Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 PM

298 posts, read 704,479 times

Advertisements

Not being very familiar with gated communities with "rules" and such I would appreciate some first hand responses. We have visited the area, thought it was absolutely beautiful, and are considering it for retirement for at least part of the year (winter, of course, as we are freezing in Wisconsin). Are community rules and regulations oppressive or intrusive? Is Hot Springs Village run by a few people with lots of power or can one live quietly without being intruded upon if one chooses? We like the idea of the gated community especially if we are not in residence year round. We are outgoing, accepting and friendly but would not be comfortable with over- regulation (for example, we love our 3 dogs and would want to keep them). Just don't know anything about gated communities as they are rare in our neck of the woods. Any info from actual residents would be so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 01:00 AM

288 posts, read 1,080,065 times
I've been a resident for 5 years, and I have not found the rules oppressive or intrusive. The Village is not run by a few people... there are 7 members of the Board of Directors, of which I was recently elected to a 1-year term. The day-to-day operations are the responsibility of a General Manager and the managment/staff of the various operating departments (Public Safety, Public Works, Finance, Planning & Inspections, etc).

Most of what you are asking about falls under "Planning and Inspections" and/or the Architectural Control Committee (ACC).

An example that would apply for you... say you buy an existing house, but it doesn't have a fenced in yard for the dogs (most backyards do not have fences). You'd have to get a permit for the fence, and 'chain link' are frowned upon. Its a pretty straightforward process, but you probably wouldn't get a approval for a brightly colored plastic-coated chain-link fence in your front yard. If you want a nice wood or decorative metal fence in your backyard, its not a problem. The website for Planning and Inspections is http://www.hsvpoa.org/Planning%20&%20Inspections%20Home.htm (broken link).

Another example that would apply.... dogs are required to be on a leash or under 'voice control'. We have many miles of walking trails, and dogs are welcome.

Other examples of regulations... you can't have a temporary structure on your lot (RV, trailer). RVs aren't allowed in driveways for more than 72 hours at a time - yes got a letter :-) Boats at residences must be stored in garages or behind houses, or on the side of a house with appropriate screening such as landscaping.

If you have specific questions, just let me know with a private message or a reply to this post.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Thank you , Mr. Atkins, for your reply. You are correct that we would want a fenced backyard for our dogs (collies). Here in WI we have a 6-foot chain link which we like because we can see through it (no green vinyl!!). Are you saying that would not be approved for a backyard in Hot Springs Village? I guess we're most worried that others, for example, would have say over what color we chose for our home or where we decided to plant a rosebush. We are just ordinary folks who like our privacy when in our own home. We certainly wouldn't plan on creating any eyesores! We're just not sure how much say others have over one's day-to-day living in a gated community as we have no experience with one and know no one who has ever lived in one.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 PM

What I've seen is that chain link in backyards is typically approved, unless there is something else involved such as a corner lot (could be seen from side street) or a golf course or lake front lot. I think they prefer a natural / neurtral color for the coating, such as brown or dark green.

The color of the house is not regulated, as far as I know.

Permits are *not* required for landscaping changes under $2,000 that do not affect drainage. No permit = no inspection = no problem with planting whatever you'd like to plant.

Your intentions seem good, I doubt you would ever have any problems.

A great source of information is the local newspaper. The older issues are available online in PDF format, no charge. The website http://www.hsvvoice.com/common/Archive.html

Last edited by JeffAtkins; 05-08-2007 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: add link to local newspaper

Old 05-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Thank you Mr. Atkins. We may be your neighbors in a couple of years!

Old 01-31-2019, 11:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,910 times
Smile Home buying for iowa snowbirds

Dear Mr Atkins, we need your advise. We are going to buy a winter home by this fall 2019. We just don't know which type of property would be safer for us snowbirds while we are gone. Condo vs house. When we retire from farming in 5 years we will live there permanently. If we buy a cheap condo we could get an idea where we want out permanent retirement home and sell or rent the condo out. What would your advice to us be. And is there any areas we should avoid buying in the village. Thank you so much for any advise you might have. We have no dogs, just a pampered cat, and we love love trees.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:47 PM

Hello...

There aren't any "bad" areas of HSV, but there are "older" areas of HSV, primarily on the West end. I currently live on the West end, but I've also lived on the East end. There are many residents who are gone for extended periods, and they have little or no security issues. I have a Wyze cam that I can set for motion alerts, that's all the security I think I need.

I regularly look at condos for rentals, but I've only bought 1, and it was for a 'flip'. Most don't have carports or garages, and they are a bit more 'dense' than I prefer. I think the Condo Association fee is currently around $100/month, in addition to the POA assessment.

My advice is to schedule a few days to drive around, either by yourself or with me or with a real estate agent (I am not a real estate agent). That will give you the confidence to move forward.

There are plenty of nightly rentals that you can book through one of the local rental companies, or AirBnb, or VRBO (my nightly rental is on AirBnB).

FYI, it is currently 63F here, on a day when Chicago hit a low around 0. Stay warm!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 PM

6 posts, read 6,910 times
Default Thank you Mr Atkins

Two days ago here on the farm in Iowa it was -35 temp with a wind chill of -55. We are planning on visiting after harvest season this fall and we love for you to show us around. We do prefer a house over a condo, but just thought it might be a good start for the winter months and getting use to the surroundings, until our permenant move in 5 more years of farming. We have saved for years so we won't need financing. Just looking for a 2 bed, 2 bath for just us 2 snowbirds. We appreciate all you excellent advise and hope you will stay in touch with us. Thank you again and have a blessed day sir.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:02 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,403,751 times
Maybe this will help you speed up your move to this area, it was a balmy 65f in Hot Springs today! Great day to be at Oaklawn and watch the horses. Come on down!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:49 PM

340 posts, read 516,236 times
Jeff, haven’t seen you on here for a while. Many thanks for all your help when we were considering the village six years ago. We’ve been here since May of 2013 with no regrets.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas