U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 AM

16 posts, read 37,621 times

Advertisements

We are getting closer to buying some property either in the Mountain Home or Hot Springs area. I have to have my fishing fix regularly (if not daily when we move in the future) and have not been disappointed in the Mountain Home area. My wife enjoys hiking and we enjoy nice trail systems for that. We've been to Mountain Home a bit and are thinking of visiting Hot Springs this fall. We are a few years away from the actual move but I am an avid planner. What are your fishing thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 11:25 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,356,335 times
I've also thought of Mountain Home as a retirement destination, also Harrison looks like it's between Table Rock and Bull Shoals, We will be out in a few weeks to look at both...
Gotta have a bass fishing fix and Wifie needs room for horses...

Old 05-03-2008, 01:42 PM

90 posts, read 220,245 times
I grew up in Hot Springs and my dad was an avid fisherman (until he found golf ). From what I understand, Lake Ouachita is wonderful when it comes to fishing. It is a gorgeous lake. When I was a kid we would get in a boat and go out to an island on the lake and camp out for the week and never see another person. The lake is about 20 to 30 minutes outside of town, but well worth the trip. No houses can be built on it, and IIRC, it is one of the cleanest lakes in the country (#2, maybe?).

The hiking in HS is wonderful, too. You don't have to look very far to find interesting trails and beautiful scenery.

Hot Springs is a unique town...it definitely has a far different feel than Mountain Home.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:39 PM

27 posts, read 122,032 times
Default Let's get to the important stuff!!!

I moved to Hot Springs many years ago and it is like being on vacation all year long. There are four major lakes in our area...lots of beautiful mountain trails to hike and many bike trails as well. There all types of activities from art galleries to camping and everything in between. I think you should at least give us a look. PineHollowGal

Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,857,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I've also thought of Mountain Home as a retirement destination, also Harrison looks like it's between Table Rock and Bull Shoals, We will be out in a few weeks to look at both...
Gotta have a bass fishing fix and Wifie needs room for horses...
Hey Cali, if you're wanting to get in some fishing when you come out, you may want to hold off on that trip for a couple of months. I'm not much of a fisherman myself but I just heard today that the fishing is horrible right now. All the lakes are at near record levels so the fish have all the food they can handle and aren't biting on anything. And that's IF you can find a place to even put your boat in the water. A LOT of the ramps are under water right so people can't get their boats in the water and those that are docked at marinias need a boat to get to their boat. I know this is a bit OT but I wanted to let you know. Maybe there are some real fishermen who can tell you more about when things might get better.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:49 PM

13 posts, read 48,798 times
Default hot springs

I grew up in Hot Springs and know that it is very different than Mtn. Home, which I have also visited. I think you'll know what you want when you can compare the two from your visits to each. I never fished, but had many many guy friends that did. Mark Davis is a famous fisherman from the area around Lake Ouachita. And here's some help before you get into town and mispronounce it- the lake is said like "Wash-e-taw"

As far as hiking goes, Hot Springs has everything and more.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:23 PM

16 posts, read 37,621 times
Thanks everyone for posting back. And THANKS for the info on Hot Springs. We might try to squeeze in a trip around September or early October.

Having visited Mountain Home a few times we love the area for its lack of mosquitos, its beauty and the outdoors it offers. But when we retire we also want an area where folks like to socialize (not that folks in Mountain Home don't!) and the Hot Springs area seems to fit that bill more. Access to Little Rock is also a plus due to airport, expanded healthcare options, etc...

Is the weather that different? I use a weather comparison webpage and it doesn't seem too diverse.

I really want to see Lake Oauchita (sp?) and the other lakes around there. It also states that there are 9 lakes in HSV. I haven't golfed for 5 or 6 years but could be persuaded to get back into the game with little prompting. The pools and health club is also an attraction.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas