Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 AM

107 posts, read 1,203,232 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at my options. We want to relocate somewhere that doesn't get a lot of snow, in fact one or two a winter is fine with us. We would like mild like 40's and above winters where the kids can go outside with jackets and not freeze. Yet we want summers that aren't real humid, heat up to 100 is fine need be. Is Arkansas a good state for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:31 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
all of arkansas is humid, one thing about arkansas is one can never predict the weather, usually in NEA we dont get alot of snow, but we do get ice.
Arkansas weather Arkansas weather forecast weather in Arkansas

Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
I don't really think there's ANY good state for that. Anywhere you're going to have a mild winter in the US is pretty much going to be pretty darn humid in the summer. You could try a place that gets more or less NO winter.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:59 AM

36 posts, read 184,029 times
Albuquerque is a good place for the mildish winters/dry summers weather, if you can afford it.

I believe that Arizona, below Flag but well above Phx, might also fit your bill (if you can afford it, very expensive indeed).

Of course, many areas of California would be lovely in terms of weather, but this is REALLY the place to add "if you can afford it."

Have you considered some of Tennessee or the Bowling Green area of Kentucky? Also some of the spots in the Carolinas would give you that sort of weather.

Just some thoughts. We are retiring also and looking and looking for that "special place."

Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM

At this point I'm considering ANY state really. But I want to stay away from Southern California. Been there did that 16 years. Tooooo crowded! Thanks for the site, I'm going to go do the profile thing now.

I'm affraid of racism in states like NC or Georgie really bad. I have a really hard time with people who are extremely racist. That being either white or black or what ever color you are being against another. And hurricanes also scare me.. but I have heard good things about NC. I wonder if it's humid though because I've heard that also.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:40 PM

292 posts, read 1,308,486 times
Humidity is relative (no pun intended!). A person from LA feels like Arkansas is dry compared to here. Here it is like a sauna in the summer time (which has already started this year....in April!). When I'm in Arkansas, I find the humidity in the summer very bearable. I guess it's all what you're used to.

I think you would find many winter days in Arkansas where the temp would be around 40. It seems that periods of really cold weather only last a few days.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:49 PM

452 posts, read 1,640,391 times
Northwest Arkansas would be perfect for you, especially the places above 2000 ft. There are places in Wasington/Madison/Newton counties where the elevations are over 2,300 ft. Summer will be pleasant in these places even on the most humid days. Winter is quite mild anywhere in the state with only a couple of snows...

Old 04-25-2008, 01:37 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
I must add, that I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the idea that Georgia or NC have more racism than Arkansas. I don't think there would be much of a difference with that. If you are from Southern Cali, you will probably find much of AR to be quite behind-the-times in terms of things like that. Not saying it to be mean, but you'd be in for a big culture shock.

I wouldn't say that much of AR, especially the northern areas, will have a winter where you can go play outside without jackets. I wouldn't consider 40 degrees to be no-jacket weather, but that's me. If you want non-humid, stay away from NE/east AR. The delta is the most humid area!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:44 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
At this point I'm considering ANY state really. But I want to stay away from Southern California. Been there did that 16 years. Tooooo crowded! Thanks for the site, I'm going to go do the profile thing now.

I'm affraid of racism in states like NC or Georgie really bad. I have a really hard time with people who are extremely racist. That being either white or black or what ever color you are being against another. And hurricanes also scare me.. but I have heard good things about NC. I wonder if it's humid though because I've heard that also.
Racism ! It must be the Humidity .

Old 04-25-2008, 02:57 PM

I have been told about racism, I don't know it first hand. I went to Louisianna for my step dads buriel and oh my gosh was it horrid there! We were in a Piggly Wiggly (I still laugh at that name) and my change got thrown at me from the person behind the counter. Mind you I'm white, they were not. But I saw it from both sides terrible there. I don't think I can live with that all the time. And talking with a few others from another group I was in they said it was bad in those other states. But maybe it's a city thing, not through out the state? Sorry if I offended anyone, wasn't trying to at all. I have heard such great things about NC. I even did that "find your spot" thing and a ton of the cities that came up for what I want were in NC. I have a friend in Benton, Arkansas so I should ask him about his weather. Not sure where in the state that is though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas