U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:47 AM

609 posts, read 1,874,103 times

Advertisements

Is there any new construction, not on or near the lakes in the $160,000 or less range?????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 PM

266 posts, read 830,911 times
Most 'spec houses' are more than that, but its possible.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 PM

66 posts, read 129,420 times
if you found a cheap lot, a house could possibly be built for $160,000. There were alot of people who bought lots who were going to eventually build and for whatever reason did not. They got tired of paying the assessment, stopped paying and then the POA got title to them. My father bought a home in HSV and eventually donated his lot to the Catholic church for a tax write-off. I bet if you contacted a realtor, you could find lots less than $10,000 and probably some for $5,000 or even less. Its worth a shot- just make sure that the land is build-able and that the utilities are in place.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee BBQ Boy View Post
I bet if you contacted a realtor, you could find lots less than $10,000 and probably some for $5,000 or even less. Its worth a shot- just make sure that the land is build-able and that the utilities are in place.
Yes, there are many buildable lots for sale for under $10,000. I own several dozen myself

It doesn't really matter if the utilities are in place. At the time you get a building permit, the utilites are extended if they aren't there (no additional charges to the homeowner). Also, the road is paved if it has never been previously paved. If the road was previously paved but is in bad condition, it is repaved the next summer.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:41 PM

564 posts, read 2,064,766 times
Get an apartment before you start running off and buying a house. Odds are if you hate it here you'll wind up with a house that'll sit on the market for a year or more.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Get an apartment before you start running off and buying a house. Odds are if you hate it here you'll wind up with a house that'll sit on the market for a year or more.
Two wild assumptions in one sentence, what amazing negativity.

There aren't any apartments in Hot Springs Village. There are plenty of long-term rentals.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 AM

25 posts, read 96,030 times
There are too apartment rentals in HSV

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM

36 posts, read 155,462 times
Default More about HSV

May I jump in and ask a bit about HSV also?

I agree the best thing to do when considering a place is to visit.

But: At the "considering" to "consider" a place stage, it's good to get anecdotal opinions, and that's what I'm trying to do, for our money is limited and we can't go check out all the wonderful places we hear about but must narrow it down to a few.

Looking for a place to retire...husband is in his 70's, I'm 44. He loves boating and just watching the water and is a mellow fisherman. I like hiking and growing flowers and vegetables.

I hope the other posters will understand, that when you are unfamiliar with a place, that you may have heard things about it that are not true. I have heard that the people of Arkansas are very resistant to outsiders. I can understand that, if the outsiders come in and start critcizing. But if they come in, are quiet, mind their business, and are good neighbors, etc do they have a good chance of just perking along with no interference?

We do not have a common religion and do not put our religion in anyone's face (Buddhist). We don't try to talk it up with anyone or push it on anyone or criticize their choice of religion. Where we are, the people are polite to your face, but it upsets them when they find out (they actually ask constantly about what church you go to, the minute you meet them). I have 3 neighbors who are so upset that they don't even wave or talk to us anymore, and one was sprinkling holy water over our fence. It made me so sad. I still think they are good people although they don't share our religion, but they think we are "bad." Yet when something really awful happens or they need help, they run to us. Once the crisis is past, they go back to their ways, though.

And really my husband can no longer take either heat or cold in extremes and we are so hot here in the desert.

Thank you for any additional info on HSV.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 PM

36 posts, read 155,462 times
Forget HSV, it is RIGHT in tornado alley! I'll take the holy water any day over the threat of tornados.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 AM

45 posts, read 153,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushFyre View Post
Forget HSV, it is RIGHT in tornado alley! I'll take the holy water any day over the threat of tornados.
Just FYI -- We've been in the Village 9 years and never had a tornado. Had a recent one near Benton, true. Only weather disaster we've ever had was the ice storm right after we moved here and our power was out only one day in my part of the Village.

Other than your tornado worry, this sounds like the place for you. Beautiful setting, lots of lakes, trees, walking trails, amenities, friendly people from all over the country (and many foreign countries as well). Nobody's going to hassle you because of your religion. This may be IN the Bible Belt, but the people mostly aren't from here and just don't care where you go to church.

Come see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas