Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,900 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I'll be moving to the southwest part of the state for a job when I graduate in May. Right now I'm living in Jonesboro and, unfortunately, have never been to SW Arkansas. I'll be making a trip in a few weeks during spring break to look for residence, but right now I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions as far as finding a nice city to live in.

Technically, my job won't be in any single city. I'll be doing field work, so I'll be travelling up to a 50 mile radius around De Queen, which is the most central location to my work. De Queen may be the obvious choice here, but not being from the area or even having visited it yet, I'm seeking out anyone who may have some personal experience. There are a lot of considerations that statistics don't always do justice. (For instance, I've discovered that Ashdown's paper mill evidently clouds the area in a bad odor.)

Attractiveness of the city/housing and apartment availability are some important factors to me, as well as central location.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WailingConstant View Post
Hello everyone.

I'll be moving to the southwest part of the state for a job when I graduate in May. Right now I'm living in Jonesboro and, unfortunately, have never been to SW Arkansas. I'll be making a trip in a few weeks during spring break to look for residence, but right now I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions as far as finding a nice city to live in.

Technically, my job won't be in any single city. I'll be doing field work, so I'll be travelling up to a 50 mile radius around De Queen, which is the most central location to my work. De Queen may be the obvious choice here, but not being from the area or even having visited it yet, I'm seeking out anyone who may have some personal experience. There are a lot of considerations that statistics don't always do justice. (For instance, I've discovered that Ashdown's paper mill evidently clouds the area in a bad odor.)

Attractiveness of the city/housing and apartment availability are some important factors to me, as well as central location.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide assistance.
I don't know much about SW Ar but the first thing that comes to my mind would be Texarcana. it is certainly SW, is a nice sized little town and on the Texas/Ar border as the name would suggest. I am sure others will be able to give you more ideas. Much depends on what size city you are looking at, you might find towns like De Queen a little small and boring for a young college grad.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Might look at Nashville or even Hope. Or any of the smaller towns around there, you're gonna get papermill smells pretty much anyplace there. Good luck in your new job.

Arkansas's Great Southwest

Southwest Arkansas Daily

SWAPDD | South West Arkansas Planning & Development District

Old 03-04-2013, 01:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Magnolia is a very nice small town with a charming square and a good university (SAU) there.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nashville has been one of my considerations. I haven't found much in the way of apartments, though. I'll probably need to look into houses for rent if I decide on it.

Unfortunately, Kathryn, Magnolia is too far east. I'd be spending half the day commuting.

Thanks again.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times
I think you will find the availability of apartments and houses about the same in any of those small towns in that area. Since you will be traveling in a 50 mile radius of DeQueen, you have major US highways running all four directions from there. In some of the other nearby towns you will end up part of the time on crooked state highways. A lot will depend on your product and who you will be calling on. If you prefer to not post that on this public Forum, if you choose to do so, if you will send me a Direct Message with that info I may be more helpful.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 PM

@ArkansasSlim, I'll be working for the state government, auditing counties/municipalities/educational institutions. When I said 50 mile radius, it would be within the state, so it wouldn't extend west into Oklahoma.

I think I've narrowed down to just De Queen and Nashville. De Queen looks like it has more options right now, but I'll know more once I'm able to visit. If anyone is familiar with those two cities (or maybe something I've missed), I would still appreciate your input.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times
O.K., with that info I'd say Nashville would be the better location, and as far as the communities are concerned, I don't think there is much difference in them. But as you are planning to do; you gotta go see. Good luck, and please let us know your choice. Those of us who Post here are always interested in the outcome of our input.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 PM

To give you guys an update, I found a place in De Queen. There's not much available there... It appears demand > supply. One apartment complex looks like a meth lab, one is only available to senior citizens, and one is low income housing. So I had to start looking at houses for rent and found one a few weeks ago and moved my few things in yesterday. Housing is very reasonable in the area, which I like.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WailingConstant View Post
To give you guys an update, I found a place in De Queen. There's not much available there... It appears demand > supply. One apartment complex looks like a meth lab, one is only available to senior citizens, and one is low income housing. So I had to start looking at houses for rent and found one a few weeks ago and moved my few things in yesterday. Housing is very reasonable in the area, which I like.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.
Thanks for the updae. It is always fun to hear how things work out when people ask for advise or consider a move. So often we never hear anything and wonder what the outcome is or was. Hope you enjoy your new adventure. You will probably enjoy living a house but an apartment would have made it easier to find friends, not that you want a bunch of oldsters or meth users as you buddies.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas