U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM

293 posts, read 295,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You have done a good job of covering the state. I will add, the BV by pass now has the funds and should be completed by 2021. That is encouraging. I too hope I live long enough to see the completion. What I like about BV is we are rural and urban at the same time. We are within 1/2 hour from great shopping, medical and really good dining and yet we are almost in the country. We also have a very active military retirement community.
An extension o f the Hot Springs bypass, to bring a four lane highway closer to the village, was voted on two election cycles ago and they haven't done a thing as far as I know. Certainly no construction has begun. This is another project I doubt will be finished in my lifetime. I think back to watching what's now I-49 creep it's way south of Joplin. Seems like every year they would extend the 4 lane another mile or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM

293 posts, read 295,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have heard we do have a few water moccacines (spelling) in our lakes but have never seen one, nor have I seen a rattle snake. We saw rattle snakes in Calif and AZ, but not here. As for the copperheads we did find a dead baby in a insect trap shortly after we moved here. We have never seen one since, but I kept telling my self, it there was a baby there had to be a mommy and daddy somewhere near.
we do see harmless snakes every summer, but even then, considering all the vacant forest land around us, very few.
We live on top of a ridge and have no neighbors close. We have woods and large trees right up to the property line on both sides of the house and in the back. Being on a ridge we have more rocks than dirt, and a rock retaining wall the length of the garage and driveway. Perfect habitat for copperheads. We have had four of them around in six years, plus a nest of garter snakes that about gave our handyman a heart attack. When we lived in Kansas we had 10x this many snakes, at least.

Old Yesterday, 05:23 AM

71,005 posts, read 82,252,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
An extension o f the Hot Springs bypass, to bring a four lane highway closer to the village, was voted on two election cycles ago and they haven't done a thing as far as I know. Certainly no construction has begun. This is another project I doubt will be finished in my lifetime. I think back to watching what's now I-49 creep it's way south of Joplin. Seems like every year they would extend the 4 lane another mile or so.
the BV bypass has a lot of construction right now. You can see there the 2 new lanes will be and the extension still needed is only a few miles. I have every faith it will be finished in a few years. Maybe not as soon as predicted, but in the next 2 plus years.

Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM

71,005 posts, read 82,252,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
We live on top of a ridge and have no neighbors close. We have woods and large trees right up to the property line on both sides of the house and in the back. Being on a ridge we have more rocks than dirt, and a rock retaining wall the length of the garage and driveway. Perfect habitat for copperheads. We have had four of them around in six years, plus a nest of garter snakes that about gave our handyman a heart attack. When we lived in Kansas we had 10x this many snakes, at least.
Other than our baby copperhead I think the worst we have seen was a huge black snake in our garage. I know so little about snakes that I am not about to decide what kind a snake it is. So we called the police to remove it. they arrived, the nice cop picked it up and threw it across the street. The other problem we did have was a few snake skins in our attic. The crew doing the remodeling on our house about 5 years ago discovered them. Like you, we have lived a lot of places with as many snakes as we have here.

Old Today, 04:18 PM

2,598 posts, read 846,960 times
I call any large non-poisonous snake a "rat snake" so the first time I saw a real rat snake, and didn't know what it was, I held a shovel between me and it (all the snake could see was the metal shovel blade) and let it strike the shovel while I looked to see if it had any of the signs of being poisonous. Poor thing, by the time I had decided it was no threat and tossed it out of my work area into the brush, it probably had permanent brain damage from hitting that shovel blade

Old Today, 04:49 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,236,329 times
A rat snake tends to get very long, like over 5'. I saw one even try to mimic a rattlesnake by coiling up and shaking his tail to scare us away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or