U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,858,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK94Z View Post
We currently live in a small town as it is (6,000 people), but a much bigger town is about 25 miles away. We have gotten used to the smaller rural area. But there are several restuarants, walmart, etc. here.

We would be looking to rent a house. Does anyone have a good realtor I could contact there?

Does AR have state income tax?
Also, are tags expensive? In Alabama its based on value of your car, so my wifes new vehicle is around $190/yr. It sucks! In TN everyones vehicle was $45 no matter what it was not a big deal, but it all adds up though.

Thanks again!
We do have state income tax but the burden is modest compared to some states. The place AR tends to get you is on sales tax and in some locations property taxes. I would imaging property taxes down there in Arkadelphia aren't too bad. In AR, your vehicle is considered personal property and is also subject to being taxed. Registration costs are very modest even if you get a special tag or a personalized tag. Passenger car registration ranges from $17 to $30 depending on vehicle weight. Personalized plates cost an additional $25. DFA | Office of Motor Vehicles | Home

There is no longer any safety inspection in AR and I probably don't have to say it, but we have no emissions inspections either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 01:21 PM

296 posts, read 1,134,423 times
Default Arkadelphia and surrounding areas are fine.....

You can choose which area you like whether it be Arkadelphia or a small commute to Arkadelphia from Benton, Malvern or Hot Springs. You will enjoy living close to Little Rock, Hot Springs or a smaller town such as Arkadelphia. The Lakes in the area are beautiful and you are close to the Ouachita Mountains and other natural resources to enjoy. Arkadelphia offers 2 colleges and Little Rock has colleges also. I'm sure you'll be able to find a place to rent in each area. Best of luck and welcome to Arkansas. Car tags prices are decent in Arkansas also and we have a state tax. Some food items are not taxable. Home prices are reasonable also. You may also be able to find a home to lease with an optional to buy in the future in the area you like.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 19,936 times
You guys are great! Thanks so much for the feedback so far! I'll be there two weeks from tomorrow for my interview and visit through Saturday.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM

7 posts, read 32,133 times
It's a college town and overall a very nice place to live.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:27 PM

308 posts, read 1,444,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I've heard Arkadelphia has good public schools from K-12.
Arkadelphia schools could be better but you don't have much of a choice there. There are a number of activities for the kids to choose from, so usually everyone can find something they're interested in pursuing. The two universities (and their libraries) in town make research projects great.

Quote:
Arkadelphia is small even for someone coming from a place like Conway, Hot Springs, or Fayetteville. Very small with not much. The lake is a lot of fun though, but that is really all Arkadelphia has going for it. It feels like a retirement town that somehow maintains two universities.
I blame tricky advertising on the universities part :P
One of those universities has come close to shutting its doors on multiple occasions, so you may be on to something with the tricky advertising.

Quote:
I would trust your intuition. If your kiddos like to talk you and the wifey into going to the movies* (and dinner) even once a month, just imagine how much $$$ you will be burning by taking the whole crew to Hot Springs and back in a month or two. Gas will be 5$/gal soon enough.

*Arkadelphia does not have a movie theatre or a broad range of dining establishments.

I hate to sound so negative about Arkadelphia, but I would hate to find another person in Arkadelphia that is wondering "Why did I move here again?"
Anyone under 50/60 should think long and hard about Arkadelphia unless they are truly wanting the small town life and all the things that (don't) go with it.
Ah, yes, let's not forget the movie theater (or the bowling alley)! OP, if anyone trys to sell you that they're going to be opening up a new establishment soon, then they're probably full of it. If they actually do manage to bring one in (yet again), then it most likely will not stick around for long. Arkadelphia simply cannot sustain anything that might make the town a wee bit more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
I have to agree with the above comment that mentions that a person under the age of 50 would probably not enjoy Arkadelphia at all unless you are a traditional student at one of the two universities. In rural towns like this, people usually hang around due to their ties to the community rather it is their family, friends, or church. For a newcomer with no ties to the area, it would probably be brutally boring to reside in a place like Arkadelphia or any rural town for that matter.
That's what the local Wal-mart's for--Heck, they even put in a super wal-mart to give the kids a bigger parking lot for even more "super" fun.

Quote:
We currently live in a small town as it is (6,000 people), but a much bigger town is about 25 miles away. We have gotten used to the smaller rural area. But there are several restuarants, walmart, etc. here.

We would be looking to rent a house. Does anyone have a good realtor I could contact there?
Check out the Daily Siftings (local newspaper) for rentals as well. Otherwise, driving the streets to look for "For Rent" signs works, too. This gives you the benefit of not wasting your time in neighborhoods that you wouldn't want to live. Not much there, so it doesn't take too much time. G'luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 PM

802 posts, read 2,180,084 times
Paramour speaks the truth.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:27 AM

6 posts, read 19,936 times
Moved to the south side of Hot Springs (off Amity Rd). Found some brand new townhomes with double car garages to rent. Real nice place.
Hot Springs is awesome! Lakeside school district is probably better that Arkadelphia too. My new neighbor is an Army recruiter, he said the ones that can't hardly pass the ASFAB are from Arkadelphia. No problems with the kids from lakeside or Lake Hamilton school districts.
The commute to Arkadelphia is a little long, but carpooling is about to fix that.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 PM

308 posts, read 1,444,213 times
Quote:
Moved to the south side of Hot Springs (off Amity Rd). Found some brand new townhomes with double car garages to rent. Real nice place.
Hot Springs is awesome! Lakeside school district is probably better that Arkadelphia too. My new neighbor is an Army recruiter, he said the ones that can't hardly pass the ASFAB are from Arkadelphia. No problems with the kids from lakeside or Lake Hamilton school districts.
The commute to Arkadelphia is a little long, but carpooling is about to fix that.

Thanks again everyone!
Congrats! I would agree that both Lakeside & Lake Hamilton schools are definitely better than Arkadelphia.

As far as problems with passing the ASVAB, most kids from Arkadelphia who take it are individuals who aren't able to go any other route. College is usually out of the question for them. I remember being forced to take a "pre-test" before they allowed me to go to LR for the ASVAB & processing at MEPS because of the "everyone in Arkadelphia is a moron" mentality at the USMC recruiter's office. They were quite shocked when I actually passed all of their silly li'l tests with flying colors. Of course, I also suspect that had something to do with me being female, and females aren't supposed to be able to answer questions re: math, mechanics, physics, etc.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM

350 posts, read 1,125,392 times
Quote:

Thanks again everyone!
Lakeside is one of the best school systems in Arkansas, top 10 if not top 5. You'll be very happy there. It's common for people to work in Malvern or Arkadelphia and live in Hot Springs. You've got good restaurants, shopping, and entertainment there as well for a city that size.

We have a place on the lake on Central just before it leaves town heading towards Arkadelphia.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 10,729 times
Default Arkadelphia.....a place to call home?

Greetings,

I saw your post, and realize it is 3 months old but figured I'd respond anyway. I too recently moved to Arkadelphia for work at one of the universities in town...

What can I say about this town? It really isn't that bad, and compared to many of the other small towns I have to say that the two universities (one public, one private religious; both four-year schools) make this town tolerable. Without them, this place would be just as backwards as anywhere in the delta region...I can tolerate it just fine(some of the worst poverty and lack of education in the nation is based in the Arkansas Mississippi Delta). However, I have to admit that I'm already looking for higher-paying positions out of state (been here about a year). I like the lower crime rates and clean air/water but I don't want my kids to grow up in rural Arkansas...this place is far behind the times and has no inclination to progress to anywhere past the 1950's. That has it's benefits too, but I'm not really interested in them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas