U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 PM

15 posts, read 39,072 times

Advertisements

I've been away for 9 years or so, though I went back to visit once in between. I am considering uprooting my family and moving back "home." We have no familial ties here in Springfield, MO and the area is growing too fast for our tastes. Plus, as every new year passes, more and more people move to the area from who-knows-where and bring their rudeness with them. I need some southern hospitality!

My questions are (and I deeply appreciate anyone and everyone who takes the time to answer):

1) We are initially looking to rent a home. Are there any available? Rent prices? Pets? (we LOVE our pooches!) I looked on the online version of the Courier and saw no houses for rent. What gives?

2) Jobs. My wife is still working on a sociology degree, so she will probably be looking for something administrative until she does. If I can recall, there are quite a few opportunities for this type of work. Am I right?

I guess that's it. I am aware of the heat and humidity, the chicken house smells, the lack of liquor establishments, and the lack of, for the most part, any sort of yuppie ideal (thank God).

At the same time, I am also aware of the abundance of swimming holes, clean smelling air (in contrast to some other posts I have read, I find it to be refreshing there), friendly folk, and that small-town feel.

Thanks again, to all who reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times
Welcome home! I can't think of a better place to be than Russellville.

I didn't even know the Courier had gone online...good grief. I really must get out more.

You can try the major real estate companies - some of them have rental offices. I'll DM you with one I know of that has a landlord that is pet friendly; whether she has any rentals now is unknown. You might also try the bulletin board at Kroger on S. Arkansas...there always seems to be something there. I'd imagine with school letting out there might be a little bit more coming open, but probably not a lot.

I would imagine there are admin jobs open - has your wife tried locating anything through the ASU offices? I'd also think maybe the nuclear plant...the real estate market is still pretty good here and there might be opportunities there, as well as at St. Mary's.

There's been a lot of growth in R'ville, but it still is a down home kind of place. You'll be pleased with the renovations downtown, the new skate park, and on the lake and trails. The area south of Main and west of Arkansas to 8th St. is now considered a historic district and there's a neighborhood association that is really working to get Historical Society status. There's a farmer's market by the depot and they have Art Walks downtown by the depot and open air music...it's pretty fun!

Let me know if I can do anything to help you - and I'll DM you the info for a rental contact.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:22 PM

350 posts, read 1,124,646 times
There is a significant large shopping development planned for Russellville that is going to bring a lot of stores and restaurants not currently available in that area.

For a city that size it's hard to beat Russellville. It has nice scenery with the mountains and water, a nice school system, a well-kept historic downtown and a university. If I ever lived in a city that size Russellville would be it.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 PM

564 posts, read 2,063,947 times
Russellville has a bit more traffic than it used to when I started going to school here. Not so much a small town as a mid-sized town.

Rent houses...ehhh...there's a couple, but I'm not sure if I would recommend them. They're usually in the heart of downtown, and as a student at Tech, I can tell you that some of my fellow students rent them and they're not the kind of neighbors you need if you enjoy sleep. Apartments may put you in the same boat but at least you aren't paying as much as a house. I think Shiloh Creek Apartments allows small pets.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,962,328 times
I think I had a GREAT burger there last weekend on my way to Waldron- CJ's??

Old 04-19-2008, 06:53 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think I had a GREAT burger there last weekend on my way to Waldron- CJ's??

YES! On the north side of the interstate...they also have a location over about 7th and Knoxville. I love their burgers - big, sloppy, fried the way mama made 'em! Great onion rings and fries, too.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:10 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,962,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
YES! On the north side of the interstate...they also have a location over about 7th and Knoxville. I love their burgers - big, sloppy, fried the way mama made 'em! Great onion rings and fries, too.
It was a 12 napkin burger! Thats where we ended up Friday since you were busy. I will NEVER stay at that Motel 6 again though. It was terrible!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 AM

49 posts, read 150,096 times
since you have kids, all the russellville schools kg-4th are getting a big remodel over the summer to bring all the schools up to date, and adding gyms. and more class rooms, also the high school is adding a 17 millon dollars fine arts center, more class rooms, so yes you would had chose a good time to bring ur kids to russellville schools.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydbuckley View Post
I've been away for 9 years or so, though I went back to visit once in between. I am considering uprooting my family and moving back "home." We have no familial ties here in Springfield, MO and the area is growing too fast for our tastes. Plus, as every new year passes, more and more people move to the area from who-knows-where and bring their rudeness with them. I need some southern hospitality!

My questions are (and I deeply appreciate anyone and everyone who takes the time to answer):

1) We are initially looking to rent a home. Are there any available? Rent prices? Pets? (we LOVE our pooches!) I looked on the online version of the Courier and saw no houses for rent. What gives?

2) Jobs. My wife is still working on a sociology degree, so she will probably be looking for something administrative until she does. If I can recall, there are quite a few opportunities for this type of work. Am I right?

I guess that's it. I am aware of the heat and humidity, the chicken house smells, the lack of liquor establishments, and the lack of, for the most part, any sort of yuppie ideal (thank God).

At the same time, I am also aware of the abundance of swimming holes, clean smelling air (in contrast to some other posts I have read, I find it to be refreshing there), friendly folk, and that small-town feel.

Thanks again, to all who reply.
Remember, Theres a lot of Cyclones in Russellville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or