U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 08:10 PM

36 posts, read 43,388 times

Advertisements

Funny question - but how are the mosquitoes? I assume the humidity is similar to SC but what about mosquitoes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 08:59 PM
sub

4,627 posts, read 2,751,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydc View Post
Funny question - but how are the mosquitoes? I assume the humidity is similar to SC but what about mosquitoes?
Humidity generally is similar. It may be ever so slightly drier but you’re certainly not going to mistake it for the desert.
Mosquitos are rough in the eastern delta. They are still quite noticeable in the Ozarks but it might depend on where you are specifically. We couldn’t comfortably sit on our porch most summer nights without being bathed in bug spray. I never figured out where the mosquitos came from since we didn’t live near any water.
Some posters on here will swear up and down that the bugs aren’t that bad where they are so your mileage may vary. Others suggest it has something to do with altitude. I remember visiting someone in Colorado, sitting on their back patio in the dry mountains of the front range, and swatting the mosquitos even there so, yeah, it's a crapshoot.

Last edited by sub; 07-18-2020 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-19-2020, 02:56 AM

6,603 posts, read 3,001,471 times
Mosquitoes are a function of areas where water can stand, within something like a quarter mile of you.
I live on the edge of a canyon. Houses 500 yards North and South of my have a mosquito problem, I don't. Usually. We get over run once in a while, right after a particularly wet period.

Ticks and Chiggers are the bigger problem, here.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:10 AM

77,786 posts, read 98,908,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Mosquitoes are a function of areas where water can stand, within something like a quarter mile of you.
I live on the edge of a canyon. Houses 500 yards North and South of my have a mosquito problem, I don't. Usually. We get over run once in a while, right after a particularly wet period.

Ticks and Chiggers are the bigger problem, here.
yes, primarily chiggers. luckily they don't even stay around the entire summer. It has been our experience by Aug they have left. Hubby is terribly affected by them but usually come early Aug and he can, at least walk outside with out getting eaten alive.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:57 AM

6,603 posts, read 3,001,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, primarily chiggers. luckily they don't even stay around the entire summer. It has been our experience by Aug they have left. Hubby is terribly affected by them but usually come early Aug and he can, at least walk outside with out getting eaten alive.
Well, that is good. I didn't know they went away in Aug.
(by then I have usually knocked them down with permethrin)

Old 07-19-2020, 01:04 PM

2,812 posts, read 2,327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
"Avoid" would be a strong word. Avoid Pine Bluff, yes, but you seem more interested in the Ozarks. Personally I'd avoid Harrison as well. It just has a weird vibe to it.
The area around I-40 along the Arkansas River valley is one of the prettier parts of the state, but you might not want to be too close to interstate there.
For what you're wanting maybe within an hour or so of Mountain Home would work. A bit more off the beaten path.
The town itself is basic, but it has most services you'd need.
Harrison is the town I go to for business and shopping. It's great town. Low crime and clean. It's also surrounded by lots of smaller rural areas that offers what the OP is looking for.

You dislike AR and continue to come on this forum to spout your negativity. Please leave it to those of us who are more familiar with certain areas such as Harrison. A "weird vibe" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read for a reason to not like a place.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:24 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Harrison is the town I go to for business and shopping. It's great town. Low crime and clean. It's also surrounded by lots of smaller rural areas that offers what the OP is looking for.

You dislike AR and continue to come on this forum to spout your negativity. Please leave it to those of us who are more familiar with certain areas such as Harrison. A "weird vibe" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read for a reason to not like a place.
I was born and raised in Arkansas. Lived there as an adult. Became more familiar with Harrison in recent years.
It’s nothing to get upset over. We’re all here spouting out opinions, which are all legitimate.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:27 PM

2,812 posts, read 2,327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I was born and raised in Arkansas. Lived there as an adult. Became more familiar with Harrison in recent years.
It’s nothing to get upset over. We’re all here spouting out opinions, which are all legitimate.
how familiar, driving through it a few times doesn't count. You and your weird vibe should crawl under a rock and stay there. You act like you're an expert on all areas of the state. I call bull *****.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:52 PM

383 posts, read 341,560 times
If DW and I were not so fond of the town of Yellville and surrounding area, Harrison would of been high on the list to live near the outskirts of because it meets all the basic needs. It seemed cleaner and better organized than Mountain Home. It's also close to three great lakes, with crooked creek and the BNR in the back yard. I'd probably choose to live a bit southeast of town, closer to the headwater of the Buffalo. I loved the stretch down 412 between mountain Home to Eureka Springs. I think it was 2017 we spent a week on that road trip adventure and it was breathtaking. Yellville was the spot we keep returning to. Kinda feels more like home. Not to mention some great fishing in the area. It was that road trip in 2017 that changed my life, my perspective on beauty.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:41 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
how familiar, driving through it a few times doesn't count. You and your weird vibe should crawl under a rock and stay there. You act like you're an expert on all areas of the state. I call bull *****.
Duly noted.

No reason to get upset over differences of opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas