U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2019, 07:54 AM
 
1 posts, read 464 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

After serving 30 years in the Marine Corps I retired to Wisconsin. Needless to say I am tired of the long winters and all the snow. I have looked around and Arkansas seems like beautiful country. Being retired but still young me and the wife are looking for a nice place to retire. I have been doing research on the state and like what I am seeing so far. I would like to get the input of the people that live there.


We do have a trailer and like to go on RV road trips so I would like a place that if I am gone for a week or so I don't have to worry about the house being by itself. I would like an area where you can't hear your neighbors talking in their house next door. Any input would be greatly appreciated.


Thank you
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2019, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Hot Springs Village, Ark
384 posts, read 919,575 times
Reputation: 351
Come check us out, we have lots of snowbirds here whose houses stay vacant for months with no problems. In the Glazy Peau neighborhood there are multi acre lots that would insure no noisy neighbors!!

Hot Springs Village |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,005 posts, read 82,252,814 times
Reputation: 40755
again, like my comment to the artiest retiree, both BV and Hot Springs village are worth a look. I think, at least 1/2 of BV is from the upper mid west. The rest are from Texas and Ca. Well not liberally, we have people from all over the country settling here. We do have a very active vet group or should I say several like the VFW and the American Legion. We also have a highly rated VA hospital in Fayetteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
691 posts, read 1,482,962 times
Reputation: 677
I posted something similar in a thread a while back so I'll recycle and update my comments.

Some Arkansas cities worth considering if you're looking for a comfortable retirement that still gives you some rural feel/privacy:

Mountain Home - population ~12-13k, 30-40k in the area. Big lakes, rivers, cheap land, large hospital and high end medical services for a town its size, beautiful college (branch of ASU), above average restaurant density and services for a small town due to summer tourism and it being a retirement area. About an hour and a half from Branson for the occasional weekend touristy trip. A significant number of smaller lake houses are vacation homes for people that live elsewhere in the winter, it's a safe area with a good balance of services and privacy.

Harrison- very similar to Mountain Home in size, very similar services thought not quite as robust on the medical side of things. Not as close to lakes, etc. but still very pretty area overall. Also very cheap. Closer to Branson and a little easier to get to due to US 65 being redeveloped and expanded more extensively over the past decade than US 412. I don't know if that's significant or not for your RV road trips but that's why I threw Harrison in.

NWA- there are numerous outlying smaller suburbs of NWA that are affordable and in close proximity to the larger urban area of Fayetteville/Rogers/Bentonville/Bella Vista area that may give you a bit of privacy while preserving access to amenities. Siloam Springs, Bella Vista, and Pea Ridge comes to mind as areas that may be worth checking out. NWA is beautiful and there's plenty of amenities and activities, it's just a little spread out.

Fort Smith- A bit larger than some of the other suggestions (though smaller than NWA core), so it has pretty good services. The city is going through somewhat of a revitalization over the last decade and is easily accessible due to being an interstate junction city, so really easy for the road trips. Perhaps a bit less scenic but it is on the river and has some very cool historic areas.

Conway- Also a bit larger and a bit heavier on the traffic side due to the interstate and proximity to Little Rock, but has plenty of services, shopping, dining, etc. while still being affordable and not too large. Easy access for the road trips once again. It's also close to the Little Rock area.

Cabot- Another "near Little Rock" kind of suburb, closer in size to Siloam Springs. Affordable, safe, and although growing still plenty of rural/private feeling properties. Far enough from LR to feel like its own place but close enough anything you'd want that it doesn't have is a short drive away. Not far from major roads.

Benton/Bryant- Fast growing Little Rock suburbs just off the interstate that still have a lot of very country feeling areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 12:36 PM
 
Location: SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
2,598 posts, read 846,960 times
Reputation: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfranco View Post
After serving 30 years in the Marine Corps I retired to Wisconsin. Needless to say I am tired of the long winters and all the snow. I have looked around and Arkansas seems like beautiful country. Being retired but still young me and the wife are looking for a nice place to retire. I have been doing research on the state and like what I am seeing so far. I would like to get the input of the people that live there.


We do have a trailer and like to go on RV road trips so I would like a place that if I am gone for a week or so I don't have to worry about the house being by itself. I would like an area where you can't hear your neighbors talking in their house next door. Any input would be greatly appreciated.


Thank you
Tom
Arkansas has what you want, and in a variety of flavors.
If you like flatlands, look to the south and east,
if you like rivers, north and east.
if you like mountains, and lakes, north and west.
if you like even less winter than NWA, try South and west.
(it was 10 degrees on my back patio this morning)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR
293 posts, read 295,129 times
Reputation: 322
Arkansas has several distinct areas. Along I-40 is the river Valley between Fort Smith and Little Rock. Draw a line along I-30 from Texarkana to Little Rock, and follow it along Hwy 67 to Missouri Border. East of that line is primarily agricultural, the Mississippi Delta. It's generally economically depressed. West of that I-30/67 line are the Ouachita Mountains (south of I-40) and the Ozarks (north of I-40). Northwest Arkansas has a booming economy, lots of folks moving there, lots of construction, and traffic.

If you plan to take an RV trip down this way (I live in Hot Springs Village) may I suggest a few great places to visit.

Mount Magazine State Park, Petit Jean State Park, Queen Wilhelmina State park. All of these have Mountaintop Lodges (with nice restaurants) with spectacular views and nearby Campgrounds. By the way, Arkansas has fantastic state parks and other public recreation facilities.

Within an hour or so of Hot Springs ... Lake Catherine State Park, Daisy State Park, and Lake Ouachita State Park. These are parks on highland lakes in the Ouachita mountains. Lake Ouachita is billed as the cleanest lake in America. Daisy and Lake Catherine are especially beautiful.

As far as a permanent place to live, Arkansas is very popular with retirees. We moved here from Texas, and are originally from Kansas. I see a lot of Green Bay Packers flags around here, and I know a few folks here from WI. There are three retirement communities in Arkansas that were developed by Cooper Communities. Hot Springs Village, Bella Vista (NW corner of the state), and Cherokee Village (near Mountain Home). Fairfield Bay is another retirement community near Clinton, AR on Greers Ferry Lake. I can compare HSV and BV, no experience with the others.

HSV is the place to be if you want small town living, quiet, lots of recreation activities, but limited access to restaurants, grocery stores, etc. We have a Wal Mart, a grocery store, Walgreens, etc. but a limited number of restaurants. The flip side of that is that Hot SPrings, with lots of everything including two hospitals, is 30 minutes away, and Benton a suburb of Little Rock is 45 minutes away. HSV's biggest attraction are the golf courses, there are 9 or 10 of them. We also have 10 lakes varying from 40 acres to 1000 acres. We have lots of military retirees here, one of the first people I met here was a Pearl Harbor veteran.

BV is next door to one of the USA's booming economies in NW Arkansas. Interstate 49 dumps into a busy 4 lane highway as it goes through Bella Vista. Eventually they will finish I-49 and it will bypass the business district of BV. Hopefully I live long enough to see that. As a result, BV is the place to be for access to better jobs, nearby shopping, dining, hospitals, etc. The cost of that is a lot of traffic. BV also has many lakes and golf courses, but I don't know the numbers.

If you decide to visit Hot Springs, and are willing to put up with an Air Force veteran, I'd be happy to show you around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 05:33 AM
 
188 posts, read 142,247 times
Reputation: 262
With all the states we visited, I believe AR hit the nail on the head when they called themselves the "Natural State". I never saw such amazing natural beauty as I do during our visits. I still recall the gorgeous view sitting in the Lodge restaurant at Petit Jean overlooking the valley. The restaurant actually had terrific food. Especially breakfast.

The fishing in AR is purty dang good as well.

Jim, will you take a shot at convincing my wife that there are no real poisonous snakes in AR.

I wish it were me moving to a place that feels like home (AR).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,005 posts, read 82,252,814 times
Reputation: 40755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
Arkansas has several distinct areas. Along I-40 is the river Valley between Fort Smith and Little Rock. Draw a line along I-30 from Texarkana to Little Rock, and follow it along Hwy 67 to Missouri Border. East of that line is primarily agricultural, the Mississippi Delta. It's generally economically depressed. West of that I-30/67 line are the Ouachita Mountains (south of I-40) and the Ozarks (north of I-40). Northwest Arkansas has a booming economy, lots of folks moving there, lots of construction, and traffic.

If you plan to take an RV trip down this way (I live in Hot Springs Village) may I suggest a few great places to visit.

Mount Magazine State Park, Petit Jean State Park, Queen Wilhelmina State park. All of these have Mountaintop Lodges (with nice restaurants) with spectacular views and nearby Campgrounds. By the way, Arkansas has fantastic state parks and other public recreation facilities.

Within an hour or so of Hot Springs ... Lake Catherine State Park, Daisy State Park, and Lake Ouachita State Park. These are parks on highland lakes in the Ouachita mountains. Lake Ouachita is billed as the cleanest lake in America. Daisy and Lake Catherine are especially beautiful.

As far as a permanent place to live, Arkansas is very popular with retirees. We moved here from Texas, and are originally from Kansas. I see a lot of Green Bay Packers flags around here, and I know a few folks here from WI. There are three retirement communities in Arkansas that were developed by Cooper Communities. Hot Springs Village, Bella Vista (NW corner of the state), and Cherokee Village (near Mountain Home). Fairfield Bay is another retirement community near Clinton, AR on Greers Ferry Lake. I can compare HSV and BV, no experience with the others.

HSV is the place to be if you want small town living, quiet, lots of recreation activities, but limited access to restaurants, grocery stores, etc. We have a Wal Mart, a grocery store, Walgreens, etc. but a limited number of restaurants. The flip side of that is that Hot SPrings, with lots of everything including two hospitals, is 30 minutes away, and Benton a suburb of Little Rock is 45 minutes away. HSV's biggest attraction are the golf courses, there are 9 or 10 of them. We also have 10 lakes varying from 40 acres to 1000 acres. We have lots of military retirees here, one of the first people I met here was a Pearl Harbor veteran.

BV is next door to one of the USA's booming economies in NW Arkansas. Interstate 49 dumps into a busy 4 lane highway as it goes through Bella Vista. Eventually they will finish I-49 and it will bypass the business district of BV. Hopefully I live long enough to see that. As a result, BV is the place to be for access to better jobs, nearby shopping, dining, hospitals, etc. The cost of that is a lot of traffic. BV also has many lakes and golf courses, but I don't know the numbers.

If you decide to visit Hot Springs, and are willing to put up with an Air Force veteran, I'd be happy to show you around.
You have done a good job of covering the state. I will add, the BV by pass now has the funds and should be completed by 2021. That is encouraging. I too hope I live long enough to see the completion. What I like about BV is we are rural and urban at the same time. We are within 1/2 hour from great shopping, medical and really good dining and yet we are almost in the country. We also have a very active military retirement community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR
293 posts, read 295,129 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
With all the states we visited, I believe AR hit the nail on the head when they called themselves the "Natural State". I never saw such amazing natural beauty as I do during our visits. I still recall the gorgeous view sitting in the Lodge restaurant at Petit Jean overlooking the valley. The restaurant actually had terrific food. Especially breakfast.

The fishing in AR is purty dang good as well.

Jim, will you take a shot at convincing my wife that there are no real poisonous snakes in AR.

I wish it were me moving to a place that feels like home (AR).
The only snakes we’ve had around are copperheads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,005 posts, read 82,252,814 times
Reputation: 40755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
The only snakes we’ve had around are copperheads
I have heard we do have a few water moccacines (spelling) in our lakes but have never seen one, nor have I seen a rattle snake. We saw rattle snakes in Calif and AZ, but not here. As for the copperheads we did find a dead baby in a insect trap shortly after we moved here. We have never seen one since, but I kept telling my self, it there was a baby there had to be a mommy and daddy somewhere near.
we do see harmless snakes every summer, but even then, considering all the vacant forest land around us, very few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top