U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,355 times

Advertisements

Hello: My wife & I are looking for property in the beautiful Mena area. We have many questions: What would be an average date to set out vegetables in the garden safely? Average snowfall & temps in the area? Are tornadoes a frequent threat? Is Mena located in a "dry" county? I love my beer-NOT BARS! I will be retired, (after selling business & home here in Wyoming), but could stand a part-time job there-any call for part-time welding, machining, carpentry or small engine repair? Any outstanding building codes or restrictions? About shopping in Mena: Grocery stores? Hardware store? Building supplies? Price of local gasoline (It is 3.50/gal here)? How about fishing in the area-What kind of fishing & what kinds of fish? I'm sure we will have more questions later on but this covers the highlights. Thankyou for any & all replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 AM

87 posts, read 259,617 times
Logger, We too are looking at Mena for a relocation from Arizona. You might want to read some of the thread on the inquiry we posted at the following:

Looking for a Mena Person to Comment

Good luck,
Slim

Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,969,001 times
Mena has the normal mixtures of stores. Mena IS dry. The area surrounding Mena is a fishermans PARADISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 18,497 times
Wal-Mart Superstore is the best option for groceries, etc. It has been my experience that retirees move to Mena expecting to have enough money for the long-haul. The money runs out. There are limited places that employ part-time help. Most are minimum wage jobs. Weather--four seasons makes it nice, high humidity can be oppressive. The Mena area has ticks and chiggers. The people are friendly if YOU are friendly. It is difficult to find a doctor who is accepting new patients. It is best to move to Mena in your late 50's so you and your family can develop a support system for your later years. Many families consider Mena a good place to raise children and to go to school. There are many, many actives for people of ALL ages. If you hear someone say, "There is nothing to do." You know these words are spoken by someone who does not try to find anything to do.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeofarkansas View Post
Wal-Mart Superstore is the best option for groceries, etc. It has been my experience that retirees move to Mena expecting to have enough money for the long-haul. The money runs out. There are limited places that employ part-time help. Most are minimum wage jobs. Weather--four seasons makes it nice, high humidity can be oppressive. The Mena area has ticks and chiggers. The people are friendly if YOU are friendly. It is difficult to find a doctor who is accepting new patients. It is best to move to Mena in your late 50's so you and your family can develop a support system for your later years. Many families consider Mena a good place to raise children and to go to school. There are many, many actives for people of ALL ages. If you hear someone say, "There is nothing to do." You know these words are spoken by someone who does not try to find anything to do.
Thanks for the information. Actually, I'm sitting in the Mena Public Library while I type this. We have been here a week and have found Mena a very friendly place. Yes, we've been to Walmart at least 4 or 5 times already..LOL. Even with the rain and the coming leftover from Ike, the weather has been absolutely beautifyl.
Thanks again,
Slim

Old 09-13-2008, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 18,497 times
Slim--You have found one of Mena's gems--the Polk Co Library. The library is the 4th oldest in Arkansas and checks out more items than any other library in the SW region. They need volunteers. Enjoy.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,969,001 times
Slim--Have you driven Hwy 8 west out of Mena over into Oklahoma yet? I made a beer run there a few weeks back and had no idea what a beautiful drive that was! Spectacular views! Scratched off a $500 Oklahoma lottery ticket too!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,258 times
We visited Mena last year and were impressed . We are also interested in the tornado activity in that area and would like to know about that and the gardening as well . Glad to read about the superstore, but we also like to support the mom and pop business and WILL NOT buy products from China .

Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 PM

802 posts, read 2,179,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd42 View Post
We visited Mena last year and were impressed . We are also interested in the tornado activity in that area and would like to know about that and the gardening as well . Glad to read about the superstore, but we also like to support the mom and pop business and WILL NOT buy products from China .
That part of Arkansas has tons of severe weather all year round including tornados. I'm not sure if Mena has ever suffered a direct hit though.
Severe weather can happen/happens in Arkansas at any time of the year.

Mena is a charming little town,and Wilhelmena State Park is beautiful.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd42 View Post
We're still outsiders, but have visited and done a lot of research on Mena as we hope to relocate there. ARK is on the very Eastern fringe of Tornado Alley. Since 1950, around 960 tornadoes have been reported in Ark. Mena has had only 2 tornadoes since 1896, the most recent being in Nov. 1993 doing considerable damage but no deaths. The surrounding mtns. almost 2700FT high tend to shield the community. Mena is in an area of abundant rainfall, avg. 54.5IN per year. Also, on a yearly avg. Mena may top out with a High of 100+F usually due to a prolonged dry period. The low may bottom out around 10F. It needs to have a massive Arctic cold front to get below zeroF. It also occasionally has ice storms. Because of the topography, any excessive flooding rainfall quickly drains off, with minimal damage. There have had at least 2 instances of over 10IN of rain in a day.
Although the WallyWorld SuperStore is undoubtedly the retail center of activity there are several local stores and a Sears Appliance Store which I believe can also do catalog sales and pickup. I like your "No Chinese Products" goal, but it's darn near impossible to avoid these days. I will not be surprised if General Motors Corp ends up China Motors Corp before all of that is said in done. Let's hope not though.
Hope this helps you,
Slim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas