U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 06:59 PM

10,686 posts, read 7,832,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but do you think all or most doctors will just sign off regardless of the actual need? I sure know mine wouldn't.
From the state website FAQs:
Quote:
Q. Are physicians required to complete the written certification form if I have a qualifying debilitating medical condition?

No, a physician is not mandated to provide a patient with a certification.
edit to add: I'm pretty sure my primary care physician would sign if I were suffering with one of those debilitating conditions. If not, I'd certainly have no qualms about switching to another PCP. I like to think most NWA physicians will respect the intent of the law and the wishes of patients who are reluctant to suffer when medical marijuana offers potential relief.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 03-26-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM

70,778 posts, read 81,940,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
No that's not what I meant... The argument for recreational uses are very different than the medical arguments and although I lean a little libertarian on a lot of my political views that wasn't what I was trying to say.

From a "medical" standpoint, I don't think it's a wonder drug by any means and I think there are downsides to it that have been minimized so far that will continue to become more apparent as more people use it. My perspective of stating "quality of life" and "responsible use" are the way I view all prescription medications, it doesn't mean I think that something that helps a patient in pain improve their functionality or minimize their suffering should be readily available for recreational use/open to just anyone... that certainly wasn't what I meant to imply.
Oh, I do realize what you were trying to say, but it didn't come out quite that way. As for who should or should not be able to get it, I am still on the fence. Though the new law covers a lot it also is vague and I trust my doctor to decide if I would benefit from using it. If he does not want to allow the use I will trust him. I can pretty much assure anyone who thinks all doctors will jump aboard, this will not be the case. My reasoning is: the problems that exist with the use of other drugs right now. We are facing a horrible drug over use epidemic now. Doctors are going to proceed very slowly on this.
the word: debilitating is a very vague word.

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

5,704 posts, read 5,511,874 times
Doctors are complicit with drug dealers (drug companies) in over-drugging Americans big-time. They aren't checking how the drugs they write out scripts for are mixing with the other drugs people are taking, and that is taking a bad toll on Americans these days. I know people who are being hurt by this and the picture ain't very pretty. Be careful!

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

691 posts, read 1,477,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Doctors are complicit with drug dealers (drug companies) in over-drugging Americans big-time. They aren't checking how the drugs they write out scripts for are mixing with the other drugs people are taking, and that is taking a bad toll on Americans these days. I know people who are being hurt by this and the picture ain't very pretty. Be careful!
That is factually incorrect. The first part is an unfortunate view of the situation and I don't even know where to begin explaining how that isn't the case.

For the second part: It's true that Americans are on more meds (largely because we have more chronic diseases) than they were in the past and that with increasingly complex medication regimens interactions are increasingly likely. However every single script system I've ever used alerts you to interactions you might have overlooked and you have to make a judgement call on risk/benefit before it will process. Pharmacists do the same review when you pick up medicines.

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh, I do realize what you were trying to say, but it didn't come out quite that way. As for who should or should not be able to get it, I am still on the fence. Though the new law covers a lot it also is vague and I trust my doctor to decide if I would benefit from using it. If he does not want to allow the use I will trust him. I can pretty much assure anyone who thinks all doctors will jump aboard, this will not be the case. My reasoning is: the problems that exist with the use of other drugs right now. We are facing a horrible drug over use epidemic now. Doctors are going to proceed very slowly on this.
the word: debilitating is a very vague word.
I agree, adoption should not be quick and rubber-stamped. That mentality of "this new drug is wonderful and has minimal downside!" is exactly what got us where we are today with regards to opioids. Most docs are going to be aware of this and I expect will be pretty cautious moving forward with it.

Old Today, 04:17 AM

5,704 posts, read 5,511,874 times
Yeah right. Careful? Not enough careful-ness going on out there. Don't overly praise doctors. They can be bought off with incentive gifts.

And greed can be a horrible thing, too.

Old Today, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Yeah right. Careful? Not enough careful-ness going on out there. Don't overly praise doctors. They can be bought off with incentive gifts.

And greed can be a horrible thing, too.
It seems you may have had an unfortunate experience and I'm sorry to hear that. I'd simply caution you against painting with too broad a brush, as I can assure you that the vast majority of docs not only don't receive any "incentive gifts" from pharma companies, they have grown to actively distrust a lot of the pharmaceutical industry. (Based off some of the industry's previous practices.) As far as greed, it can certainly be a problem for any person in any industry. However I will say that if money was the objective, sacrificing the 12+ years of your life and taking on the significant debt it takes to become a physician doesn't make any sense from a "greed" perspective, not to say that there aren't some corrupt ones out there. These days they usually get caught, at least eventually.

No group is perfect and docs are human too, but your broad generalizations do not represent 99% of the people in the field ( that went into it for noble reasons) and I resent the implication that all these people who worked so hard to be in healthcare, and try to help their patients, are somehow the source of all these problems.

Old Today, 04:12 PM

188 posts, read 140,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
It seems you may have had an unfortunate experience and I'm sorry to hear that. I'd simply caution you against painting with too broad a brush, as I can assure you that the vast majority of docs not only don't receive any "incentive gifts" from pharma companies, they have grown to actively distrust a lot of the pharmaceutical industry. (Based off some of the industry's previous practices.) As far as greed, it can certainly be a problem for any person in any industry. However I will say that if money was the objective, sacrificing the 12+ years of your life and taking on the significant debt it takes to become a physician doesn't make any sense from a "greed" perspective, not to say that there aren't some corrupt ones out there. These days they usually get caught, at least eventually.

No group is perfect and docs are human too, but your broad generalizations do not represent 99% of the people in the field ( that went into it for noble reasons) and I resent the implication that all these people who worked so hard to be in healthcare, and try to help their patients, are somehow the source of all these problems.
Agreed! It's not like they're lawyers or politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or