Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:09 PM

22 posts, read 84,978 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move from Memphis (what I consider murderville) to Hot Springs. Someone recently posted on the Memphis board that while violent crimes in Memphis are higher than Hot Springs, that overall crime (I assume property crime) is very high in Hot Springs. Everytime I've been in HS, I just didn't get the impression that crime was an issue at all when compared to Memphis.

One of the primary reasons for relocation is to leave the thugs back in Memphis and be in a world that is more laid back, party oriented vice, some gangland like I'm in here in Memphis.

I plan to buy a place on Lake Hamilton.

What's the story HS residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 09:29 PM

90 posts, read 249,932 times
I grew up in HS and my whole family is there. There are some sketchy areas, but I have never worried about crime or felt unsafe there. I personally wouldn't worry about any of the places on Lake Hamilton.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 PM

288 posts, read 1,079,905 times
I used to work near the Memphis airport, and that felt much more dangerous than anything in Hot Springs.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:21 AM

22 posts, read 84,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAtkins View Post
I used to work near the Memphis airport, and that felt much more dangerous than anything in Hot Springs.
That's what I thought. Thanx you guys. I think the Memphis (murderville)board is just trying to put a good face on a scary place.

However, what are the scary places/neighborhoods in Hot Springs for an fyi perspective so that I know not to ever hang out in that area?

Thanx again for the responses - my kids and I look forward to moving there.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:49 AM

350 posts, read 1,288,505 times
I have a place on Lake Hamilton and I absolutely would not if I were worried about crime. There are a handful of parts of town that are fairly high in crime but these are far from the lake and generally in areas you would have little cause to travel through. Like Little Rock, you have to seek out the bad areas as opposed to Memphis and New Orleans, where they can be tough to avoid. I think there is some burglary rings that target vacant tourist rentals or abandoned weekend homes but those are going to be common in any tourist town.

My family had a condo on the lake for 25 years on Long Island and I never remember hearing about a single thing happening there, even petty crimes.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,509 times
From visiting Hot Springs numerous (around 4/5) times recently, it looks really safe- MUCH safer than here in Memphis...

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Oh, there are a few sketchy areas in Hot Springs. No place I've felt fear, but a little less than savory..like the area just east of the convention center, what is that, Reserve Street?, and also around Cedar Street in the north part of downtown off of Park.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM

27 posts, read 140,964 times
Default How much crime in Hot Springs

I have lived in Hot Springs for over 20 years. Moved here from Dallas. I live at the lake and drive in to work everyday. I think these days you have to be alert to your surroundings now matter where you are. Just pay attention to what is happening around you and you will probably be fine. I will be in Memphis this weekend for a dog show and I do the same there..watch out around me.....PinehollowGal

Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Crime can be found anywhere including Hot Springs, but certainly not like Memphis. Like has been mentioned, you do have to be aware of your surroundings, but I would bet the crime there is as low as you can find almost anywhere as long as you stay out of the seedy areas which are not many.

Nita

Old 09-26-2008, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,146 times
We moved from Houston, Texas four years ago. We checked crime statistics and found that the crime rate per capita in Hot Springs is 3 times higher than the national average and higher than Houston. We have had 2 GPS units stolen from our cars in the last 3 months. There have been rampant burglaries of automobiles lately. Also my neighbors on both sides have had UPS packages stolen in broad daylight, one while he was home. We like Hot Springs, but I am really disturbed with the amount of petty theft here. I live in a nice area and the police have told me that these areas are being targeted right now as well as property near the lake.

Last edited by fed up with crime; 09-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas