U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 24,370 times

Advertisements

We are total 6 people (Hubby/Wife, 2 kids 7 and 11, and parents early 60s) driving to Hot Springs AR for 2 nights. Need help with following:

- Where to get hotel to stay within few mile distance to all attractions? Not too expensive of course

- What are absolute must do spots for 2 night stays? we are a family that likes water activities, small hikes, arcades, boat or cruises and animal farms etc. I am having tough time setting up itinerary (we would be reaching Hot Springs around noon on Saturday and would be staying Saturday night and sunday night in AR). Major help needed so all suggestions welcome.

- Any good lunch and dinner spots that are not too expensive?

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 12:29 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
So much to choose from for what you all like!

There are no motel rooms that are "not too expensive" that are worth staying in. (Others will probably disagree with me, but my budget is pretty tight!) If you can get a rental in Hot Springs Village and don't mind the 20-minute drive into town, do that. Much more bang for your buck. Look here: https://www.vrbo.com/4763272ha I have personally stayed in the condo right next to this one and it is a beautiful, quiet, clean complex. Not sure of your dates, though. Look around on VRBO if this one doesn't suit you. If you are talking about THIS weekend, this house is available: https://www.vrbo.com/293289

The Mid-America Science Museum will be a hit with kids and adults alike. Probably too hot for Garvan Woodland Gardens, but remember it for future visits. It has a great children's section. As far as animal farms, there is the Alligator Farm. The aquarium is nice if you like such things...it's downtown, and I think the Alligator Farm is downtown also, or near it. Go to the hot springs across from the Arlington and let them feel the hot water...there are hiking paths up the mountain behind them. My kids always liked the Hot Springs Mountain Tower.

You say you like cruises...I'm assuming the Ducks are still running. You can google that. Water activities -- there are water toy rentals and swim beaches galore, you'll just have to google that too.

Too much to do for 2 nights! lol I've been there, done that.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 PM

265 posts, read 270,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perini1975 View Post
We are total 6 people (Hubby/Wife, 2 kids 7 and 11, and parents early 60s) driving to Hot Springs AR for 2 nights. Need help with following:

- Where to get hotel to stay within few mile distance to all attractions? Not too expensive of course

- What are absolute must do spots for 2 night stays? we are a family that likes water activities, small hikes, arcades, boat or cruises and animal farms etc. I am having tough time setting up itinerary (we would be reaching Hot Springs around noon on Saturday and would be staying Saturday night and sunday night in AR). Major help needed so all suggestions welcome.

- Any good lunch and dinner spots that are not too expensive?

Thanks much.
The Candelwood Suites is probably the best hotel for the money in town. It’s on Central, just north of the bypass, convenient to everything. Also check with the Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites. Most of the stuff you’ll want to see and do are somewhere along Central Ave (Hwy 7). The Staybride Suites or the Embassy Suites are probably the nicest hotels in town.

Hikes, for a short hike start downtown at the Arlington Hotel. Across the street is a small pool of HOT spring water. Stick your hand in it for a few seconds. Behind the spring is a trail that leads up to the Mountain Tower (you can also drive up there). It’s a little pricey but the views on a clear day are incredible. They have worked in a lot of area history.

You can also hike up west mountain, or drive it. I would recommend that you drive up there at sunset one evening.

You’ll want to visit downtown, all sorts of little shops and things down there. Craft breweries are becoming a big thing downtown.

We haven’t done it yet, but the Belle Of Hot Springs is a riverboat style dinner cruise boat on Lake Hamilton.

The Alligator Farm is just west of downtown, since you mentioned animal farms. You might also take the drive over to Lake Catherine state park. You can hike to the he waterfall (it’s too dry right now, but it has to rain sometime) and there is horseback riding and a swimming beach there.

Someone mentioned the Village. If you decide to come up here (I live in the Village) you can rent a kayak or pontoon boat at Lake Balboa or Lake Desoto, and there is a large swimming beach on Lake Balboa.

For the kids there are 2 or 3 go kart tracks and miniature golf places in town. And the mid America science center.

For restaurants, I have a few favorites.

#1 don’t miss is Steinhaus Keller, an authentic German Restaurant downtown. Get the German Explorer platter.

Fisherman’s wharf is very good. Sit outside by the lake.

Phil’s Hometown Cafe is across Central from the race track. Excellent home cookin.

Stubbys BBQ is just south of there.

If you decide to have a pizza in the hotel room, call Rocky’s Corner and have them deliver. Fantastic deep dish Chicago style pizza.

One of the things people always recommend is breakfast at the Pancake House, it’s downtown on Central. Almost always packed. If it’s too crowded, try Colonial Pancake across the street.

The best steaks in town are at the Back Porch Grill, a bit spendy, we only go for special occasions.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:23 AM

365 posts, read 890,722 times
After what happened at Table Rock Wednesday, GOD REST THEIR SOULS, I think I would stay away from riding the ducks right now.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:18 AM

I forgot to mention McClard's BBQ...it's been mentioned in Southern Living Magazine as one of the best BBQ places in the South. I've never been there, though. 505 Albert Pike Rd.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
One of the things people always recommend is breakfast at the Pancake House, itís downtown on Central. Almost always packed. If itís too crowded, try Colonial Pancake across the street.

I've seen the pictures of the inside of the Colonial Pancake House and it looks so homey! Is the food good? And do they serve breakfast items all day?

Old 07-21-2018, 09:52 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
After what happened at Table Rock Wednesday, GOD REST THEIR SOULS, I think I would stay away from riding the ducks right now.
I have to disagree. This is like saying there was a accident on a roller coaster so no one should ever get on one again or don't drive a car cause there were 3 fatal accidents on 412 yesterday.

I would put the Duck at the top of the list to be truthful.
We have done duck trips before, and yes, in Hot Springs and had a wonderful time. Not a long ride but certainly is fun.

OP, wherever you stay try and make sure it is near the downtown area. AS for water sports, there are so many activities: now for hiking, yes, lots there as well but this time of the year it can be miserably hot.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:49 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,236,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
Actually, there's probably never been a safer time to ride them on the heels of that tragedy. You think they aren't going to take every precaution after that? Plus, I'm sure a whole new set of regulations will be in place for those, if they aren't already.

But if you're still uptight about it, here's a clue: Don't go boating when the weather's supposed to be bad. There were forecasts and warnings out for those storms in Missouri well before the accident occurred, and apparently no one involved cared enough to take note of and/or heed them. This is in the exact same mold as what I was talking about when those people had their vehicle flipped in the Mountainburg tornado a few months back. Forecasts and warnings were also issued that day well in advance. Weather services exist for a reason and it's not just so all of us can complain whenever they get it wrong.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:27 AM

9,665 posts, read 7,629,801 times
It's probably too hot to enjoy digging for the famous quartz crystals found around Hot Springs, unless you go early in the morning on a cloudy day, but there are many rock shops which offer local crystals and other beautiful natural treasures for sale, some at remarkably reasonable prices (while others can dig a hole in your pocket).

If you do go crystal-hunting, the Ron Coleman Mine in Jessieville, about 15 miles north of Hot Springs (close to Hot Springs Village) is very family-friendly and offers additional attractions: army truck tours of the open-pit mine and processing rooms, a museum room, and a zip line over the 250 foot-deep mine. There's also a gift shop with beautiful rocks and minerals, clean restrooms, and an air-conditioned break room with drinks and snacks.

Visitors pay a flat fee and can keep all they find in the piles of crystal-bearing clay brought up from the mine to a level area next to the parking lot (you do not dig in the mine itself). Simple digging tools plus something to kneel or sit on to avoid the staining clay, old comfortable and cool clothes, and lots of water are recommended.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:48 AM

10,546 posts, read 7,493,026 times
Quote:
What are absolute must do spots for 2 night stays? we are a family that likes water activities, small hikes, arcades, boat or cruises and animal farms etc. I am having tough time setting up itinerary (we would be reaching Hot Springs around noon on Saturday and would be staying Saturday night and sunday night in AR). Major help needed so all suggestions welcome.
1.Bathhouse row & tour Fordyce Bathhouse, which doubles as the National Park headquarters.
2. Drive up Hot Springs Mountain and go to the top of the Tower. Take a picnic lunch (we like to pick up BBQ takeout from Stubby's) and eat at one of the picnic tables near the overlook.
3. Alligator Farm & Petting Zoo on Whittington
All of these are in town.
4. Gulpha Gorge Campground: picnic, wade & splash in the water, short hike. It's just a few minutes from downtown and maintained nicely by the National Park Svc.

For no more time than you have, I'd skip the boat cruises, they take quite awhile. I'd also skip the MidAmerica Museum because altho it's nice, it's the same thing you find all over the US. Also don't be tempted by the downtown Aquarium, it's a bust.
If you want to do something unique to Hot Springs for the kids, take them to the Gangster Museum downtown across from Bathhouse Row. Not a lot there but kids usually get a kick out of it.

Take some empty bottles to fill from the many Hot Springs fountain dispensaries. The water is delicious, even while hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or