U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:50 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,035,945 times

Advertisements

Anyone have flood pictures to post????

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-12-2008 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: spelling, changed "food" to "flood"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 04:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times
Anybody see the picture in the Dem Gaz of the Allyson Bridge? 3 blocks from the cabin. Jack's Landing is under water again...we have a mess again. Just barely got fixed from the last time, and here it is again....sigh...three floods in 25 years does not equal a 100 year flood plain. The river did not crest as high as predicted, so we felt lucky (if that's a feeling you can have right now).

The guy from Wildlife said he didn't expect to see this again in his lifetime, which I thought was interesting. Bet he said the same thing 3 weeks ago. We fared so much better than some of the neighbors, and some towns are under water still.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:47 PM

450 posts, read 1,803,417 times
Thumbs up Great descriptions, Rogmar! You are a natural writer.

[quote=RogMar;3426084]I'm setting on the deck having coffee, watching the deer, after a harried day yesterday, and I'm thinking..."I'll post the flood info round here", and...shazaam. There ya all are.

So, made a sin run to Thayer, routed around the one low-water bridge we had to cross, and headed down the red dirt road. Came to where we cross the Strawberry locally, and see cars & trucks up ahead, and folks scurrying about.

Find out they're all taking pictures. Strawberry's about 3 times as wide as normal, and about a foot under the old bridge, and has flooded a hay field.

A real sight.

Get into Hardy at the bridge at the Spring River, and all the riverside houses are flooded, those "stilt houses" that some of y'all might know, have got water up to their bottoms, and the Spring is looking more like the Mississippi.

Get into Mammoth Springs, and the river's still rising, and the Spring has breached levies and covered or partially submerged all withing sight of it's banks. Took out one wooden bridge, and boat docks are floating down the river.

In Thayer, same thing. Lots of cars, trucks, cameras, news crews.

Got to my "regular" package store, and...no power. Everything near the river is out. We chat in the dark, do the deed, and then head back.

Stopped at the country restaurant in Hardy to eat, and ambulance crews are coming in complaining about the rescues they've been doing for people coming in who have vacation homes by the river and just rushed in from <wherever> to see if they have water in their cabin.

Tourist couple sitting near us, we're all watching Vicksburg getting flooded on TV, ambulance crews are asking how soon the Hardy bridge will be closed and that the White has breeched in Batesville, etc., and in walks a Game & Fish officer. Looking very worn out.

Mr. Tourist perks up, and when he can make eye contact with the G & F officer, says, "How's the fishing on the Spring?".

OK, a "Kodak moment".

It defined, "pregnant silence".

G & F finally says, "Not very good, I'd bet". Shakes his head and walks away.

Me...I woulda said, "PRETTY GOOD BY BOAT, HOSS!!".

A lttle bleach in the ol' gene pool.

On the way back, we found the Strawberry had breeched, road was gone, and we had to drive 20 miles around to get back up on the hill.

It's still rising today, folks.

As mentioned, flood gates are open on the Norfork.

Sorry to hear about your cabin, Sam.

The rivers giveth, and they sure nuff take away.

About August, with the brown crunchy grass, and cow ponds drying up, we'd be begging for some rain.[/QUOTE

Just read your post. I have always liked the Delta country with the rice fields and duck hunting, so I am interested in high water in Arkansas that is headed that way. I like your writing style. Sort of like Hemingway--very lean and to-the-point and graphic. It says volumes. Let us pray for all the folks threatened by the flood and do what we can to help out in practical ways like putting some sweat, sandbags, and money where our prayers are--I know the folks in your neck-of-the-woods pitch in and help their neighbors.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:57 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,357,591 times
[quote=Kurt;3441081like putting some sweat, sandbags, and money where our prayers are--I know the folks in your neck-of-the-woods pitch in and help their neighbors.[/quote]

Thank you, Kurt. Yes we do and are.

I'm feeling for the folks in the delta because this is delaying rice planting considerably. They rely very heavily on that. In my neck of the woods it's more of just a big hassle because of the low water bridges we have to cross.

Lots and lots of cabins close to the rivers in this state, and I'll guarantee that if they are still there, they're wet.

Just ask Sam, who knows firsthand.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,962,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Anybody see the picture in the Dem Gaz of the Allyson Bridge? 3 blocks from the cabin. Jack's Landing is under water again...we have a mess again. Just barely got fixed from the last time, and here it is again....sigh...three floods in 25 years does not equal a 100 year flood plain. The river did not crest as high as predicted, so we felt lucky (if that's a feeling you can have right now).

The guy from Wildlife said he didn't expect to see this again in his lifetime, which I thought was interesting. Bet he said the same thing 3 weeks ago. We fared so much better than some of the neighbors, and some towns are under water still.
Just got back from western Arkansas. All i can say is wow! I walked toward the creek behind my daughters house and while wading thru what was a hay field, reached down and picked 2 bass!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas