U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No, don't call the other persons insurance company. Her insurance company is responsible for doing that.

The health insurance may be initially denying the claims until they're sure that the auto insurance payout has been exhausted. That varies by state, though. One insurance pays first, and then the other one kicks in. I don't know the rules for Arkansas.

We can't help this woman with the information provided.
of course you are right. I was just thinking the other insurance company is responsible so without thinking i said call them. I have noticed the OP hasn't come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 01:16 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,172,219 times
When I saw the original Post I suspected a "troll" but replied anyway. It seems my original suspicion was correct.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
When I saw the original Post I suspected a "troll" but replied anyway. It seems my original suspicion was correct.
yep didn't fit, English was almost not legible, but not like some people who really do struggle with English as a second language the story story was a bit far fetched to put it mildly.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:59 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily say troll. It seemed more like an exasperated rant. If the poor guy speaks like he types, he and the injured woman aren't going to fare well.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 PM

881 posts, read 461,496 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be negative, but for the many, many years I have had vehicle and accident insurance, I was always given the option of how much coverage I wanted. It appears, from your Post, that your friends insurance paid what she signed up for and paid premiums for, unfortunately, her expenses were much more than the coverage she signed up for. That is not the fault of the insurance company.
When you have a new car you get FULL coverage. When you drive a beater like me you can do just fine with the state mandated minimum liability coverage.

Anything over what I currently pay would be best saved for the future anyway, say, for investments or toward a new car fund. People are silly to take out car loans too. Just don't have a car loan, drive what you can afford, and save the difference between your car payment and zero, and you will magically be able to accrue the money for your next vehicle.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
When you have a new car you get FULL coverage. When you drive a beater like me you can do just fine with the state mandated minimum liability coverage.

Anything over what I currently pay would be best saved for the future anyway, say, for investments or toward a new car fund. People are silly to take out car loans too. Just don't have a car loan, drive what you can afford, and save the difference between your car payment and zero, and you will magically be able to accrue the money for your next vehicle.
Can't totally agree with you. 1-hour car insurance for repairs can be different than for injuries. We have to wonder why the car that was involved in the accident and was to fault is't responsible for the injuries and last but not least: we do not have car loans anymore but to say: no one should ever have a car loan is like saying no one should ever have a home loan. Why would anyone take a chance and drive a car that has so many miles on it that a break down would be a disaster. And why would anyone pay the upkeep on a car that is costing as much as a car payment would. That to me, is a waste of money.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:52 PM

369 posts, read 189,626 times
Insurance may be useless in your case, but Grammarly (https://app.grammarly.com/) is not.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:50 PM

5,498 posts, read 5,155,447 times
Can't totally agree with you. 1-hour car insurance for repairs can be different than for injuries. We have to wonder why the car that was involved in the accident and was to fault is't responsible for the injuries and last but not least: we do not have car loans anymore but to say: no one should ever have a car loan is like saying no one should ever have a home loan. Why would anyone take a chance and drive a car that has so many miles on it that a break down would be a disaster. And why would anyone pay the upkeep on a car that is costing as much as a car payment would. That to me, is a waste of money.

nmrita - I totally agree with you. That's why car loans were invented - to let people who can't afford to pay for the entire car with cash buy a car anyway. And enjoy the hell out of it. It doesn't work to listen to financial expert Dave Ramsey tell you they shouldn't buy a car on credit. Boulderdash!

I don't buy it. Now, should you buy a car with a $500-$700 monthly payment? If you can afford it, yes. But if you know you should be paying somewhere around $300 a month, you'd better stick to that.

I agree with nmrita - buy what you like and enjoy it. Even if it means monthly payments. Dave Ramsey is worth $55 million dollars. Big deal. Not impressed. I love cars. I don't just like cars. I love cars. Not gonna starve myself of the enjoyment just to satisfy some money-grubbing Tennessee hick's idolization problem with money. Bug the hell off, Ramsey.

Buy what you like and enjoy what you like in automobiles.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:31 AM

8,936 posts, read 15,851,020 times
Quote:

I'll separate the loan part and just focus on the insurance bit

Your liability doesn't diminish between a beater or a new car.

The amount you want to spend protecting the physical property value of your vehicle does.

That aspect is the "full coverage"

Liability is the but you are legally required to pay to another person/entity due to damages caused to them based on the vehicle usage - think damages to the other car, other vehicle passenger medical expenses, damages to any real property/building

Physical damage is covering the value/cost to bring your own car back to its condition prior to a loss - so in an accident it would be the value of your car, or if a tree branch falls on your car, hail damage, etc

I had a physical damage claim when a piece of metal kicked up and took out a portion of my front bumper/light

Liability is not optional - this is managed by the state as a condition of vehicle ownership. There is a minimum amount of limit you must carry.

That limit is often dependent on what you can afford and what assets you need to protect.

Remember, liability covers what you are legally obligated to pay another party. Your insurance limit pays first. If you don't have enough limit the other party can get your personal assets

Many people don't have more than state minimum and don't have assets - this is why uninsured/underinsured coverage is important.

UM/UIM is a claim against your policy when the policy of the other party is not adequate to cover your damages

Physical Damage coverage is the "full coverage" component. There is no limit to select and no state mandate.

On vehicles where there is a loan in place the lender may require physical damage to protect their collateral.

On a new car, even fully owned, it usually makes sense because there is more value to protect.

On a $1,000 beater it probably doesn't as the value of the vehicle isn't going to lead to a pay out that may be worth the premium

The full coverage is the mandated liability + the optional physical damage

Old 10-15-2018, 09:57 AM

783 posts, read 559,185 times
Quote:

The state required minimums are far from adequate in most cases. In AR the minimum coverage for property damage is $25,000. If you hit and total a new Mercedes your$25,000 is going to go very far ... the balance comes out of YOUR pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas