Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 10:41 AM

36 posts, read 53,777 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My family is considering relocating from SC and AR is a possibility. Here are our criteria:

low crime
no significant drug problem (I know this is somewhat everywhere)
mountain views
access to natural beauty such as creeks, waterfalls, hiking
affordable land
low to no building restrictions (allowance of homesteading and the building of one's own home)

Does anywhere in Arkansas fit this bill? Any specific counties? I know traveling will best help to figure this out but I need to narrow it down somewhat before then. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 12:03 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydc View Post
Hi all. My family is considering relocating from SC and AR is a possibility. Here are our criteria:

low crime
no significant drug problem (I know this is somewhat everywhere)
mountain views
access to natural beauty such as creeks, waterfalls, hiking
affordable land
low to no building restrictions (allowance of homesteading and the building of one's own home)

Does anywhere in Arkansas fit this bill? Any specific counties? I know traveling will best help to figure this out but I need to narrow it down somewhat before then. Thanks!!
Except for three counties, and a few tiny pockets, everything North of the I-30/US76 corridor, and West of Batesville fits what you described. That is about one third of the state.

I lived just east of Columbia for a couple years, back around 1980. What part are you from?

Old 07-15-2020, 12:14 PM

36 posts, read 53,777 times
Thanks for the reply. Looking to leave Horry County (Myrtle Beach area). Do you know which counties may be homesteading friendly (no building codes etc...)? Maybe one with a rural feel with reasonable access to a larger town (say 30-45 minutes from a town that may have some jobs and basic shopping) And is the crime in this area not bad? I know the state as a whole has higher numbers (we are also looking at KY and their numbers are low so just trying to compare) but I also know that can be in a particular area sometimes. Is AR likely to stay conservative and does the state value personal freedom in your opinion?? Sorry for all the questions but sometimes reading for hours and I still never find exactly what I'm trying to know so this is so helpful

Old 07-15-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Looking to leave Horry County (Myrtle Beach area). Do you know which counties may be homesteading friendly (no building codes etc...)? Maybe one with a rural feel with reasonable access to a larger town (say 30-45 minutes from a town that may have some jobs and basic shopping) And is the crime in this area not bad? I know the state as a whole has higher numbers (we are also looking at KY and their numbers are low so just trying to compare) but I also know that can be in a particular area sometimes. Is AR likely to stay conservative and does the state value personal freedom in your opinion?? Sorry for all the questions but sometimes reading for hours and I still never find exactly what I'm trying to know so this is so helpful
AR will stay conservative longer than KY, and I don't know why our crime "numbers" would be higher. My impression is that they are about the same. Most of the crime happens along the Interstate corridors, so basically anywhere except there. Building codes are state wide (as they now are, in all states), due to Federal "oversight" but in counties with less than 50K population, you will find they don't pay much attention to them if you are outside city limits. (every location will vary, of course)

Old 07-15-2020, 02:15 PM

383 posts, read 399,557 times
If ur a fisherman, go look at north Ar. Im partial to Yellville cus its central to a bunch of great water. It all depends on what kind of employment needs u have.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:55 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Arkansas is consistently ranked one of the higher crime states, as are pretty much all it's immediate neighbors. Generally, if you keep to yourself and don't mess with the crazies, you'll be fine.
Some of the Delta towns and Little Rock can be particularly bad, at least in some parts, and the Ozarks struggle quite a bit with things like meth.
I lived a few different basic regions of AR which included Little Rock and the Delta(my favorite region) and survived just fine.
By national standards, I think building codes in rural areas of Arkansas would be negligible. Of course check with local governments specifically to make sure you can do whatever it is you want to do. I seriously doubt there would be any issues.

Arkansas will probably be conservative for a while longer, but who knows these days. It has pockets of liberalism and they're growing as fast as any other area, but still outnumbered for the time being.

I dunno, I grew up there and chose to leave and (try to) stay far away (like many in my generation).
For what you're wanting, a lot of people do move to Arkansas (and Missouri which is a bit more libertarian) for the same reasons and seem to like it.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:27 PM

What are these Delta towns? What Delta? I have been wondering this, ever since I got here.

As for crime, yes Little Rock has crime, but so does Louisville.
Ozarks has a problem with meth, as does every rural area I have
ever been to or discussed with people who live there.
I suspect the reporting standards being different are the reason the numbers are different.

And yes, good point about the building codes, not only do most rural areas not put any effort into enforcing them (unless you impact someone else) they are just the minimum needed to stay out of trouble with EPA and other fed agencies.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:52 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Newton County falls into most of what you want except some of it can be an hour of more to town. We have no building codes or permits and even off grid homesteading is allowed. I know many who live off grid here.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:01 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
What are these Delta towns? What Delta? I have been wondering this, ever since I got here.

As for crime, yes Little Rock has crime, but so does Louisville.
Ozarks has a problem with meth, as does every rural area I have
ever been to or discussed with people who live there.
I suspect the reporting standards being different are the reason the numbers are different.

And yes, good point about the building codes, not only do most rural areas not put any effort into enforcing them (unless you impact someone else) they are just the minimum needed to stay out of trouble with EPA and other fed agencies.
There's this little stream you may have heard of called the Mississippi River.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:33 PM

383 posts, read 399,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
There's this little stream you may have heard of called the Mississippi River.
I hear you kin ketch purty biggin catfish in dat der stream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas