Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:48 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,205,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Butterfly, We just returned from a visit to Mena in September. We looked at a lot of property and although we didn't conclude a purchase, we are still seriously considering one in particular.
Hey, Slim, I gotta ask......

What's up with Arizona, anyway?

I've had a few friends migrate out there. Now, these folks weren't poor, and the big-time country club scene was not out of the question, but the last couple of years I've been hearing that "so and so is moving to....".

I've heard complaints about heat, brown grass/plants, crime in Phoenix or Tuscon being out of control, little things like that, but am I seeing a migration from AZ or is it just that exposure makes it appear that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 PM

87 posts, read 298,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Hey, Slim, I gotta ask......

What's up with Arizona, anyway?

I've had a few friends migrate out there. Now, these folks weren't poor, and the big-time country club scene was not out of the question, but the last couple of years I've been hearing that "so and so is moving to....".

I've heard complaints about heat, brown grass/plants, crime in Phoenix or Tuscon being out of control, little things like that, but am I seeing a migration from AZ or is it just that exposure makes it appear that way?
Well for us, after over half a century here it's just gotten too big.. and yes, too hot. Up until the early 70's this was a nice western town with friendly people and considerably cooler nights in the summer. Yes, for the Country Club set, there are some really beautiful areas to live in... at a price. Slim and the cowgirl raised four younguns here and now that we're retired it's an opportunity for probably our last change. Ol Slim was born and spent his first fourteen years in a midwest town of less than 2000, and would kind of like to get back to as close to that lifestyle as you can these days. I don't think there is any mass exodus, but now that the Phoenix area is in excess of 3million the number leaving probably gets more recognition. As Arizona has few small towns compared to the East, Midwest, and South, those fleeing Phoenix or Tucson usually look out of state. The wide open lifestyle that used to exist here has been replaced by freeways, shopping malls, homeowner associations, cell phones, and yes.. illegal immigration, crime, and big city values. And we love the Green Quachitas.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,205,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
The wide open lifestyle that used to exist here has been replaced by freeways, shopping malls, homeowner associations, cell phones, and yes.. illegal immigration, crime, and big city values.
Well, that's what some folks are calling "progress", Slim.

Hopefully there will be parts of AR that will be the last to see that.

I was curious because I heard such glowing reports from folks moving out there, and then a few years down the road they're leaving the state.

I was hearing about the severe penalties for disturbing cactus and such, so at least AZ recognizes that man can be his own worst enemy.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:03 PM

17 posts, read 58,655 times
Ditto...same for California, too many people, too much building up, too expensive. We too are looking for a small town, friendly people, peace. I would not want to change anything there, as I know sometimes when outsiders move in, they want to change things. We are the ones who need to blend. We currently share an access road, and when "flatlanders" move in, they want to change out everything that country is all about. Don't change Mena, blend with it, cherish it. :-)

Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 44,340 times
I moved here to Mena in 2005 from Florida (or should I say escaped) Even though I am a realtor, I am VERY much against un-contolled growth. One of the reasons I chose Mena is because there is NO freeway. I understand there are plans for one, but there is no predicting when. It is a money and priority thing, and this particular project is not real high on the list. Needless to say if there is a property listed that is even close to any of the proposed routes it is SUPPOSED to be disclosed prior to any sale. Any realtor not disclosing this fact is financially and ethically liable. Please note that I said REALTOR, not real estate agent. A realtor is a member of the board and is trained in ethics and held to a higher standard. Needless to say I love it here and do not want to change a thing other than to encourage a revitalization of our downtown.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:35 PM

87 posts, read 298,350 times
Thanks for the words of wisdom Tutufay. I don't think that Freeway will materialize in our lifetime, so we haven't paid too much attention to it. We've limited our property search to primarily within the city limits so I think we'll be pretty safe with that. Yes, it would be nice to see downtown Mena revitalize, but I hope it would be with local business and not just fast food chains and such. I hear the bowling alley is opening again, so there's a step in the right direction.
Enjoy the winter for spring is just around the corner.
Slim

Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,538 times
This topic makes me think of Queen Wilhemina State Park and Lodge. That's one of the most beautiful places in Arkansas!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,340,619 times
I hope your right with no freeway. I generally take part of route 71 going North instead of 1 540 but with all this new money coming in they have to built freeways somewhere. I hate to see Mena get one. You see once you do like the Indian Turnpike near McAlester, the locals all go to Tulsa instead of staying and shopping in their own home town.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:42 PM

17 posts, read 58,655 times
After the tornado, how is everyone? I have seen the pics, and it is so sad. My heart goes out to you all.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM

806 posts, read 2,958,923 times
Yes, the tornado sucks.

Gorgeous area, I wouldn't mind getting some vacation property here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas