Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:15 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times

Advertisements

I CANNOT believe the good people of this area voted their obviously deranged mayor into office. I hope there is a public outcry about this in and around this area. Unbelievable. Let's give Arkansas another black eye.

Mayor turns dogs loose Freed in the St. Francis Forest - Helena, AR - Helena Daily World (http://www.helena-arkansas.com/news/x441908968/Mayor-turns-dogs-loose-Freed-in-the-St-Francis-Forest - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
I just watched an interview on KAIT about that joker. He needs to stay away from cameras and stick to print because he truly shines as a moron on TV. I guess those two towns really do just want to destroy themselves from the inside out.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:40 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
I saw that interview on KAIT also.

Unbelievable is the only word I can think of, but that just doesn't have the right ring.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:15 AM

Abandoning an animal is a CRIME in Arkansas. Let's hope someone steps up to the plate on this one. I'm in rescue and try to save animals, but there has to be some reality, and one reality is that there are worse things than euthanasia. This would be one of them. I hope the people of W. Helena step forward, find these animals, and give them a home...my mouth is just hanging open. And not a word in the Democrat (or our edition, anyway) about it today.

WREG-TV Memphis - UPDATE: Dogs Released Into Woods (http://www.wreg.com/global/story.asp?s=8485252 - broken link)

A day in the life of a mayor? Puh-leez....if the shelter was closed down 6 months ago, why didn't he make an effort to contact an all breed rescue for assistance? He believes dogs were created to fend for themselves, but says this will be survival of the fittest?

Unfortunately, the only dog they show is completely unsocialized (after being kept in a cage on the sanitation lot for 6 months, there's no big surprise there).

I'd encourage the Arkansans in that area to support the humane society in their efforts to locate the dogs....and I'd encourage the voters in that area to abandon this man at the next opportunity. Survival of the fittest and all.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-14-2008 at 05:36 AM..

Old 06-14-2008, 03:00 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
The mayor made the statement, when asked about what would happen if a dog attacked a child, that the owner of the "stray" would be in trouble, and that the "city don't own no dogs".

I would hate for that to happen, but if it did, Mr. Mayor is going to get a crash course in "Liability".

The magic "CCC", Care...Custody..and Control, has bitten more people than stray dogs could ever hope to.

Although I am not familiar with most statutory law in the State of Arkansas, I can only imagine, from a criminal or quasi-criminal level, how many violations he effected with that one swift move of his mayoral authority.

Not to mention civil liability.

I am shocked that city counsel didn't prevent this action.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:50 PM

48 posts, read 256,794 times
Maybe someone should contact PETA, they would be on this like flies on you know what!
They are also financially backed so they could legally pursue this.
How can you expect dogs that have depended on being taken care of to fend for themselves? That means garbage, chicken coops, roadside waste,which will result in sick from putrid rancid garbage, shot or poisoned by farmers, and hit by vehicles, all of these things leading to horrid suffering deaths.
Or traveling in packs, terriffing the general public so that again they must be shot or poisoned.
Sad, so very sad that there wasn't another candidate to vote in for office and sad that the town council hasn't removed him from office for incompetence.
Shame on everyone. Surely not good for that community.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:59 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,629 times
My heart bleeds at the mere thought of those poor animals having to defend/feed themselves. Maybe this can get national attn and some group can step in and help. This is ridiculous. Poor animals!

Old 06-16-2008, 03:05 AM

I've contacted Marion Berry, 1st District...hey, he may be more involved with federal stuff, but he lives in the 1st District and holds a lot of sway. I doubt I'm the first one to write him.
U.S. Rep. Marion Berry - First District, Arkansas (http://www.house.gov/berry/messageform.html - broken link)

Clark Hall is a state rep for Helena:
Information of Member (http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/scripts/ablr/members/ARmembers3b.asp?mcode=193 - broken link)

Dustin McDaniel, the state attorney - this is a criminal offense, after all:
Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel

County Judge

The Honorable Don Gentry
Phillips County Judge
620 Cherry, 208
Helena, AR. 72342

I’m still trying to find out the City Council members’ names…interestingly, they aren't readily available. Nor is he if you contact his office...

But get THIS – James Valley is an ATTORNEY! A look-see through the Arkansas Bar Association was pretty revealing -he's had a number of reprimands for professional conduct violations.

So far there's been no sighting of the dogs, or there wasn't as of Saturday:

ArkansasMatters.com - Humane Society Searches For Dogs (http://arkansasmatters.com/content/fulltext/news/?cid=73321 - broken link)

Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,115 times
I cannot believe the coldhearted stupidity this man has displayed. Today on the news he stated, "it was just 10 dogs". Well buddy bubba those dogs were living, breathing creatures that only need food, water and shade. It was reported that one of the dogs was bleeding!!! Are there no vets in the area that would or could donate some time? If Helena/W Helena cannot take care of 10 dogs that's pathetic!

I suppose it would have taken too much energy to pick up the phone and ask a nearby city with a REAL shelter to take the dogs? It takes a cold hearted person to do what he did. Knowing those TEN dogs will surely die of dehydration, starvation or heat which are cruel ways to die. If the mayor was forced to live in the elements without food and water, I must wonder if he would still think it was NOT a big deal! This is animal neglect/abuse and there is NO way to deny it.

I heard today the Humane Society was not going to file charges!!! This man commited animal neglect! When you have idiots doing things like this to innocent animals and do nothing what is the HS good for?????????

With the picture the mayor and this story has painted about Helena/W Helena...tell the last person out to turn the lights out and forget the place!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 PM

48 posts, read 256,794 times
Well if he isn't held accountable for this incident then shame on all that were in a position to do something on a local level. They are all just as guilty as he is. Perhaps was a conspiricy to start with. Never know.
If I was on that board I would distance myself from all of the rest of them and do the right thing.
Shame, shame,shame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas