. The duck boat started taking on water from the rear and sank very quickly, within just a few minutes. Later reports indicated it was some sort of drive shaft failure or malfunction. 13 people died.

So I get it, you're not a duck boat fan. I have no dog in that particular fight. Never been on them, no desire to go on them. If their actual safety record was as bad as you seem to be indicating I highly doubt they would be allowed to operate. There have been at least 2 major incidents that we've mentioned in here.....do we know if their have been others versus how long these things have been commercially used?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or