U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 2,166 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new thread as the last one regarding Mt. Home seems to have turned into a thread about cats. My wife and I haven't been to AR in about 10 years. Things I find online seem to be promising, demographics, home prices, etc. We are looking for any information about the area that anyone thinks may be helpful in our search. We are from rural NY (yup, there's cows in NY).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 09:45 AM

644 posts, read 142,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhntr-ny View Post
I'm starting a new thread as the last one regarding Mt. Home seems to have turned into a thread about cats. My wife and I haven't been to AR in about 10 years. Things I find online seem to be promising, demographics, home prices, etc. We are looking for any information about the area that anyone thinks may be helpful in our search. We are from rural NY (yup, there's cows in NY).
Mountain Home is a great choice !

Scenic, has a great hospital ( Baxter Regional )

Has shopping necessities that smaller towns don't so thus it is a " hub".

Only drawbacks I can think of is it is not near a freeway , Amtrak station, or a major airport.
( if that would concern you )

Old 08-13-2018, 10:15 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,103,376 times
What are you looking for in an area for retirement? That would help to know if this is a place that would appeal to you.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 AM

13 posts, read 4,360 times
Not trying to hijack the thread. I'll be closely following this one. I'm 62, and ready to throw in the work towel. Would like to move to AR, check the different areas out, purchase a home, then seriously consider buying rental property for income until full retirement age, or at least until 65 for medicare. I keep coming back to MH, because of Baxter Regional. I know as we age we'll likely need more advanced medical care. Don't want to be too far in the boonies and have to drive an hour or so for doctor appts, ect.

MH also seems to have fairly good shopping (for what I might be interested in anyway). I do wish it had train service, or a reasonably priced airport close by. I'm kinda spoiled having Amtrak service in town, and four major airports close by.

Bring it on folks, elkhntr-ny & I patiently await your replies.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:10 PM

2,114 posts, read 625,203 times
In previous postings, you said you were looking for a cabin/small home near public land, on some acreage, and was more concerned with getting accurate information about the land you were thinking of buying, rather than exactly were it was located.

Is that still the case?

I don't live in M.H., but close enough that I drive there at least a couple times a month.

I can tell you that precision in land boundaries isn't what it is in NY. Between the mountains, and the "less than exacting standards" that were applied here decades ago there is always the chance that information will not match on what you are looking at.

I know that happened where I bought, and I still only know within about 20 feet, where my property ends.

(But that is close enough for what I am doing, so I didn't spend the extra $400+ on a legal survey, especially since that could have upped my real estate taxes, LoL. )

Old 08-19-2018, 06:23 AM

213 posts, read 84,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhntr-ny View Post
Mountain Home would be a very nice place to retire at. But it does depend on what you are looking for and what you enjoy doing hobbies, Outdoors. Me I prefer a more back in the woods area.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:58 PM

5,200 posts, read 4,204,940 times
Default Buying Home on White River 2018

I need advice from Mountain Home locals, & those who bought or sold riverfront homes in the past 5 years. We've owned a riverfront lot in the area for 30 years & fit right in, but have decided not to build on it after the health issues.

What would you consider a reasonable offer for a nice home with over an acre on the White River below the Bull Shoals dam in Cotter, with steps to the river but no dock, that was last asking $495K a few years ago before they took it off the market? The real estate agent was still able to show it to us because I had found it on a previous trip there, and asked for it specifically.

There's not much for riverfront homes above the Buffalo confluence, but we think the asking price for this property is about right, considering the asking prices of of other properties (nothing is directly comparable). Data on what percent of asking price the riverfront properties sell for is scarce.

The potential sellers have lived there for 12 years & are downsizing and "cashing out" for retirement expenses. They had a sale fall through in 2016 for reasons that don't bother us, & are cooperating 100% with our requests for showing & info. The agent says they are both "business people." To sweeten our offer, it will be all-cash, no "nibbling" with inspections for concessions or further price reduction, plus we'll give them the winter at a nominal fee to find another house after closing. We're also waiving the appraisal since we've bought & sold & built plenty & aren't getting a mortgage.

We don't want to offend them, but we must save as much as we can for our rather expensive health problems. So we have 2 main questions:

1. Is the national traditional offer, counteroffer, counter-counteroffer the way it usually works here, or do locals expect the first offer to be close to the final price?

2. What would be considered a reasonable first offer in this situation, in this area, for either the first or second situation in question 1 above?

Thank you all for any info or advice; we've loved the area & the people for 35 years and this house would be great to "age in place" in!

Old 10-26-2018, 06:28 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,103,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I need advice from Mountain Home locals, & those who bought or sold riverfront homes in the past 5 years. We've owned a riverfront lot in the area for 30 years & fit right in, but have decided not to build on it after the health issues.

What would you consider a reasonable offer for a nice home with over an acre on the White River below the Bull Shoals dam in Cotter, with steps to the river but no dock, that was last asking $495K a few years ago before they took it off the market? The real estate agent was still able to show it to us because I had found it on a previous trip there, and asked for it specifically.

There's not much for riverfront homes above the Buffalo confluence, but we think the asking price for this property is about right, considering the asking prices of of other properties (nothing is directly comparable). Data on what percent of asking price the riverfront properties sell for is scarce.

The potential sellers have lived there for 12 years & are downsizing and "cashing out" for retirement expenses. They had a sale fall through in 2016 for reasons that don't bother us, & are cooperating 100% with our requests for showing & info. The agent says they are both "business people." To sweeten our offer, it will be all-cash, no "nibbling" with inspections for concessions or further price reduction, plus we'll give them the winter at a nominal fee to find another house after closing. We're also waiving the appraisal since we've bought & sold & built plenty & aren't getting a mortgage.

We don't want to offend them, but we must save as much as we can for our rather expensive health problems. So we have 2 main questions:

1. Is the national traditional offer, counteroffer, counter-counteroffer the way it usually works here, or do locals expect the first offer to be close to the final price?

2. What would be considered a reasonable first offer in this situation, in this area, for either the first or second situation in question 1 above?

Thank you all for any info or advice; we've loved the area & the people for 35 years and this house would be great to "age in place" in!
These questions are impossible to answer here. You NEED to get yourself a buyer's agent in Mountain Home who will represent you. They will be able to answer these questions and guide you through negotiations.

Old Today, 12:38 AM

5,200 posts, read 4,204,940 times
Have one. Wanted LOCAL advice.

Old Today, 05:31 AM

2,114 posts, read 625,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Have one. Wanted LOCAL advice.
You are considering buying property in M. Home,
and you have a buyer's agent, in Mt.Home,
but thought you would get local advice, on a statewide forum?

Quote:
Here is the advice. Yes, the traditional offer counteroffer, counter-counteroffer is the way it works.
Everywhere.

Property is always worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it,
and what someone is willing to sell it for. No more, no less.

If the buyer and seller cannot come to agreement, then the
property is worth somewhere between what the seller and
the buyer are stating, but you will never know until the
seller says "sold."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas