Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 02:23 AM

177 posts, read 121,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I fit in fine in Arkansas. I've been here a long, long time.
I"m with you.

21 years.... and I'm nothing at all like what Trex describes.

I love it here, would never move away, and brag about what a great place it is to anyone who will listen. I moved to AR from a highly blue state up in New England and i do miss the ocean though. I liked it there as well, but it got a little expensive when I retired.

Key to happiness, do what you love doing, my thing is nature, dogs, and I love horse racing, too.

Be a good neighbor, helpful and kind, give understanding and "walk a mile in other shoes" type philosophy, be honest and don't rip people off, and you'll get along just fine anywhere. Those are good values, to me, anyway. It's really not that hard to be a decent person, and requires no special politics, religion or anything else.

My 21 years in AR I lived in both the smallest little towns and larger ones, but mostly have stayed in the Ouachita Mountain area. Sometimes the heat / humidity does get to me though.

Last edited by pavedwithgold; 11-06-2020 at 02:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
As a native, those long stretches of heat and humidity finally did me in. Once we got a taste of not having to deal with those combination of things to any great degree, the thought of going back seems less and less likely.
Where did you end up, sub?

Old 11-06-2020, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I loved my times in Ar and would move back if we hadn't found paradise at the foot of the Smoky Mountains here in Tn.
And where did you end up, grampaTom? A friend just moved to Cookeville TN and likes it very much. I don't know how that would compare to say, Hot Springs, AR (seem simiilar in terms of population).

Old 12-31-2020, 12:50 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
It isn't hard to figure out.

Love our Creator.
Support America and the Constitution.
Respect the rule of law.
Enjoy the outdoors and nature,
Don't try to restrict property rights of those in the rural areas.
Don't drink Leftist Koolaid.
Etc.
Sounds like a perfect fit for me!

Old 01-01-2021, 06:07 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavedwithgold View Post
And where did you end up, grampaTom? A friend just moved to Cookeville TN and likes it very much. I don't know how that would compare to say, Hot Springs, AR (seem simiilar in terms of population).
Just outside Maryville.
sorry for the late reply.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Having a rosy but sadly inaccurate view of places one hopes to move is pretty common, at least here on C-D. As a Kentuckian (with deep Arkansas roots), I've read post after post from folks wanting to move close to Lexington, and have five to ten acres so they can keep horses. On budgets of $100,000 or less, and that would have to include house and stables.

Ain't gonna happen. Sure, we're the Heart of the Bluegrass, noted for elegant thoroughbred horse farms, but that budget is highly unrealistic - and zoning prevents mini-farms in Fayette County, home to Lexington, to help preserve the scenic but endangered Bluegrass region. Can't buy rural land unless it's 40 acres or more, unless it got grandfathered in when that zoning went into affect, many years ago. And you sure can't buy it for under $100,000.

So I gently advise novice Kentucky inquirers to take a look at surrounding counties, and to up their budget, and to come visit in person.

I'd do the same for would-be new Arkansas residents, with strong emphasis upon spending time in Arkansas themselves, particularly whatever part they have an eye on, ideally during August or January, usually the least comfortable times, to see how they get along.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:21 PM

30 posts, read 26,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Well, CA is on my list of places I don't want to move to
but I am not sure why you are mentioning it here.

This is more about why we might steer someone away from a place we love.
Just because we love it, doesn't mean it would be a good fit for everyone.

I don't mind him mentioning it here. It's a great example of just how badly things can get. It's something I wish people moving here from Cali would keep in mind when they move here and start trying to turn Arkansas into the wasteland they've just left.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:23 PM

30 posts, read 26,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Having a rosy but sadly inaccurate view of places one hopes to move is pretty common, at least here on C-D. As a Kentuckian (with deep Arkansas roots), I've read post after post from folks wanting to move close to Lexington, and have five to ten acres so they can keep horses. On budgets of $100,000 or less, and that would have to include house and stables.

Ain't gonna happen. Sure, we're the Heart of the Bluegrass, noted for elegant thoroughbred horse farms, but that budget is highly unrealistic - and zoning prevents mini-farms in Fayette County, home to Lexington, to help preserve the scenic but endangered Bluegrass region. Can't buy rural land unless it's 40 acres or more, unless it got grandfathered in when that zoning went into affect, many years ago. And you sure can't buy it for under $100,000.

So I gently advise novice Kentucky inquirers to take a look at surrounding counties, and to up their budget, and to come visit in person.

I'd do the same for would-be new Arkansas residents, with strong emphasis upon spending time in Arkansas themselves, particularly whatever part they have an eye on, ideally during August or January, usually the least comfortable times, to see how they get along.
Hell, I can't do that here in Russellville on that budget.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:19 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
Yeah, let’s stop the land rush to Kentucky right now; you can’t do that in any of the counties surrounding Fayetteville County, Kentucky either. Tell me otherwise, and I might buy (mobile homes excluded).

Old 01-08-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylfen View Post
I don't mind him mentioning it here. It's a great example of just how badly things can get. It's something I wish people moving here from Cali would keep in mind when they move here and start trying to turn Arkansas into the wasteland they've just left.
My bff lives in So Cal, walks to beach every day, loves the weather, uses the bike trails heavily.

Not everyone thinks it's a wasteland.

I can sure show you some REAL wastelands around OK and AR in my region, where people don't want to pay any taxes and their communities reflect that....

...backwater towns with no ammenities at all. Not even a decent public library, good schools, or decently paved roads, let alone a communtiy college, hospital, community pool, decent parks, etc.

It's a balance. You get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas