U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2006, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,322 times

Advertisements

May be moving to the Memphis area and I have heard good things about Marion Arkansas. We have three children and are also looking at their school options....public, private or homeschool. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 05:57 PM

27 posts, read 115,191 times
Default Marion, AR

Anyone live in Marion. How do you like it. Do you think it will continue to grow maybe being bigger than Wst Memphis?

Old 01-07-2007, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 57,311 times
Having lived here for 15 years, I can tell you that Marion is a great community to live in and raise a family in. The school system is great, the people are great and the community is growing. If Toyota announces that it is locating in Marion, the growth will be phenominal. It is convenient to Memphis and all that it has to offer without the high crime rate of Memphis. Downtown/Midtown Memphis are very diverse, lots of things to do, etc. I think you'd love living in Marion.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,957 times
Default Marion

I would just like to say that Marion, Ar. is a great little town. I have lived here for 16 yrs. and love it. It does not smell like West Memphis and the crime rate is low.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,898,310 times
I don't live in Marion, but it appears to be a very well kept and close community - it's actually a favorite Arkansas town for me. We always hope someone like Toyota will open. One of the manuf., I think Toyota, opened just outside Jackson, Mississippi - as Girlie mentioned, that area just exploded with new growth. It's a delta town to me, and I'm a delta lover. I think you would be very, very pleased with the small town feel...good luck with your move!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM

61 posts, read 244,939 times
Post Marion

I have been teaching martial arts in Marion for several months now and have found the people of the area really nice people. I hear wonderful things about their schools. I am in the process of trying to work for the school system. The crime is low, and yet so close to Memphis, if you need the big city for anything.

There are several school that I am aware of, West Memphis has one, and Marion has another. There are others, I am sure, but these two are the only ones that are public I am aware of.

There is a private school in West Memphis affiliated with the Church of Christ which seems to be very successful. They work in conjunction with Midsouth Community College where seniors can earn credit taking courses there, that also go toward their high school credits.

There are a few other private schools within the area, most affilated with churches. I wish I could find the ones I had on my other computer. I found them by going to google.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:35 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,023,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I don't live in Marion, but it appears to be a very well kept and close community - it's actually a favorite Arkansas town for me. We always hope someone like Toyota will open. One of the manuf., I think Toyota, opened just outside Jackson, Mississippi - as Girlie mentioned, that area just exploded with new growth. It's a delta town to me, and I'm a delta lover. I think you would be very, very pleased with the small town feel...good luck with your move!
Nissan opened near Jackson, MS; Toyota just announced its expansion into Tupelo, MS.

I'm curious, what is the development strategy/ city planning attitude in Marion? I think if they pursued a smart urban planning strategy (a town core with zero-setback developments) instead of the standard southern suburban sprawl, they could create a distinct identity, certainly in the extended metro Memphis area, that would set itself apart from the Germantowns, Colliervilles, Hernandos, etc. I don't know if anyone's familiar with Kirkwood, MO (a suburb of St. Louis), but Marion is in the right place and time in its history to define a growth and identity unique in the region, similar to Kirkwood has achieved in the greater StL area. I would not mind in the least if Marion becamse THE place to go for young families and young professionals looking for a walkability and convenience similar to Midtown and downtown Memphis, in a small-town setting. Currently, that niche is void in the region; Marion (or another up-and-coming community) could fill that vacancy.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,544,813 times
Marion doesn't have much of a planning department. That's a problem in most Arkansas towns, actually. I wouldn't expect any innovative new urbanist type developments in Marion anytime soon.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 PM

15 posts, read 63,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetc69 View Post
May be moving to the Memphis area and I have heard good things about Marion Arkansas. We have three children and are also looking at their school options....public, private or homeschool. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
hey i live in jonesboro, arkansas
it's only 1 hour away from memphis
it has around 70,000 people living there
and for great school districts there are 2 here
nettleton and valley view
nettleton is 4th best in state in academics(personally, my favorite)
valley view is 1st best in the state academically(not good in sports)
jonesboro also has private schools
one of them being ridgefield.
it's a christian private school
jonesboro also got a new mall
the mall at turtle creek
you can read all about it at themallatturtlecreek.com
it's 750,000 sq. ft.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetc69 View Post
Marion is NOT the Memphis area. Thats across the bridge to Tennessee. The Memphis area has gotten bad as far as crime rates. I moved to Paragould AR from the Memphis Tn area 5 years ago. Its much quiter here, not to mention cheaper. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or