U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 02:53 PM

2,092 posts, read 618,018 times

Advertisements

My experience was that there were many homes that sat on the listings for months or years, but those aren't the ones you want, unless you want a fixer upper.

I watched the listings for two years before moving up here, and a couple of the ones that I saw in the listings looked promising, until I went and looked at them in person. They were both listed after the owners had passed, but the owners had been in denial that they were going to pass, despite long illnesses. Not sure about one of them, but the other was in his 80's and had moved into town for his last two years, to be closer to his doctors and hospital. The houses sat empty and without utilities for two years, and the humidity inside them destroyed their insides.

I got in contact with a Realtor, and he patiently showed me a couple houses, but then, after some questioning, he took me to one that wasn't even on the market yet. The couple that lived there were house hunting, and had just found what they wanted. Of course, the realtor made out like a bandit, not having to list the house and show it, or split his commission with another realtor, but the house fit what we were looking for, better than any others I had found.

All of this to say that most of those that have been on the market for a while are ones you can ignore. The one you want probably isn't on the market, yet. And when we get closer to going to meet our maker, it is wise to not be in denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 1,377 times
Hi, new to the Forums, and this one caught my eye. I was wondering the nuts and bolts of living around Bull Shoals and commuting to work to Mt. Home? I take it mostly dirt/gravel roads to the more secluded properties?

Also, I take it if we wanted a fixer upper, they would already be on the power grid with a well? If we built, we would have to worry about the grid and a well-that's why I'm thinking fixer upper. We are thinking about 100-150k for our house. What are we looking at getting? We just want a small cabin/house on maybe a few acres.

My wife does work in in the medical field, as a nurse, and I'm getting close to 62 and will take early retirement and maybe do some PT work.

Thanks for your replies and any info will be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM

Houses in this area will usually be on the grid, unless you look for something that isn't.

Wells, or some sort of community water is the rule, if the house is on the grid.

Remote roads in Baxter County tend to be paved. Mostly.
Remote roads in Marion County tend to not be paved.

If you get a fixer upper, plan to spend half your money on fixing it up.

If you have been in AZ for a while, you may be a bit shocked at the humidity here,
I am sure you remember that, but it is more humid in Bull Shoals than Bella Vista.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Houses in this area will usually be on the grid, unless you look for something that isn't.

Wells, or some sort of community water is the rule, if the house is on the grid.

Remote roads in Baxter County tend to be paved. Mostly.
Remote roads in Marion County tend to not be paved.

If you get a fixer upper, plan to spend half your money on fixing it up.

If you have been in AZ for a while, you may be a bit shocked at the humidity here,
I am sure you remember that, but it is more humid in Bull Shoals than Bella Vista.

Thanks TRex!

Yeah, humidity and bugs. But that is the price for water and trees.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:03 AM

So, can anyone tell me how the cell service is around the Lakes? We use Verizon now. Or would a land line be the only way to get decent service? What do you all use/do for computer an TV?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2018, 12:04 PM

I know there is an area from Batesville up to US 62 that my cell phone has some problems.

As for Cable vs Verizon vs whatever on home Internet and TV
I suspect that changes every 5 miles.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I know there is an area from Batesville up to US 62 that my cell phone has some problems.

As for Cable vs Verizon vs whatever on home Internet and TV
I suspect that changes every 5 miles.
Thanks TRex! Computer/phone is the main thing. We only got a power antenna now, but we got a ton of DVDs and Blu-Rays. Nice to know there is a choice.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 2,125 times
Thanks again to everyone who's contributed information to this thread. I have been away for awhile and unable to check back in.

Regarding cell service, we formerly had AT&T, and although a bit spotty at times, we never lost service while visiting the area. Now, we have T-Mobile, and I don't have as high of hopes for it, since there are parts near to KC where it almost disappears. I haven't been down to Bull Shoals since switching from AT&T, so I don't know for sure.

I know that CATV is available to our property, but I think that the choices are overall pretty slim. Satellite internet might be the best, albeit expensive option for a lot of places.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:53 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,098,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
Thanks again to everyone who's contributed information to this thread. I have been away for awhile and unable to check back in.

Regarding cell service, we formerly had AT&T, and although a bit spotty at times, we never lost service while visiting the area. Now, we have T-Mobile, and I don't have as high of hopes for it, since there are parts near to KC where it almost disappears. I haven't been down to Bull Shoals since switching from AT&T, so I don't know for sure.

I know that CATV is available to our property, but I think that the choices are overall pretty slim. Satellite internet might be the best, albeit expensive option for a lot of places.
You will have better options for internet than satellite internet. I'm not positive as to what the options are there but they do offer internet service even to very remote areas.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:11 AM
sub

498 posts, read 258,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post

Cable is probably your best bet if you can get it. Most consistent and reliable.
We had landline phone service for a while, and it's internet at the time was good enough to watch movies on.
Where we live, people tend to use Verizon for everything, sometimes overwhelming the tower, I think. Not sure how that works. It's just slow sometimes.
For cell, AT&T and Verizon are really the only good options I can think of, but the hills make it difficult for them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or