U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 16,281 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously thinking of relocating to HSV. We like to golf, hike and fish. Can anyone tell me if the mosquitoes are a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times
Mosquitos are a way of life...you learn to cope. Bugs are a way of life...you learn to cope. HSV really isn't any different than the rest of Arkansas in that regard - unless you're up in the hills, plan on skeeters. Not as bad as the delta region, but they grow 'em large and healthy here.

You'll have more problems at sundown and the early hours of the evening, which is not when people are usually hiking or golfing. But yes, you will have mosquitos in the daytime and the more rural it is, the worse it is. I think. They were HORRIBLE last year.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:26 PM

266 posts, read 830,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Mosquitos are a way of life...you learn to cope. Bugs are a way of life...you learn to cope. HSV really isn't any different than the rest of Arkansas in that regard - unless you're up in the hills, plan on skeeters. Not as bad as the delta region, but they grow 'em large and healthy here.

You'll have more problems at sundown and the early hours of the evening, which is not when people are usually hiking or golfing. But yes, you will have mosquitos in the daytime and the more rural it is, the worse it is. I think. They were HORRIBLE last year.
I've got to take exception to that. I've lived in HSV for years, been outside on the deck late in the afternoon, play golf regularly, and very rarely get buzzed by mosquitoes and I can't remember the last i was stung.

I live about 200 yards from one of the lakes and have a low area behind my house. My only explanations is lots (LOTS) of spiders and a rocky topsoil that doesn't pool water in puddles.

We have plenty of chiggers, ticks and spiders

Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 AM

I should have added, NO cockroaches. I've lived in two houses here, one built in 1994 and one built in 2000, and neither has had cockroaches.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks for your help. Can you spray the yard and house to avoid the chiggers, ticks and spiders? Do you avoid going into the rough to get your golf ball?
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:21 AM

I think the yards can be sprayed for chiggers and ticks. Many yards are rock / mulch instead of grass anyway. I currently have the outside of the house sprayed but I'm considering dropping, I don't think its worth the trouble.

The chiggers are usually a problem in the longer grass, not so much in the regular rough. I don't think I've got a tick in the fairway or rough, but if you're in the woods looking for a ball you need to check yourself after.

Another critter you won't find much of here... Flys. They're here, but very rare.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,636 times
WOW, Hot Springs Village.

Here are some things they dont have much of.

1. Crime ( I HEAR THEY LAID OFF THERE COPS BECAUSE OF THE LOW CRIME)
2. Kids (lots of old people)
3. Traffic (Gated Community)
4. Noise (Back to no Kids)
5. Trash (?)

Why would you not want to move there. I live about 50 miles from HSV, and I hear its really nice. Id live there but dont have the $$$$$.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:08 PM

hey, we have two 4-way stops and might have to get another sooner or later!

There are two rush-30's here, they are the 30 minutes before church on Sunday and the 30 minutes before the 'shotgun' tee times in the winter.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 AM

Thanks to all for your help. Really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas