Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,808 times

Advertisements

Ok so my husband is transferring jobs to Quitman Arkansas, Im nervous about the change. We have been looking for a decent size city to move to. I need help, I was thinking maybe Conway?? I need anybodys input on that! Or do you have any other suggestions? Hes 31 and Im 26 we have to little boys, 1 with cerabal palsy, and my other one is just turned 3. Does anybody know if they offer therapy in the school districts there, also if there is any pre-k programs?

We currently live in Ft. Worth Texas, I been here for 15 yrs, before that I lived in Missouri, moved around all my childhood and hate to do that to my children. But if it means more money for him, then we are coming! But I WANT TO STAY! So please...please...PLEASE....if anybody has any suggestions on where a great place to live (near Quitman) LET ME KNOW!

I am hoping to find a city that has Walmart, a few restaurants and so forth.....you know...the basic needs!

I'm very nervous, I think im already getting home sick by just reading everybodys post. But sometimes a change can be a good thing. Atleast I will be closer to my home state (Missouri)!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM

106 posts, read 470,930 times
Default Nice Quiet Area

First, it's a great area for trees, views, and nature. You will find it cooler temp wise than Fort Worth, lots of outdoor actives to enjoy, and lakes near by to explore.

You have a choice on Walmarts by location. Clinton, Heber Springs, Searcy, or Conway. Heber Springs is a nice resort community and closest to Quitman. Greenbrier is a nice little town but doesn't have a Walmart. Conway is a great ArmChair town to Little Rock. Lots of people live in Conway (besides the college/Unv located there) but they mostly work towards Little Rock, so you would not be getting traffic coming from Quitman.

Personally, I have lived in Searcy and Conway, and both have their plus and minus. Conway is a bigger town than Searcy. I would say that most of the roads from Quitman will be two lane with best towards Conway heading to 25.

Otherwise, you will be suffering a bit of culture shock in that area, it is very rural with most of the shopping, Major food/Rest, etc heading back into Conway or Little Rock.

Think of this area like out past Eagle Lake on the West side of the lake.

Last edited by Fasder; 06-01-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
You might try Greenbrier. Its a short drive to Conway if you need anything more than what the small town offers, yet its closer to your husband's job. Not sure if fuel prices are a consideration for you, but its something to think about. If thats not an issue, Conway is great and is known for its good schools. Most people who live in Conway actually work in Little Rock, so your commute will be in the opposite direction of traffic.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:11 PM

106 posts, read 470,930 times
I just noticed that one of your children has Cerabal Palsy. I would say Conway is your best choice for help if you need medical support. Most of the communities north of Conway will have limited long term care for children with Disabilities. I know that my daughter lived in Cleveland with my ex wife ( Downs Syndrome) and she had some support in Russellville but still had to go to Conway or Little Rock to get advanced care.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM

Default Thank You

Thank you a bunch for the replys. We are hoping to come up in the next week or two to check it out!

Got a few questions if y'all can help!!

1) Approx. how far of a drive is quitman to conway??

2) How is the oilfield up there?! <----thats what he currently is doing (hauling water)

3) Conway and pre-k programs? Does anybody know if they offer that?!!

Thanks again!!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You might try Greenbrier. Its a short drive to Conway if you need anything more than what the small town offers, yet its closer to your husband's job. Not sure if fuel prices are a consideration for you, but its something to think about. If thats not an issue, Conway is great and is known for its good schools. Most people who live in Conway actually work in Little Rock, so your commute will be in the opposite direction of traffic.

Approx. how far in between is Greenbrier and Conway??

Old 06-02-2008, 04:51 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
10 miles?

Call Easter Seals in Little Rock - they have one of the finest programs in the state - I'm sure they could tell you about services in the area you intend to settle in. I have a nephew who went there who is autistic, and his brother and sister also attended the kindergarten. A fabulous place all the way around.

Easter Seals Arkansas: Locations

Phone: (501) 227-3602 or (501) 221-1063

Old 06-02-2008, 08:07 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
I live in Greenbrier (for another couple of weeks) and work in Conway. If you want to be around other folks who work in the oil/gas industry, Greenbrier is the place for you. All of our neighbors work for the gas company. We're the odd-ones-out on our street. But there's not much to speak of in Greenbrier; no shopping, good restaurants, diversity of churches, or anything like that.

Conway has more to 'do', though it has nowhere near enough for a town of 55,000. Commercial development has not kept pace with population growth there. There's more coming, though.

There are pre-k programs in both Greenbrier and Conway.

I don't know whether Easter Seals has services in Conway or not; however, if it does not, the Easter Seals facilities in Little Rock are on Cantrell Road on the city's northwestern edge, only 35 minutes or so from Conway.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas